Mostly, Sandal grows in Tamilnadu, Malabar and Karnataka. Its tree is evergreen and 30-40 meters high. Its bark is dusty and black from upper side and red with long lines from inside. Its outer stem has no any smell infect its inner part is fragrant and oil. Its leaves are 3 to 6 centimeter long and in egg shape. Its flowers are small in bunches and their colour is yellowish and purple without smell. Its fruits are small, fleshy and round, which turn into purple color without smell after ripening. Generally, its flower and fruit appear on the tree in June to September and November to February. The age of sandal tree is about 50 years. There are 5-6 kinds of sandal tree. White sandal, red sandal and yellow sandal are known well. Best sandal is that which is bitter in taste, yellow after grinding and red after cutting. It is burliness and full of cavity.
Name in different languages:
English : Sandal wood
Hindi : Chandan, Safed Chandan
Sanskrit : Shreekhand, Chandan Bhadshree
Bengali : Chandan
Marathi : Chandan
Telugu : Chandan
Gujarati : Lugher
Parsian : Sandal safed
Arabic : Sannale arvayad
Latin : Sandal alvam
White sandal: White sandal is bitter, vapid and pungent in taste, cool and dry in nature and small. It generates excitement and useful for the heart. It cures daunting fever caused by bile warmth, burning sensation, pain, mouth diseases, senselessness and blood diseases and brings out phlegm too. It kills stomach worms. It quenches thirst and alleviates poisoning.
Yellow sandal: Yellow sandal is cool in nature, bitter in taste and increases glow. It cures white flecks, itching, loose motions, ringworm, blood disorders caused by bile, bile disorders, inflammation and fever. It kills stomach warms and brings out phlegm. It quenches thirst and alleviates poisoning.
Saffron sandal: Saffron sandal is bitter in taste and cool in nature. It ends bile disorders, asthma, dryness and removes fatigue.
Light yellow sandal: Light Yellow sandal is bitter in taste and cool in nature. It cures blisters, scabies, inflammation, leprosy, epilepsy, ringworm and normalizes the vatta, pitta and kapha. It quenches thirst and ends fatigue.
Dry sandal: Dry sandal is bitter in taste, fragrant in smell and cool in nature. It ends anuria-dysuria, bile disorders, blood disorders and inflammation. If sandal is cut into pieces, it provides less smell. Red sandal wood is heavy and increases appetite in meal. Red sandal is very useful to end headache and swelling than white sandal.
Useful in different diseases:
1. Body inflammation:
- Grind sandal with camphor and coat it on the body to end inflammation.
- Rub sandal oil or mustard oil on the hand and feet, it reduces inflammation.
- Mix sandal oil with lemon juice and coat it on the affected part, it provides relief in itching.
- Mix milk, oil of sandal or coconut and camphor together and thereafter apply it on the affected part, it ends itching.
3. Anuria-dysuria and bloody diarrhea: Grind sandal with rice water then take it with honey and sugar. It is useful to end anuria-dysuria and bloody diarrhoea.
4. Urine diseases: Mix about 8-10 drops sandal oil with semi-spherical cake of sugar (batasha) and take it with milk. Using this process ends anuria-dysuria and pus with urine.
5. Body pimples caused by syphilis: Mix sandal, ground coriander and cuscus with rosewater. Coating this mixture on the affected part is useful to get relief in pimples caused by syphilis. Only sandal is also useful.
- Grind white sandal with rice water and take it with sugar. Its use provides relief in syphilis.
- Grind 20 grams sandal and mix it with sugar candy to prepare syrup. Drinking this syrup is useful for the body in summer season.
- Grind sandal with breast milk and drip it in nostrils, it prevents hiccups.
- Inhaling the smell of powder of sandal and tinospora of neem tree prevents hiccups.
- Grind red sandal with breast milk and smell this preparation. It is useful to prevent hiccups.
