RED MANGO (KOKAM*)
KOKUM BUTTER TREE
The trees of red mango are big and its leaves are 3.5 inches long and of dark colour. Its fruits are red and round like orange (narangi). Its fruits are called “Raktamba or Kokam”. Pulp of red mango fruit is eaten and internal water is drunk. Upper dried bark of it is also called “Kokam”. It (red mango) is used in pulses and cooked vegetable to make them sour. It is sour like tamarind and is more used than tamarind. Sauce and syrup are also prepared from the fruits of red mango. Its seeds have white and thick oil like wax. This oil is used to eat as medicines too. Make red mango oil warm and apply it on the affected parts, it provides relief in cracked hands, feet and lips. Its oil is used to make ointment and wax-stick (mombatti). It is digestible and breaks constipation.
Red mango: Raw red mango is sour in taste and hot in nature. It eliminates gas trouble and increases kapha and pitta. Ripe red mango is heavy in digestive, spicy, pungent and sour in taste, hot in nature and light. It prevents loose motions and increases appetite. Taking over quantity of it increases vatta and kapha. It ends constipation, colic pain, piles, pain and heart problems. It quenches thirst and destroys worms too.
Red mango oil: It is very beneficial in tuberculosis, lung problems, scrofula and dysentery. It also cures wounds quickly.
Useful in different diseases:
1. Acidity: Make sauce by grinding red mango, cardamom and sugar together thereafter give it to the patient because it ends acidity (sour belching).
2. Inflammation caused by bile: Dissolve ground red mango with mixed water of sugar and give it to the patient, it cures inflammation due to bile. It also quenches thirst and cures insomnia.
3. Bloody diarrhoea:
- Make warm oil of red mango and give 2 to 20 ml to the patient twice or thrice a day, it prevents bloody diarrhoea.
- Bloody diarrhoea is prevented by taking 40 to 80 ml solution of red mango’s fruits twice a day.
4. Hands and feet inflammation: This disease is cured by applying warm oil of red mango on soles, hands and feet.
5. Urticaria: Soak 100 grams red mango in water then mix cumin seed and sugar in it. Urticaria is cured by taking this preparation.
6. Bloody piles: The person, who suffers from this disease, should take powder of red mango with curd’s cream.
7. Diarrhoea: The patient feels relief by taking 40 to 80 ml solution of red mango’s fruits twice a day regularly in this disease.
8. Amoebic dysentery: If the patient takes 40 to 80 ml infusion of red mango twice a day, he feels relief in amoebic dysentery.
9. Wound: Oil of red mango should be applied on the affected because it helps to cure wounds soon.
10. Blood disorders caused by bile: Give syrup of red mango to the patient twice a day to prevent blood disorders caused by bile.