Taste: It is bitter in taste.
Mostly, trees of Orris root are found in sandy land. Its leaves are long. Its trees are flowerless and its root is called “Orris root”. Orris root is brown and its fragrance is stimulant. One feels guilty after smelling orris root. The best kind of orris root is found in kolkata. Often, shopkeepers sell a wood instead of orris root but it has no fragrance. The doctors considered orris root with fragrance is the best. There are many kinds of orris root which are following-
1. Gorh Orris root
2. Dudhu Orris root
3. Khurasani Orris root
4. Mahamari Orris root
6. Aakar karha
Nature: It is hot natured.
Precaution: It is harmful for hot natured persons.
Removing its side effects: Aniseed and sinkjivan retain the properties of orris root and remove its side effects.
Comparison: Orris root can be compared with Jaraband, clove and Indian rheubarb.
Orris root filters the blood and enhances sperm count. It eliminates gas from the stomach and phlegm. It cures the troubles of the heart and brain. Orris root is beneficial for the patients of paralysis. It reduces lisping and stammering and makes the voice clear. Orris root is good for the treatment for stomach and mental disturbances. It makes strong and powerful to the muscles, stomach and heart. Orris root proves beneficial in eye diseases and toothache of the soft natured persons. It provides long life and brings the phlegm out. It ends acidity and sharpens brain and increases memory power.
White Orris root: White orris root sharpens the brain and enhances memory and digestion power. It provides long life and enhances sperm count. Orris root eliminates phlegm and Vatta. It ends supernatural problems and kills stomach worms.
Mahamary Orris root: The fragrance of mahamary orris root is very pungent. It brings the phlegm out and makes the voice clear. It is used for the treatment of cough. A person concentrates well by its use. Its use removes the offensive smell of the mouth.
Ghor Orris root: Ghor orris root has violent fragrance. It is used for destroying head lice.
Qualities of orris root’s powder: Grind orris root to prepare fine powder and filter it through a cloth. Taking this powder with water or milk on empty stomach in the morning regularly for one month sharpens the mind. Taking the powder of fragrant orris root with milk during moon eclipse or sun eclipse sharpens the brain. The properties of Khurasani orris root or Persian kavach are similar to orris root.
Useful in different diseases:
1. Testicles’ swelling: Grind orris root and mustard 10 grams each with water. Applying this mixture on the testicles regularly reduces testicles’ swelling.
- Sucking 24 to 48 milligrams pieces of ghor orris root provides relief in dry cough. Decoction of ghor orris root is beneficial if children have been suffering from cough.
- Grind orris root with mustard oil and rub it on the nose. It is antipyretic and reduces the cough caused by catarrh.
3. Sterility: If the uterus has become cold, grind orris root, black cumin seed and winter cherry with borax water. Immerse a cotton wad in this water and keep it in the vagina regularly for three days. Its use ends the chilliness of the vagina. Thereafter make sexual relationship on fourth day, it is helpful in conceiving.
4. Emetic medicines: Mix salt and 1 or 2 grams ghor orris root in warm water and give it to the patient to drink, it causes vomiting. Giving it to the patient of cough and asthma provides relief and brings the phlegm out with vomiting. It should not be given to the weak persons or children because vomiting needs strength.
5. Loose motions:
- Fry 240 to 480 milligrams orris root (Ghor Orris root) with honey and give it to the child, it is useful in loose motions.
- Make a decoction by boiling equal quantity of orris root, myrobalan, Indian berberry (Daruhaldi), nut grass, and dry ginger and Indian atees together. Drinking this decoction relieves in bascillary dysentery.
6. Stammering and lisping:
- Mix half to one gram powder of orris root with honey. Giving this mixture to the patient twice a day is beneficial in the treatment of stammering.
- Make powder by grinding equal quantity of sweet orris root, sweet costus root, and winter cheery and small peppers together. Give one gram this powder mixing with honey to the patient for licking. Its use is beneficial for the treatment of stammering and it makes the voice clear.
7. Disorders of a pregnant woman: Grind orris root and garlic on a stone slab to prepare paste. Boil this paste in milk and filter it after cooling. Mix a little asafetida and black salt in this mixture. Giving this mixture to the pregnant woman is useful to end flatulence.
8. Itch and inflammation of the vagina:
- Make fine powder by grinding orris root, adhatoda vasica, leaves of sespadoola (a vegetable), flower of callicarpa macrophylla (priyangu) and peel of margovaz tree (neem) together. Filter this powder with the help of a cloth and make a packet from it. Keep this packet in the vagina. Or immerse a cotton wad in the clean juice of water treling eklipte and keep it in the vagina, it ends the inflammation and itching of the vagina. It also prevents the dirty discharge from the vagina.
- Drinking the juice of orris root daily gets rid of inflammation and pain of the vagina.
9. Sprue: Taking 240 to 480 milligrams orris root with honey cures the disease named sprue.
10. Otorrhoea: Boil 10 grams powder of orris root in 50 ml sesame oil. Mix 3 grams camphor in this oil and filter. Pouring this oil drop after drop into the ears cures otorrhoea and provides relief in ear pain.
- Taking 240 to 480 milligrams orris root mixing with honey or milk twice a day enhances memory. It should not be taken for many days and do not increase its dosage because it may be the cause of headache.
- Mix equal quantity of orris root, Indian pennywort (bramhi) and convolvulus pluricaulis (sankhpushpi) together. Boil this mixture in the juice of Indian pennywort three times and then dry it to prepare fine powder. Taking half to one gram this powder with honey or ghee twice a day enhances memory.