8. Spermtorrhoea and leucorrhoea: Grind fine about 10 grams bamboo manna and 10 gram cardamom together and filter it with the help of cloth. Mix sandal oil in this mixture and prepare tablets equal of beetle nut from it. Mix 5 grams sugar in 40 grams cool water then take 1 tablet with this water. Following this process twice a day is useful to cure spermtorrhoea and leucorrhoea. Wheat chapatti, pulse of red gram, ghee and sugar can be taken in these diseases during treatment.
9. Sleeplessness in the fever and headache: Grind camphor, saffron and sandal together. Applying this mixture on the head is useful to end sleeplessness and headache caused by fever.
10. Body inflammation caused by swelling: Coat ground sandal on the affected part for some days regularly, it reduces body inflammation caused by swelling.
11. Spermatorrhoea: Mix 5-6 drops of sandal oil and a pinch of sugar in 10 ml cow milk. This preparation should be taken five times a day after every 3 hours. Using this process provides some relief on the first day of treatment or soak 10 grams cubeb and 10 grams fine powder of bamboo manna (this powder should be filtered with the help of cloth) in sandal oil. Half gram this mixture should be taken after every 2 hours. The use of this process cures all the types of spermatorrhoea within 2 days.
12. Fever caused by bile: Make a decoction by boiling about 10 grams sandal with 500 ml water and give it to the patient with sugar candy, it prevents vomiting caused by bile fever. Fever comes down slowly by its use.
13. Heart weakness: Taking 1 gram ground sandal with a pinch of sugar and one drop honey is useful to end heart weakness.
14. Anuria-dysuria and Hematuria: Grind about 120 milligrams sandal and mix milk and sugar candy in it. Giving this mixture to the patient is useful to cure anuria-dysuria and hematuria.
15. Sandal syrup for coolness: Soak about 1 kg fine powder (husk) of sandal with 800 ml fragrant water. After 24 hours, boil this water on light fire and filter it. Mix 800 grams sugar candy in this preparation and cook it again. Taking 10 grams this preparation twice a day is useful to remove the body warmth.
16. Boils and pimples:
- Grind sandal with water and apply it on the affected part. Its use cures the boils and pimples.
- Applying the paste of red sandal on the affected part is useful to cure the boils and pimples soon.
17. Anus itching: Mix sandal oil with lemon juice and apply it on the anus. Using this process is useful to end anus itching.
- Taking 1 spoon sandal powder with 1 spoon Indian gooseberry juice and honey is beneficial to prevent vomiting.
- Vomiting is prevented by licking 10 grams sandal powder with honey.
19. Acnes: Grind red sandal with milk and apply it on the skin thrice a day. Its use cures acnes.
20. Ears pain:
- Dripping 2-3 drops of light hot oil of sandal in the ear is useful to get relief.
- Dripping sandal oil in the ears is useful to end ear pain.
21. Gonorrhoea: Drip one drop of sandal oil on semi-spherical cake of sugar (batasha) or sugar and give it to the patient thrice a day. If the patient feels excessive inflammation while urination, give this mixture for 15 days regularly. It is useful to cure gonorrhoea.
22. Cough with Phlegm: Drip one drop sandal oil on semi-spherical cake of sugar (batasha) and give it to the patient, it ends cough with phlegm.
23. Face cosmetics:
- Mix ground sandal, two spoons milk, some drops of orange juice and grams-flour in hand. Cleanse the face by taking steam and thereafter coat this mixture on the face. About after 20 minutes, wash the face with lukewarm water. A new luster and glow appear on the face by using this process.
- Grind sandal and almonds with water and apply it on the face. Using this process remove the black spots of the face.
24. Lumbago: If a pregnant woman feels excessive pressure on the below portion of the waist, she should lay down by the one side to ends waist pain. Mix 2-4 drops of lavender and 2 drops of sandal oil with ground-nut oil properly. Massaging with this oil ends lumbago. Mix 5 drops of lavender oil in bathing water and wash to the waist. Lumbago is ended soon by its use.
