The fruit shape of sespadula is like olibanum. The green vegetable of sespadulas is the most digestive than other fruits. Sespadulas is mostly grown in Assam, West Bengal, Bihar and Uttar Pradesh.
Name in different languages
English : Sespadulas
Hindi : Parvalc
Sanskrit : Patol, Koolak
Bengali : Palatlata
Marathi : Parval
Gujarat : Parval
Color: It is sky blue and green.
Taste: It is bitter and pungent.
Varieties: There are two types of it as- Sweets sespadulas and bitter sespadulas.
Nature: It is hot in nature and oily.
Sespadulas is easy digestive food. It is useful for heart, and increases sexual vigour and digestive power. It removes cough, fever, and destroys stomach worms. It also removes the problems of Tridosha (Vatta, Pitta and Cuffa) and blood disorder. Its root is purgative for stomach and cures many diseases as- fever, typhoid, jaundice, swelling and stomach diseases. Taking the cooked vegetables of sespadulas increases digestive power. The fried sespadula in ghee is nutrient. Taking a decoction of sky blue sespadulas removes poison effects. Applying its paste on the head provides benefit.
Useful in different diseases:
1. Heart diseases: Sespadulas is hot in nature, oily, and digestive. It is helpful for heart, and increases sexual vigor and appetite. It cures cough and fever, and destroys stomach warms. It removes the problems of the Tridosha (Vatta, Pitta and Kapha) and blood disorder.
2. Bloody bile: Take the powder of sespadulas seeds with cardamom and clove; it ends itching, wind, phlegm, blood disorder, fever and burning sensation.
3. Purgative: The root of sespadulas causes loose motions easily. Its stem removes phlegm. Its leaf ends bile disorder, and its fruit removes the problem of Tridosha (Vatta, Pitta, and Kapha).
4. Fever that is caused by phlegm: Prepare a decoction by boiling 6 grams sweet sespadulas with branch and 6 grams dry ginger in water. Taking this decoction after mixing honey in it twice a day (in the morning and evening) cures fever caused by phlegm and eliminates indigestion.
5. Fever caused by bile disorder:
- Prepare a decoction by boiling sespadulas, nut-grass (nagarmotha), pauonia odorata (sungandhbala), red sandal, helle-bore (kutaki), dry ginger, pit-paapar, cus-cus (khas) and malabar-nut (adusa) in water together. After that, take this decoction, it cures fever caused by bile disorder and quenches thirst.
- Boil sespadula, buck-wheat, netarabala, red sandal wood, helle bore, dry ginger, common fumitory, cus-cus and malabar nut in water to make a decoction. After that, take this decoction, it cures fever caused by bile disorder and quenches thirst.
- Boil bitter sespadula leaves and coriander in water to make a decoction and take, it cures fever caused by bile disorder. Massaging the patient body after applying the juice of sespadula leaves on his body provides relief.
6. Vomiting: Mix bitter sespadula, bitter neem and malabar nut leaves in cold water and giving it to the patient removes bile disorder.
7. Enlargement of spleen: Taking a decoction of bitter sespadulas is useful to reduce enlargement of spleen and cure jaundice and the stomach diseases.
8. Removing poison effects: Grind bitter sespadulas and take it. It causes vomiting and brings out poison form the stomach.
9. Baldness: Apply the juice of bitter sespadulas leaves on the head or the affected parts, it provides benefit.
10. Boils: Clean the boils with helping of a decoction of bitter sespadulas and bitter Neem. It cures them.
11. Skin diseases: Taking sespadulas or massaging the skin with helping of its leaves juice cures all the kinds of skin diseases.
12. Burnt: Mix the decoction of bitter sespadula in mustard oil and after that boil this mixture in four parts of water. When burn water, filter it. Applying the preparation on the affected parts is useful to cure burnt parts.
13. Itching: Take the vegetables of sespadulas, it ends itching, leprosy, blood poisoning, eyesight problems, and destroys stomach worms. Sespadulas is also helpful for curing typhoid.
