SWORD FRUIT (SONAPATHA*)
INDIAN TRUMPET TREE
The trees of sword fruit are found all over India except west dry states. The bark of sword fruit’s root is used in vrahat panchmool. It is available on the shops. Its trees are 15-25 feet high. If situation is favorable and good, its tree can be 50 feet high like parsian lilac (Bakayan). Alienates excelsa ghodanimb is used instead of ailanthus excelsa (Arlu) or shyona in a few states but ghodanimb trees belong to other kinds. Of which we are talking about here is called “Orojilem indicum” in Latin.
Name in different languages:
Hindi - Sonapatha
Sanskrit - Tunnuk, Shyonak, Shuknas
Gujrati - Arduso
Marathi - Tentu
Bengali - Sonalu, Shoana
Dehradun - Tarloo
Telugu - Peeddamanu
Punjabi - Mulin
Scientific name - Oraxylum indicum, vent
Structure: The length of sword fruit’s tree is medium. Its leaves are 3-5 inches long, 2 to 3.5 inches broad, smooth and in a top shape. Its flower’s branches are very long. Its flowers are big, purple and have foul smell. The pods of sword fruit are curved like sword, smooth, hard, 2.5 inches to 1 foot long and 2 to 3.5 inches broad. Its leaves fall down in spring season. Its leaves have pods like sword. Its flowers blossom in the summer season and rainy season but fruits grow in winters.
Chemical structure: The bark of stem and root of sword fruit tree have oroxilin-A, bekelin and crysin 3 fralevon liquids acids. Besides these, there are found also alkali, tannic acid, sitasterol and glactouse. The leaves, seeds and the bark of sword fruit tree are used in medicines. Its seeds contain 20 percent yellow oil.
Sword fruit is hot in nature and eliminates vatta and kapha. Apply its bark on the affected part reduces swelling, boil and pimples. It also gets rid of pain. Its juice is pungent and hot, so it increases appetite and digestion power. Its use increase burning sensation and reduces swelling and fever. It destroys worms and brings the phlegm out. It is bitter and nutritive. It increases urine. Specially, it is used to cure the diseases caused by vatta, kapha and indigestion. Sword fruit is very beneficial in normal weakness and weakness caused by stomach problems. It increases burning sensation and body power. It also cures stomach diseases.
Useful in different diseases:
1. Hemorrhoids: Make the fine powder by grinding equal quantity of sword fruit’s bark, lead wort root, dry ginger, and rock salt, bark of bondue nut and oval leaves rose way together. Take 1.5 to 3 grams this powder mixing with whey thrice a day. This medicine provides relief in hemorrhoids.
2. Parturient weakness: The woman who suffers from intensive pain for 4-6 days during menstrual excretion, mix about ½ gram powder of sword fruit’s bark with equal quantity of dry ginger powder and jiggery (gur). Make 3 tablets of this mixture. Take these tablets with the decoction of dashmool thrice a day for 10-15 days. Its use gets rid of all problems magically. It also ends the weakness and other diseases of the women.
3. Indigestion: Soak 20-30 grams bark of sword fruit in 200 milliliters cold or warm water for 4 hours then filter. Drink this mixture twice a day to get rid of indigestion.
4. Earache: Grind the bark of sword fruit tree with water and mix sesame oil in it. Mix double quantity of water in this oil and boil it on low flame until it remains only oil then filter it and fill in a bottle. Pouring 2-3 drops of this oil into the ear gets rid of earache caused by vatta, pitta and kapha.
5. Syphilis: Soak 40 to 50 grams fine powder of dry bark of sword fruit’s tree in water for 4 hours. Grind this soaked bark and mix sugar-candy in it. Take this mixture twice a day regularly for 7 days after filter. Its use gets quick relief. The patient should take wheat bread, ghee and sugar. Do not take bath for 7 days and bathe with the decoction of neem leaves on eighth day.
6. Mouth blisters: Gargle with the decoction of sword fruit root’s bark. Mouth blisters disappear by its use.
7. Asthma and cough:
- Lick 1 gram powder of sword fruit’s bark mixing in ginger juice and honey. Its use provides relief.
- Taking 2 grams powder of sword fruit’s gums with a little milk gets rid of cough and asthma.
- Take 2 spoons juice of sword fruit bark and kurchi bark (Kutaj) to get relief in diarrhoea. The patient of diarrhoea gets rid of this disease.
- Grind the bark of sword fruit root with the leaves of oval leaves rose way and extract juice. Mix the juice of silk cotton in above juice. Licking one spoon this mixture provides relief in diarrhoea and bascillary dysentery.
- Grind the bark and leaves of sword fruit’s tree together. Make tablets of this mixture and cover these tablets in the leaves of banyan tree and put into a soil pot. Heat it on low heat, when soil turns into red then bring it out and extract juice of this preparation. Taking 20 ml this juice twice a day provides relief in chronic blood diarrhoea.
- Take 2 to 5 grams powder of sword fruit’s gum with a little milk. Its use provides relief in bascillary dysentery.
- Take 50 milliliters decoction sword fruit tree’s root and dry ginger thrice a day. Its use provides relief in joints’ pain and vatta disorders.
- Take approx ¼ gram powder of sword fruit’s bark thrice a day and tie heat leaves of sword fruit on the joints. Its use gets rid of joints’ pain.
- Make a small cup from the wood of sword fruit’s and fill water in this cup at night. Drink this water in the morning. Its use abates malarial fever and all types of fever.
- Grind equal quantity of sword fruit, dry ginger, beel fruit’s pulp, pomegranate seeds and Indian atees together. Boil 10 grams this mixture in half kilogram water until it remains 125 milliliters. Drink this water thrice a day after filtering. Its use abates all types of fever and gets rid of diarrhoea.
11. Treatment of jaundice by using sword fruit: Peel 150-200 grams sword fruit and grind them. Soak this mixture in one glass water at night. Make powder by grinding 2 camphor pieces and take on empty stomach. Take above filtered water (sword’s barks water) after 15 minutes. Breakfast or meal should be not taken until 2 hours pass. It should be taken regularly for three days or according to the patient’s state.
12. Methods according to age: First, mix camphor powder in water and give it to the patient. After 15 minutes of this process, take the water of sword fruit. Breakfast or meal should be taken after 2 hours of having this medicine.
13. Loose motions: Mix powder of sword fruit tree’s bark, gmelina arborea (Gambhari), padamkesr and lotus’ leaves together. Boil this mixture and extract juice. Take this juice mixing with honey twice a day. Its use stops loose motions.
14. Otorrhoea: Boil the bark of sword fruit tree to prepare oil. Clean ears and drop this oil into the ears drop by drop. Its use gets rid of this disease named otorrhoea.
15. Ears’ inflammation: Grind the seeds of sword fruit and erimead seeds together. Apply this mixture on the ears. Its application reduces the inflammation and swelling of the ear.
16. Burn: Make the powder by grinding equal quantity of flowers of callicarpa macrophylla (Priyangu), cus-cus, symplocos crataegoides buch (pathani lodh), pauonia odorata (Sugandhbala), cassia angustifolia (Sanay) and sword fruits together. Mix juice of Indian berberry into this mixture. Rubbing this mixture on the body gets rid of burning sensation.