25. The burnt skin by sunlight (sunburn): If the skin of hands, legs and face becomes black has burnt by fast sunlight and skin begin to scorch, it is called sunburn. Face should be washed with cold water before going to outside. Cold water should be drunk too. An ice piece should be applied on the face once a day. Make a paste by mixing sandal powder, gram-flour and rosewater, and lemon juice together. Applying this paste on the face is useful. Face should be washed with rosewater with the help of a cotton piece once a day. The skin of the face becomes excessive black due to sunburn. In this condition, fresh milk should be applied on the face. When the milk becomes dry, face should be washed.
- If someone suffers from sun-strokes, mix sandal, cuscus and rosewater in water. Sprinkle this water on the face in the condition of senselessness due to sun-strokes. Using this process provides relief in senselessness.
- Taking one drop of sandal oil with milk is useful to end all trouble due to sun-strokes.
27. Prickly heat:
- Grind sandal with water and coat it on the body. Its use cures prickly heat, which occur in the summer season.
- Grind white sandal with water and apply it on the body. It is useful to cure prickly heat.
- Mix ground sandal and camphor with rosewater and thereafter apply it on the body to cure prickly heat.
28. Intestines enlargement: Grind red sandal, liquorice, cuscus, lotus, blue lotus with milk. Coating this mixture reduces the inflammation, pain and swelling of the intestines enlargement.
29. Fever: Drip sandal oil on the semi-spherical cake of sugar (batasha) and eat it and after that drink normal water. Using this process reduces the inflammation along with thirst and fever comes down after perspiration.
30. Cough: Drip 2-4 drops of sandal oil on the semi-spherical cake of sugar (batasha) and take it 3-4 times a day regularly. Its use cures cough.
31. Teeth worms: Soak cotton piece in sandal oil and put it tightly between the painful teeth. Its use provides relief in pain and destroys germs.
32. Dengue: Drip 5-10 drops sandal oil on the semi-spherical cake of sugar (batasha) and give it to the patient with water. Using this process twice a day provides relief in dengue. Dengue fever comes down by its use.
33. Bloody vomiting: Grind white sandal and prepare tablets from it. Taking 1-1 tablet twice or thrice a day is useful to prevent bloody vomiting.
34. Prevent abortion: Coat gopi sandal paste on the stomach consequently, abortion problem does not occur.
35. Urine diseases:
- Drip 5-15 drops of sandal oil on the semi-spherical cake of sugar (batasha) and take it thrice a day regularly. Its use cures urine diseases.
- Taking 4-5 drops of sandal oil after mixing with milk is useful to cure urine diseases.
- Grind sandal with rice water (wash the rice with water) and take it after mixing with sugar candy twice a day. Its use cures hematuria.
- Soak about 6 grams sandal powder in water at overnight. In the next morning, filter this water and drink this water. It is useful to cure hematuria.
37. Piles: Make a decoction by boiling sandal, chireta, Arabian manna plant and dry ginger with water. Bloody piles are cured by taking this decoction.
38. Disorders after menopause: Taking 10 ml sandal decoction twice a day is useful to end the disorders after menopause, bloody leucorrhoea and body inflammation.
39. Bloody diarrhoea:
- Mix the powder of rauwolfia serpentine’ fruit and the powder of kurchi bark together. Taking 1-2 grams this mixture with curd is useful to prevent bloody diarrhea.
- Mix equal quantity of powder of rauwolfia serpentine’ fruit and powder of kurchi bark together properly. Taking 1-2 grams this mixture with curd is useful to prevent bloody diarrhea.
40. Hurt: Coating sandal oil on the affected part is useful to end the swelling of hurt and sprain.
41. Wound: Mix Sandal oil with 2 folds mustard oil and apply it on the wounds of nose, which occurs because of pimples. Its use provides a lot of relief.
42. White leucorrhoea: Give 40 ml sandal decoction to the suffered woman twice a day; it ends offensive white leucorrhoea and bloody leucorrhoea.
