Tamarind trees are found all over India. Besides it, its trees are also found in America, Africa and other countries of Asia. Its trees are very big. Its 8 years old tree gives fruits. Tamarind ripens itself in the months of February and March. Tamarind is mixed in vegetables, pulses, sauce and many other products to make them tasty. It makes mouth fresh due to sour in taste. Old tamarind is more qualitative than new. Tamarind leaves are used to cook vegetable and its flowers are used to make sauce. The wood of tamarind tree is very strong, so people make axe’s handle of its wood.
Name in different languages:
English : Tamarind
Hindi : Emli
Gujrati : Aambali
Marathi : Chinch
Bengali : Tetula
Persian : Timir Hindi
Arabic : Tamar Hindi
Harmful effects: Raw tamarind is heavy, hot and very sour. The person whose body is not suitable for tamarind should not take tamarind because it may be the cause of tooth sourness, headache, jaw pain, breathing problems, cough and fever.
Fruit pulp : 6 to 24 grams
Seed powder : 1 to 3 grams
Useful in different diseases:
1. Blood piles:
- Make the fine powder by grinding bark of tamarind tree and filter it with the help of a cloth. Taking this powder with cow’s curd twice a day is useful to get relief.
- Drinking juice of tamarind leaves is useful to get relief in bloody piles.
- Lick 1 to 2 grams ash of tamarind seeds with curd; it cures bloody piles.
- Taking 6 grams ash of tamarind bark with about 55 grams raw kernels twice a day for 5-6 days is useful.
- Soak 125 grams tamarind seeds in 250 ml milk for 3 days. After 3 days, peel these seeds and grind. Take 6 grams this preparation with water or cow milk; it cures spermatorrhoea.
- Taking 10 grams ash of tamarind bark with 40 ml goat’s urine is useful.
- Soak tamarind in the water for some time then crush it and drink, it provides relief in jaundice.
4. Scorpion poison: Grind toasted seeds of tamarind until show its white part then apply it on the affected part, this seed will remove itself after sucking poison.
- Soak tamarind into water and mix a little quantity of sugar in it. Drinking this water 2-3 times a day is useful to end headache.
- Soak 10 grams tamarind in 1 glass of water then crush it and filter. Mix sugar in this preparation and drink, it cures headache caused by bile.
- Mix powder or ash of tamarind bark in the hot water. Drinking this mixture provides relief in headache.
6. Rat poison: Taking 40 grams tamarind and 20 grams khorasan thorn with old ghee regularly for 7 days is beneficial to alleviate rat poisoning.
7. Eyes pain: Heat green leaves of tamarind with castor leaves and extract juice from these. Grind puffed alum and opium equal gram with this juice in a copper pot. Soak cloth in this mixture and keep it on the eyes, it provides relief from eyes pain.
8. Indigestion: Burn upper bark of tamarind and prepare ash from it. Taking about 6 grams ash with warm water before going to the bed at night is useful to end indigestion.
9. Anorexia: Eat sauce of tamarind leaves; it cures anorexia and increases appetite.
10. Indian hemp (Bhang) intoxication: Drinking boiled water of tamarind ends intoxication due to take Indian hemp.
11. Anorexia and bile: Soak ripe and pulpy tamarind in cold water and mix sugar in it. Mix cardamom seeds, cloves, camphor and black pepper in the above mixture. Gargling with this mixture many times a day cures anorexia and eliminates bile disorder.
12. Constipation and bile: Boil 1 kilogram tamarind with 2 liters water for 12 hours until it remains half then mix 2 kilograms sugar in it to make the syrup. Giving 20 to 50 ml this syrup to the constipation patient at night and to the bile patient in the morning provides relief.
13. Indigestion and anorexia: Soak old tamarind equal the betel-nut in 250 ml water in a pot. When it soluble properly then crush it with hands and pour its water in the other pot. Mix black salt, cumin seed and sugar in this water and fry it with ghee and asafetida. This mixture of this water is very tasteful and helpful in digestion.