12. Breast size:
- Boil orris root and pomegranate in mustard oil. Rubbing this oil on the breast makes it beautiful, strong and attractive.
- Boil orris root and pomegranate in the juice of gmelina arborea (shriparni) and store it after filtering. Rubbing this oil on the breast for about 10 minutes twice a day increases breast size.
13. Excessive sleep and drowsiness: Make fine powder by grinding orris root. A person sleeps well by applying this powder in the eyes or smelling it.
14. Stomach worms: Grind one pinch powder of orris root with a little asafetida. Giving this mixture with water to the child kills stomach worms.
- Grind equal quantity of orris root, myrobalan (harad), asafetida, black salt, caraway and impure carbonate of potash (javakhar) together to prepare powder. Taking 3 to 6 grams this powder with warm water after filtering cures the disease named hysteria within seven days.
- Make the powder by grinding 20 grams orris root, 30 grams myrobalan, 60 grams babreng or basal, dry ginger 40 grams, 10 grams asafetida, long peppers 80 grams, 50 grams leadwort and 70 grams caraway together. Taking 2 to 4 grams this powder with lukewarm water or wine provides relief in hysteria.
16. Lack of milk in the breast: If the breast milk has been reduced, make decoction by boiling orris root, cyperus, Indian atees, cedar, dry ginger, asparagees gonoclodos (shatawar) and root of Indian sesparilla (anantmool) together. Giving this decoction to the affected woman increases her breast milk.
17. Diabetes mellitus: Grind 6 grams orris root with 4 grams impure carbonate of potash (javakhar). The disease named diabetes mellitus is cured by taking this mixture with water.
18. Stomach pain:
- Mix 240 ml toasted and ground orris root and drink with milk twice a day. Its use relieves in stomach pain.
- Make powder by grinding equal quantity of orris root, ginger, lead wort, oval leaved roseway, costus root, stereospermum suaveolens, parsley and long pepper together. Taking 6 to 10 grams this powder with warm water cures stomach diseases and relieves in spleen pain.
19. Giddiness: Make fine powder by grinding orris root, luffa and dry ginger 5 grams each together. Filter this powder and mix about 5 grams opium in it. Grind this mixture with water. The victim gets rid of giddiness by applying this mixture on the head.
- Taking two pinches powder of orris root with warm water twice a day provides relief.
- Rubbing paste or oil of ghor orris root on affected part is beneficial to end the laziness and pain during arthritis.
- Mix honey with 10 grams powder of orris root and lick it. Or take a small fragment of this powder with one cup of milk; it is beneficial in epilepsy.
- Grind equal quantity of orris root, Indian valerian (tagar), seeds of albizzia lebbeck, liquorice, asafetida, garlic and bitter root of costus root tree with goat’s urine. Applying this mixture in the eyes cures the disease named epilepsy.
- Taking Khurasani orris root and Helle bore with the juice of Indian pennywort cures epilepsy.
- Take powder of orris root with honey and afterwards drink milk and eat rice regularly. Its use cures chronic epilepsy.
- Make the powder by grinding orris root, flowers of albizzia lebbek, madder root, long peeper, mustard, turmeric and dry ginger 5 grams each together. Mix billy goat urine in this powder after filtering it. Make tablets equal the gram of this above preparation and dry them in shadow. Grind one tablet with water and apply this paste in the eyes. Its use cures the disease insanity.
- Mix orris root, juice of Indian aloe and Indian penny wort with the juice of pumpkin. Taking this mixture cures insanity.
23. Leprosy: Grind white orris root with water and apply it on the affected part for the treatment of leprosy.
24. Child weeping: If the child has been suffering from irritation caused by neural problems and weeps constantly, give 1 to 3 gram this powder of orris root with honey and ghee to the child twice a day. Its use relieves to the child.
25. Dentition: Giving 120 to 240 milligrams pieces of orris root to the child to chew twice a day makes dentition easy.
26. Penis enlargement: Make the fine powder by grinding orris root, winter cherry, root of costus root, root of bitter solanum xanthocarpum and asparagees gonoclodos (satavari) 10 grams each together. Boil this powder in 500 grams water until it remains 1\4 then put it down and mix 100 grams sesamem oil in it. Boil this mixture again water burns completely. Apply 3-4 drops of this preparation on the penis and tie penis with a cotton yarns before going to bed at night. Its use increases penis size.
27. Headache: Grind orris root with water and apply it on the head like paste. Its use ends headache.
28. Body swelling:
- Grind orris root and mustard 10 grams each with water to prepare paste. Applying this paste on the testicles reduces testicles swelling.
- Rub the paste of ghor orris root after injury in any body organ or massage its oil to reduce the swelling and agony.
29. Swelling in the throat: Drinking 40 ml decoction of ghor orris root twice or thrice a day reduces the swelling of the throat.
30. Medicine for several infantile diseases: Make a decoction by boiling orris root, costus root and babreng together. Wash to the child below the shoulders with this decoction. Its use removes the flecks, itch and ringworms.
31. Throat pain: Mix 600 milligrams powder of orris root in milk and drink. Its use brings the chocked phlegm out and relieves in throat pain.
32. Hoarseness: Grind catechu, orris root, greater galangal and fabaceal psoralea seeds. Keeping this mixture in the mouth relieves in hoarseness.