Ribbed luffa is a type of vegetable, which is cultivated in all over India. According to nutritive elements it can be compared with nenuai. Its vegetable is excessively used with food in the rainy season.
Taste: It is sweet and bitter.
Nature: It is cool and wet in nature.
Precaution: Ribbed luffa generates kapha and vatta. Taking excessive quantity of it may be harmful. It is heavy in digestion. The patient should not take cooked vegetable of ribbed luffa in the rainy season.
Useful in different diseases:
1. Stone: Grind creeper of ribbed luffa with cow milk or cold water and take it in the morning for three days regularly, it breaks stone after breaking.
2. Tumour of ulcer: Grind root of ribbed luffa with cold water and apply it on the affected part, it cures tumour of ulcer within one day.
3. Flecks: Grind creeper of ribbed luffa with cow butter and apply it on flecks 2-3 times in a day, it checks flecks.
4. Piles: Taking cooked vegetables of ribbed luffa breaks constipation consequently, piles is cured.
5. Anuria-dysuria: Ribbed luffa is useful to cure anuria-dysuria and urinary problems.
6. Granular trachoma: Drip 2-3 drops juice of fresh leaves of ribbed luffa in the eyes 3-4 times in a day regularly, it provides relief in granular trachoma.
7. Hair dye: Make the powder by grinding dried pieces of ribbed luffa (dry piece of ribbed luffa in the shadow). Mix coconut oil in this powder and store it for 4 days. Boil this mixture and fill it in the bottle after filtering. Apply this oil in the hair and rub it on the head, it makes the hair black.
- Taking cooked vegetable of ribbed luffa breaks constipation and provides relief in piles.
- Boil bitter ribbed luffa with water then cook brinjal in this water. Fry this brinjal with ghee and take it with jaggery, it provides relief from pain and cures piles.
9. Pimples: Make the powder by grinding bitter ribbed luffa, leadwort root and baliospermum montanum root together. Boil this powder with oil and apply it on the head, it cures pimples.
10. Vagina diseases: Mix sour water of curd with juice of ribbed luffa and take it, it provides relief in vagina disorders.
11. Rheumatism (Joint pain): Taking cooked vegetables of spinach, fenugreek, ribbed luffa and sespadula is useful to cure joints pain (rheumatism).
12. Jaundice: Drip 2-3 drops juice of bitter ribbed luffa in both the nostril, it brings out yellow water from the nose and cures jaundice within one day.
- Make a paste by grinding leaves of ribbed luffa and apply it on the affected part; it provides relief in leprosy.
- Leprosy is cured by applying ground seeds of ribbed luffa on the affected part.
14. Throat diseases: Fill bitter ribbed luffa in the hubble-bubble like tobacco and take its smoke in the throat, it reduces swelling of the throat.
15. For vomiting: By giving ground,seeds of ribbed luffa to the patient with water vomiting and loose motions start.