14. Urticaria: Soak about 1 kilogram tamarind in water in a pot at night. In the next morning, boil above mixture on the flame properly then filter it and mix 2 kilograms sugar in it to make treacle. Giving 10 grams treacle to the patient many times day checks bile disorders and prevents vomiting. It is called “Tamarind’s syrup”.
15. Intoxication of wine, Indian hemp and intoxicated drugs: Soak 30 grams tamarind, 30 grams date-palm, black grapes, pomegranate seeds, Asiatic greevia and Indian goose berry 10 grams each in half kilogram water. Filter this mixture and prepare syrup from it. If someone feels intoxication, drink a little quantity of above syrup, it ends intoxication.
16. Vomiting and acidity: Burn tamarind bark with its peels to make the ash. Mix 10 grams ash in 1 glass of water and drink, it prevents vomiting quickly. This water should be drunk after the meals; it ends vomiting and burning sensation caused by acidity.
17. Stomach pain:
- Lick 2 grams tamarind ash with honey; it provides relief from stomach pain.
- Drinking cold syrup of tamarind’s leaves provides relief from stomach pain.
18. Tamarind jam (gulkand): First of all, make a layer of tamarind flowers in a glass pot after that spray sugar-candy on this. This process should be continued until fill the pot then put it in the sun for 8 days. This jam is very useful to eliminate bile disorders.
19. Cholera: Grind equal quantity of garlic (immersed in whey and peeled) and marking nut with pulp of old tamarind. Make tablets equal gram from the above mixture. Take 1 tablet with 1 teaspoon onion juice after every 15 minutes; it provides relief.
20. Early ejaculation: Soak 500 grams seeds of tamarind in water for 4 days. Peel these seeds and dry in shadow. Make the powder by grinding these seeds and mix equal quantity of ground sugar-candy in it. Taking ¼ teaspoon of this powder with milk twice a day; it cures early ejaculation within 50 days and makes sperm thick.
21. Sun-stroke and intoxication of wine and Indian hemp: Soak 50 grams tamarind in 500 ml water for 2 hours. Crush it and filter then mix any sweet product according to taste in this like- ground sugar, sugar-candy and sugar and filter it again. Take this mixture; it provides relief from sun-stroke, restlessness, nauseate and other disease. It sets the motions and ends intoxication of Indian hemp and wine. It also reduces burning sensation of the body.
22. Anorexia: Mix salt, black peeper and toasted cumin seeds in tamarind juice. Drinking this juice cures anorexia and fits mouth taste.
23. Excessive warmth:
- If the patient feels over thirst due to any diseases or warmth, grind tamarind seeds to make the powder. Giving 1 to 3 grams this powder to him 2-3 times a day quenches thirst and provides coolness.
- Rubbing pulp of ripe tamarind on the soles and palms removes the effect of sun-strokes. Soak 25 grams tamarind in 1 glass of water. Drink this water; it protects from sun-strokes in the summer.
24. Heart inflammation: Taking juice of ripe tamarind with sugar-candy is beneficial to end heart inflammation.
- Grind kernels of tamarind seeds on a clean stone piece like sandal. Apply this preparation on stye; it provides coolness and cures stye quickly.
- Remove red cover from tamarind seeds and grind with water. Apply this mixture on stye; it provides relief.
- Grind tamarind seeds with water and apply it on stye like sandal wood paste, it provides quick relief.
26. Plague, fever and jaundice: Drinking tamarind water regularly cures plague, jaundice and fever caused by warmth.
27. Boils, pimples and wound:
- Crush 30 grams pulp of tamarind with 1 glass of water. Taking this mixture is beneficial to cure the boils and pimples.
- Heat 10 grams leaves of tamarind plant and make a packet from these. Tying this packet on boils cures them quickly.
- Tying packet of tamarind seeds on pimples cures them earlier.
- Take juice of tamarind leaves; it provides relief. Grind tamarind seeds with lemon juice and apply it on the ringworms, it cures them.
- Grind tamarind seeds with vinegar and apply it on ringworms, it provides quick relief.
- Grind tamarind seeds with lemon juice and apply it on the ringworms, it cures them.