43. Blood leucorrhoea:
- Taking about 40 ml sandal decoction twice a day regularly is very useful to cure any type of bloody leucorrhoea and more offensive white leucorrhoea.
- Boil 5 grams sandal powder with milk and mix 10 grams ghee and 25 grams sugar in this mixture. Taking this preparation is useful to cure bloody leucorrhoea.
- Dissolve spoonful powder of white sandal (which is ground on slab) and 2 spoons juice of green coach grass with water. Taking this preparation after mixing with sugar candy twice a day is useful to cure bloody leucorrhoea. If you have only white sandal powder, so you can take only one spoon. There is no need to grind it. It is also useful.
44. Urticaria: Applying sandal oil on the body is useful to remove urticaria.
45. Blood disorders caused by bile:
- Boil sandal, coriander, aniseed, common fumitory and gurij 10 grams each with 1.5 liters until remains about 125 ml water then mix about 50 grams sugar candy in it after putting down. Giving this decoction to the patient minimum twice or thrice a day regularly is useful to end blood disorders caused by bile.
- Mix 3-6 grams sandal and pavonia odorata with sugar candy and thereafter give it to the patient with rice water (wash the rice with water). Using this process provides relief in blood disorders caused by bile.
- Soak 125 grams powder of white sandal with half litter rosewater for 12 hours. Boil this mixture on light fire until little water remains then filter it. Prepare half liter syrup from this mixture by mixing sugar candy in it. Taking 20-40 grams this preparation twice a day is beneficial to end blood disorders caused by bile.
46. Sleeplessness (Insomnia): Give about 1-2 grams powder of rauwolfia serpentina to the patient before going to bed, he gets soundly sleep. It is also useful in high blood pressure.
47. Herpes: Grind sandal with rosewater and coat it on the affected part. Using this process provides relief in herpes.
48.Nose pimples: Mix sandal oil with 2 folds mustard oil and apply it on the affected part. Its use cures the nose pimples.
49. Puerperal fever (sciatica): Make a decoction by boiling equal quantity of sandal wood, Indian persimon fruit, mustak mul, chhir cacoli mool and vacha cand with 14-28 milliliter water. Give this decoction to the patient twice a day; it cures puerperal fever (sutica).
50. Sinusitis: Mix sandal oil with 2 folds mustard oil and apply it inner and outer portion of the nose. Using this process reduces nose swelling.
- Boil 20 grams cubeb with 200 ml water until remains little then filter it. Mix 10 drops sandal oil in this preparation after filtering and make light hot. Syphilis is cured by taking this preparation.
- Mix sandal oil, cuddapa almond oil and pavonia ldorata oil each 10 grams together. Drip ten drops this mixture on the semi-spherical cake of sugar (batasha) or ground sugar and give it to the patient with 250 ml raw milk. Using this process provides relief in syphilis.
52. Mentally illusion: Give 1-2 grams powder of rauwolfia serpentina to the patient at bed time regularly; it cures mentally illusion caused by disturbances in the nerves.
53. Inflammation and itching of the vagina: Mix sandal oil with lemon juice and apply it on the vagina. Its use ends itching and inflammation of vagina.
54. Cholera: Taking 1-2 grams powder of rauwolfia serpentina fruit (small sandal) with Indian birthwort is useful to cure cholera.
55. High blood pressure:
- Taking 1-2 grams powder of rauwolfia serpentina (small sandal) as a dose before going to bed regularly is useful to make normal to high blood presser slowly-slowly.
- Grind rauwolfia serpentina (small sandal) and store it. Taking 2 grams this powder twice a day regularly is beneficial to make normal to the high blood pressure.
- Grind Indian gooseberry, rauwolfia serpentina and tinospora each 10 grams together. Taking 1-1 grams this mixture with water is useful in the condition of high blood pressure because it makes normal to blood pressure.