14. Satata fever: Prepare a decoction by boiling sespadulas leaves, indra-barley, myrabolam-chebulie (harad), neem, Indian peeny root (nishoth), and pauonia odorata (sungandhbala) together. Taking this decoction is helpful for curing this fever.
15. Fever caused by Vatta-Pitta: Boil sespadulas, nut-grass (nagarmotha), nemvaala, red sandal, helle-bore (kutaki), dry ginger, pitt papara, cus-cus (khas) and malabar-nut (adusa) in equal quantity each together and take this decoction twice a day (in the morning and evening). It provides relief.
- Boil bitter sespadula, sweet flag and Chiretta in water to make a decoction and take, it is useful to cure fever. If fever occurs with constipation, to cure this disease, you should take sespadula.
- Take 20 to 40 ml decoction of sespadulas leaves and coriander twice a day (in the morning and evening), it provides relief from bile fever.
- Applying the juice of sespadulas leaves on the liver or all body parts is beneficial to cure fever.
17. Mouth diseases: Boil leaves of sespadulas, Neem, black-berry (jamun), mango and clustered-hiptage (malti) in water to make a decoction. Gargling with this decoction removes mouth blister, pus and foul smell of mouth.
18. Indigestion: Prepare a decoction by boiling the soft stick of sespadulas and its dry peels with sugar in water and take this decoction. It provides relief.
19. Acidity: Boil leaves of sespadulas, Neem, malabar-nut (adusa), emetic nut (mainphal), rock salt with honey to make a decoction. After that, take this decoction, it causes vomiting consequently, eliminates acidity. As like this, taking turpeth root, honey and Indian gooseberry juice provides benefit.
- Two teaspoons juice of the green leaves of sespadulas should be taken to cure dropsy.
- Taking the vegetables of sespadulas is useful to cure swelling.
21. Obesity: Boil sespadulas and lead-wort (chita) in the water to make a decoction and mix the powder of aniseeds (sonph) and asafetida in it. Taking this decoction ends obesity.
22. Stomach worms:
- Stomach worms: Soak 10 grams bitter sespadulas leaves and 10 grams coriander in 100 to 200 milliliters water over night, and filter it in the morning. Mix honey with them, and divide among three doses. Give one dose to the patient thrice a day, it destroys stomach worms.
- Toast sespadulas and after that extract juice and take 2 teaspoon its juice with one teaspoon mint juice, it destroys stomach worms.
- Taking the vegetables of sespadulas is useful to destroy stomach worms.
23. Wounds: Prepare sauce by grinding the leaves of sespadulas and prepare a decoction by boiling the leaves of sespadulas in water. After that, cooks this sauce and four parts of mustard oil of the sauce and four parts this decoction of this mustard oil together to make a paste. Applying this paste on the affected parts provides benefit.
24. Breast milk disorder: Prepare a decoction by boiling sespadulas leaves, neem leaves, cissampelos-pareira (patha), himalayan cedar (devdaroo), Indian kino (vijaysar), helicteres isora (marodphali), tinospora (giloy) and dry ginger together. Give this decoction to the women; it purifies milk of the breast.
25. Syphilis: Prepare a decoction by boiling sespadulas leaves, the barks of neem, green tinospora (giloy) and triphala in water together. Taking this decoction removes syphilis.
26. Scabies: Scabies can be removed by taking the vegetables of sespadulas.
27. Skin diseases: Taking the vegetables of sespadulas is useful to eliminate itching and leprosy.
28. Heart diseases: Grind the leaves of sespadulas, cardamom, and piper root together to make the powder and take 3 grams of this powder with pure ghee twice a day (in the morning and evening), it cures heart disease.
29. Leprosy: Giving the fruits of sweet sespadulas to the patient is useful to cure leprosy.
30. Acne and pimples of the face: Taking 10 to 20 milliliters juice of sespadulas leaves with tinospora (giloy) twice a day (in the morning and evening) removes the acne and pimples of the face.
31. Headache: Apply sespadulas juice on the head, it provides relief from headache.