- Mix 40 grams powder of gallnut, 5 grams ash of tamarind bark and about 3.20 grams camphor with coconut oil. Apply this mixture on the ringworms; it cures them properly.
29. Small pox: Taking 3 to 6 grams powder of tamarind leaves with cold water thrice a day is useful to get relief in small pox.
30. Vatta disorders: Grind leaves of tamarind plant with wine and heat it lightly. Tying this preparation on the affected part provides relief.
31. Swelling: Fomenting swollen part with heat leaves of tamarind plant is useful to get relief.
32. Hoarseness: Taking 1 gram powder of tamarind’s old fruits with honey thrice a day is useful to cure hoarseness.
33. Stomatitis (mouth blisters): Gargling with tamarind water cures Stomatitis caused by bile disorder.
34. Eye swelling: Tying packet of tamarind leaves on the eyes cures eyes swelling.
35. Throat swelling: Boil 6 grams tamarind with 2 kilograms water until remain half water then mix 10 ml rose water in it and filter it. Gargle with this water; it cures throat swelling.
36. Diarrhoea and Bascillary dysentery:
- Make a decoction by boiling 10-15 grams leaves of tamarind plant. Drinking this decoction prevents Bascillary dysentery.
- Heat 5 to 10 ml juice of tamarind leaves lightly. After that, taking it is useful to prevent Bascillary dysentery.
- Grind 15 grams peels of tamarind seeds, 6 grams cumin seeds and sugar of palmyra palm (tad) together. Take this mixture after every 3 or 4 hours; it prevent chronic Bascillary dysentery.
- Take 3 to 6 grams powder of tamarind seeds with water twice a day; it prevents diarrhoea and bascillary dysentery.
- Grind bark of old tamarind tree’s root and black pepper in half quantity with whey and make tablets equal the pea from the above mixture. Taking 1-2 tablets thrice a day prevents Bascillary dysentery.
- Make the fine powder by grinding tamarind seeds and store it. Mix this powder in whey and drink, it provides relief.
- Make the powder by grinding tamarind bark and store it. Taking 3 grams this powder with curd is useful in Bascillary dysentery.
37. Sprue: Fry juice of tamarind leaves with the help of an iron cauldron. Take its 10 to 20 grams quantity 3-4 times a day for some days; it provides relief.
38. Diabetes mellitus: Soak 10 grams tamarind seeds in the water in the morning. Peel these seeds at night and take its internal white kernel afterwards drink cow milk, it provides relief.
39. Sperm deficiency:
- Soak tamarind seeds in the water for some days then peel these seeds and dry. Make a powder by grinding these seeds. Taking 1 spoon of this powder with milk thrice a day is useful to enhance sperm count and makes sperm thick.
- Peel toasted seeds of tamarind and prepare powder from these. Take this powder with equal quantity sugar-candy regularly for about 15 days; it ends sperm deficiency and cures strangury and burning sensation of urine.
- Soak 10 grams tamarind in water for 4 days. Mix 20 grams jaggery in the above mixture and make small tablets equal gram from it. Take 1-2 tablets before sleeping at night; it makes sperm thick and enhances sperm count.
40. Sprain: Grind leaves of tamarind tree and heat it on the flame. Apply this preparation on the affected part; it provides quick relief in sprain.
41. Burnt wound:
- Mix tamarind powder with ghee and apply it on the burnt wound, it provides relief.
- Mix 2 to 5 grams dry powder of tamarind’s bark with sweet oil. Apply this mixture on the burnt part; it provides relief.
42. Body burning sensation due to heat:
- Eating cooked vegetable of soft leaves and flowers of tamarind tree ends burning sensation of the body due to heat.
- Drinking syrup of tamarind and sugar-candy ends burning sensation of the heart.
- Boil 10 grams tamarind and 25 grams date-palm with 1 kilogram milk and filter it. Drink this milk; it ends nervousness and burning sensation caused by fever.
43. White flecks: Grind equal quantity of fabaceae and kernels of tamarind seeds together. Apply this preparation on the flecks with the help of a wood; it provides relief.