- Make the powder by grinding equal quantity of rauwolfia serpentina, tinospora and Indian gooseberry together. Taking 1 gram this mixture twice a day regularly is useful to make high blood pressure normal. Don’t take hot food substances.
- Make the powder by grinding equal quantity of rauwolfia serpentina, Indian gooseberry, tinospora, bark of terminalia Arjuna tree, spreading hogweed and winter cherry together. Taking this mixture with honey twice a day makes normal to the high blood pressure.
56. Heart weakness: Mix 2 spoons sandal syrup with one cup rose’ juice and give it to the patient twice a day, it ends heart weakness.
57. Blisters on the skin: Mix lemon juice and camphor with sandal oil and thereafter coat it on the affected part. Using this preparation is useful to cure the blisters on the skin.
58. Anger: Taking about 1-2 grams powder of rauwolfia serpentina before going to bed is useful to end anger or irritation caused by high blood pressure.
- Mix about 120 milligrams silver ash with honey and give it to the patient. Using this process is useful to cure insanity.
- Soak about 3 grams powder of white sandal in 50 ml rosewater at overnight. In the next morning, boil this mixture and mix sugar candy in it after filtering to prepare treacle. Giving this treacle to the insanity patient is useful to cure insanity.
60. Measles: If there is inflammation in the small poxes of measles, grind sandal with water and apply it on the body. Using this process is useful to end measles and inflammations.
61. Flecks and pimples on the face: Apply sandal oil on the face; it cures all the types of flecks and spots of the acnes and pimples.
- Grind red sandal, liqourica, cuscus, country mellow, blue lotus and land snail with cow milk. Coating this mixture on the forehead like paste ends headache caused by bile.
- Make fine powder by grinding whit sandal, cardamom seed, camphor (deshi) each 10 grams, 5 grams bark of neem tree and 50 grams sal-ammoniac together. Headache is cured by smelling this preparation. Or mix water in this powder then apply it on the forehead to get relief in headache. It is also useful to reduce the poison effects of wasps and sprain in any body organ.
- Grind red sandal with water and apply it on the forehead to end headache.
- Apply the perfume of pure sandal on the forehead is useful to end headache.
- Mix sandal oil, camphor and cinnamon oil about 10 grams each with 250 ml sesame oil. Applying or rubbing this mixture on the forehead ends headache. Dripping 2-3 drops this oil in the ears is also useful to get relief in headache.
- Giving about 1-2 grams powder of rauwolfia serpentina to the patient before going to bed is useful to end headache caused by chronic neural problems.
- Mix ground red sandal with camphor and coat it on the forehead or head, it ends headache.
63. Skin diseases: Make a paste by grinding sandal, cuscus and mild Himalaya cherry together. Coat this mixture on the body of children, it ends itching, white blots and all type of skin problems.
64. To reduce the excitement of penis: Drip 3-4 drops of sandal oil in semi-spherical cake of sugar (batasha) and after that give it to the patient with water twice a day regularly. Its use reduces the excitement of penis.
65. Beautiful skin: Mix sandal powder with rose water and apply on the face. Its use cures the marks of acnes and pimples.
66. Erysipelas (Group of small pimples): Mix sandal, cuscus root, madder root, mild Himalaya cherry, pluksha, liquorices and blue lotus with milk. Coating this mixture on the affected part is useful to cure erysipelas caused by bile.
67. The medicine of children diseases:
- Applying fine powder (husk) of sandal on the navel is useful to get relief in matured navel.
- Grind fine saariva, red lotus, blue lotus, nutgrass, cuscus, white sandal, lotus, madder root, liqourica and mustard seeds together and thereafter coat it on the affected part; it provides relief in erysipelas (group of small pimples).
- Grind sandal, cuscus and mild Himalaya cherry together and thereafter coat it on the affected part to end itching and all the types of skin problems.
- Grind sandal, both sarivas and conch naval with water. Coat this mixture on the affected part as well as grind this dried medicine and give it to the patient with honey for licking. Using this process provides relief in wound.