44. Bilious fever:
- Soak 25 grams tamarind in 1 glass of water at night. In the next morning, filter this water and mix ground sugar (bura) in it. Taking this mixture with spogel seeds is useful to cure fever caused by bile disorder.
- Boil 25 grams old tamarind and 20 grams date-palm with one litre water and filter it and drink; it ends inflammation and nervousness.
45. Cold-drink: Soak tamarind and sugar according to taste, in 1 glass of fresh water for one hour. Crush tamarind and filter this water. This is the best cold-drink.
46. Fluorisis (bones disease): This is a bone disease, when a person drinks fluoride-acid mixed water then he suffers from fluorisis. In this disease, the patient suffers from tooth dirtiness, yellowness and decaying. In this disease, bones weight increases and patient suffers from joints stiffness and spasm of the back bone. Drinking tamarind water does not appear fluorisis. Mix salt into tamarind water and drink, it increases 40 folds ability to end fluoride acid.
47. Chicken pox: Take turmeric powder and tamarind seeds with cold water; chicken pox does not appear by taking it.
48. Wine intoxication: Soak 1 kilogram pulp of old tamarind in double quantity water at night. In the next morning, boil above mixture 2-3 times and mix 2 kilograms sugar in it. Take 10 to 40 grams this mixture after every 3 hours; it prevents vomiting, bile disorders, burning sensation, cholera, indigestion, dyspepsia and constipation. It also ends intoxication due to drink wine and protects from the sun-stroke.
49. Impotence: Peel toasted seeds of tamarind and prepare powder from these. Taking 3 grams this powder with sugar-candy regularly enhances sperm count and ends impotence.
50. Amblyopia: Mix fine powder of small cardamom with goat urine. Apply this mixture on the eyes like collyrium; it provides relief.
51. Fever: Taking panna of tamarind is useful to get relief in fever.
- Soak tamarind in the water at night. In the next morning, crush tamarind and mix some rock salt in it after filtering. Drinking some quantity of this preparation many times a day prevents vomiting.
- Crush ripe tamarind in water and filter it. Drinking this water prevents vomiting caused by heat.
- Drinking syrup of tamarind prevents vomiting and cures fever caused by heat.
- Soak ripe tamarind in the water and extract juice from it. Drinking this juice prevents vomiting.
- Taking 1 to 3 grams tamarind pulp with some cassia angustifolia (sanay) or terminalia chebula is useful to eliminate constipation.
- Drink tamarind syrup before sleeping at night; it eliminates constipation. Drinking this syrup in the morning is useful to eliminate bile disorder.
- Drinking tamarind syrup regularly eliminates 15-20 years old constipation.
- Soak tamarind pulp in water then grind with water and filter it. Take this preparation with a little quantity of jaggery and dry ginger after the meals; it provides relief.
54. Catarrh: Boil tamarind leaves with water and filter it. Drinking 1 cup of this water twice a day provides relief in cold and catarrh.
55. Amoebic diarrhoea:
- Make fine powder by grinding peels of tamarind’s ripe seeds, cumin seeds, and sugar-candy 6 grams each together. Take this powder after every 3 hours thrice a day; it prevents chronic amoebic diarrhoea.
- Soak iron in juice of tamarind leaves and drink, it provides relief.
- Make the powder by grinding root of tamarind’s small plant with equal quantity of black peeper. Mix curd in this powder and make small tablets from this mixture. Taking 1 tablet thrice a day provides relief.
- Grind tamarind leaves with water and extract 2 spoons juice from this mixture. Take this juice twice a day for about 20 days; it prevents bleeding from piles.
- Taking 5 ml juice of tamarind’s fresh flowers twice a day is useful to get relief.
- Take 1-2 grams ash of tamarind seeds with curd; it cures bloody piles.
- Peel 50 grams seeds of tamarind and toast these. Make the powder by grinding these seeds. Take 6 grams this powder with curd daily; it provides relief.
57. Liver problems: Soak 20 grams tamarind seeds in 250 ml water at night. In the next morning, crush these seeds and mix sugar in it after filtering. Taking this preparation regularly for about 3-4 days is useful to get relief.
58. Wound: Mix powder of tamarind bark with ghee and apply it on the burnt wound, it provides relief.
- Soak 125 grams tamarind seeds in the water for 3 days then peel these and dry in shadow. Make the powder by grinding these seeds and filter it. Mix 100 grams sugar in this powder. Taking 1 spoon of this powder with raw milk or water twice a day is useful to get benefit.
- Soak tamarind in the water overnight then dry its peels and grind these to prepare the powder. Take 5 grams this powder with milk twice a day; it provides relief.
- Take powder of tamarind seeds with sugar-candy regularly; it cures spermatorrhoea and leucorrhoea.
60. Indigestion: Take sugar-candy with tamarind’s panchang (root, leaves, stem, fruit and flower); it provides relief in indigestion.
61. Over thirst:
- Gargling with tamarind water removes throat dryness and quenches thirst.
- Suck peeled seed of tamarind; it quenches over thirst.
- Applying paste of tamarind and water on the hands and feet is useful to end burning sensation. Apply it on the head; it cures unconsciousness.
- Boil tamarind with water to prepare syrup and filter it. Drink 100 ml this syrup; it protects from the sun-strokes. Immerse a cloth into the boiled water of tamarind and spray it on the patient’s body; it provides relief.
- Grind pulp of tamarind fruits with cold water. Applying this preparation on the baldhead cures unconsciousness and effect of the sun-stroke.
- Crush ripe tamarind in water and immerse a cloth in it water. Wiping the body with this cloth for some time removes effect of the sun-stroke.
63. Dropsy: Apply ground seeds of tamarind on the stomach; it provides relief in dropsy.
64. Gall stone: Take 240 to 960 ml juice of tamarind with fresh water (mixed with impure carbonate of potash) twice a day; it breaks stone. It also ends indigestion and urinary problems.
65. Sperm problems:
- Soak 300 grams tamarind seeds in 500 ml water for 3 days then peel these and dry in shadow. Make the fine powder by grinding these seeds. Taking 10 grams this powder with lukewarm milk twice a day is beneficial.
- Make small pieces from tamarind seeds and soak these in the water at night. Taking this preparation is useful to enhance sperm count.
66. Unconsciousness: Grind tamarind pulp with cold water and apply it on the baldhead, it ends unconsciousness and removes the effect of the sun-stroke.
67. Vagina contraction: Grind stone of tamarind seeds and apply or rub it on the vagina twice a day, it makes vagina tight after contracting.
68. Giddiness: Soak about 25 grams tamarind (without seed) in 125 ml water for 1 hour. Crush it and mix sugar in it after filtering. Drink this preparation twice a day; it end giddiness.
69. Pain, swelling and wound of boil: Tying ground leaves of tamarind on the wounds of boil provides relief from pain and swelling.
70. Hands and feet spasm: Crush tamarind with lemon juice and lick, it ends swelling caused by cholera.
71. Heart problems: Taking 2 spoons solution of ripe tamarind with a little quantity of sugar-candy eliminates heart problems.
- Mix tamarind powder with ghee and apply it on the burnt wound, it provides relief.
- Soak tamarind seeds in the water and peel these. Grind internal kernels of seeds and make roll (Batti) with cotton piece and above powder. Putting this roll on sinus cures it.
73. Erysipelas: Mix tamarind with water and filter it. Drink this water regularly; it provides relief.
74. Insanity: Grind 20 grams tamarind with water and filter it. Giving this water to the patient cures insanity.
75. Nerves inflammation: Grind marking nut, tamarind leaves, garlic and babreng together. Mix above preparation with solution of coconut water and powder of sugar-candy. Taking this mixture once a day ends inflammation and swelling.
76. Throat pain: Gargling with tamarind water provides relief from throat pain.
77. Body strength: Soak tamarind seeds in the water for 3 days. After that, peel these seeds and mix equal quantity jaggery in it. Make tablets of 6 grams from this mixture. Take 1 tablet twice a day; it makes the body powerful and cures all the diseases.
78. Hoarseness: Take 1 gram powder of old tamarind’s fruit with 4 to 6 grams honey twice a day; it provides relief in hoarseness.