Oleander is a tree, which height is about 15 to 20 feet. Its leaves are 4 to 6 inches long, 1 inch wide, spear at its frontal portion, rough from the lower side but smooth from upper side and white in lake shape. Oleander trees are found easily in the forests and gardens. Its flowers are well known which blossom mostly in the summer season. Its pods are 5 to 6 inches long, round and flat. Its flowers, fruits and root are poisonous. There are 4 kinds of oleander- White, Red, Pink and Yellow.
Mostly, white oleander is used as a medicine. If one breaks or scratches oleander’s tree, a white liquid comes out from it which is used as a medicine. Some people consider that oleander trees are poisonous and this is the reason that snakes remains far from its trees.
White Oleander: White oleander is pungent, bitter, vapid and spicy, and hot natured. It takes time in digestion. It is poisonous. It gets rid of spermatorrhoea, leprosy, wound and piles. It destroys worms and eliminates gas trouble. It is very useful for the treatment of eye diseases, itching and fever. It also brings the phlegm out.
Red Oleander: It is pungent and bitter. Apply the paste of red oleander on the affected part. Its use gets rid of leprosy.
According to Ayurveda:
Oleander juice is bitter, pungent, spicy, small and dry as well as hot natured. Its ripe fruit is bitter. It is useful for the treatment of leprosy, skin diseases, wounds, itching, fever, scabies, paralysis and syphilis as well as eye diseases. It destroys worms and reduces warmth. It checks vatta disorders and alleviates run amuck poisoning.
According to Scientists:
Its seed contains 57 percent oil which has a Glycoside named “Thivetin”. Its root contains Glycosides named Neriodon and Nerodorin. Oleander contains a little quantity of Wax, Nerin and flyable oil.
Name in different languages:
English - Oleander
Hindi - Kaner
Sanskrit - Karbir, Shatkumbh, Ashvmarak
Bengali - Karvi
Marathi - Tavandi
Gujrati - Kaner
Tamil - Alaari, Karvirm
Malayalam - Kanaabir
Telugu - Kaner Chettu
Persian - Harsher rani kaner
Kannada - Kanlinge
Arabic - Sumulhimar
Latin - Nerium Oleander
Removing side effects: Honey and ghee should be used after mixing to remove the side effects of oleander.
Dosage: Generally, oleander is prohibited to eat but it can be taken in a quantity of 240 to 480 ml carefully.
Comparison: Oleander can be compared with Chamomile flower.
Useful in different diseases:
1. Poison of snake or scorpion: Grind the root of white oleander plant and apply it on the bitten part or drink the juice of its leaves. Its intake and application alleviates poisoning.
2. Run amuck poison: Take 60 milligrams fine powder of white oleander’s root’s bark mixing with 4 spoons milk twice a day once a week. Its use alleviates run amuck poisoning.
3. Wound: Apply the powder of dry leaves of oleander on the wounds. Its use heals the wound up soon.
4. Boils and pimples: Grind red flowers of oleander to prepare a paste. Apply this paste on boils and pimples twice or thrice a day. The patient gets rid of boils and pimples soon after its use.
- Grind the root of oleander tree with vinegar and apply it on the ringworms twice or thrice a day. Its use gets rid of ringworms.
- Mix the leaves of oleander, juice of Indian gooseberry, sulphur, mustard oil and kerosene together and prepare a paste of this mixture. Apply this paste on the ringworms to vanish them.
- Grind the root of red or white oleander tree with the urine of cow. Apply this preparation on the ringworms. Its use removes ringworms. It is also used for the treatment of piles and leprosy.
- Mix equal quantity of leaves, root, flowers and stem of oleander together. Boil 100 grams this mixture in 500 milliliters mustard oil until oil remains only then filter it and fill into a bottle. Apply this oil on the body regularly. Its use gets rid of all types of itching. It is also used to cure many skin diseases.
- Fry oleander leaves with mustard oil and rub it on the body. Its use gets free a person from itching of the skin.
- Boil oleander leaves in 250 ml oil of white sesame. Apply this preparation on the skin. Its use ends wet and dry itching.
- Grind oleander and neem leaves together to prepare a paste. Apply this paste upon the warts of piles twice or thrice a day. This application provides relief in piles.
- Grind the root of oleander tree with cold water and apply it on the warts which come out while evacuation. This is good treatment of the disease named piles.
- Grind 10 grams root of white oleander tree and cook it with 20 ml refined oil (vanaspatti ghee) to prepare a paste. Apply this paste on the penis twice a day. A person becomes strong sexually and impotence disappears by root.
- Grind the bark of white oleander’s root properly and mix the juice of wild egg plant in it to Make a paste. Apply this paste on the penis excepting the glans of the penis regularly for about 21 days. Its use ends impotence.
9. For giving up the addiction of opium: Make the fine powder by grinding 100 milligrams root of oleander tree. Take 2 spoons this powder with milk regularly for a few weeks. Its use abolishes the addiction of opium.
10. Joints’ pain: Grind the leaves of red oleander and mix oil in it to prepare a paste. Apply this paste on the joints twice a day. Its use gets rid of joints’ pain.
11. Sperm disability: Drink a decoction of the leaves of white oleander. The intake of this decoction checks sperm disability and the diseases caused by warmth.
12. Testicles Itching: Boil the root of white or red oleander tree in oil. Apply this oil on the testicles to get rid of itching, boils and pimples.
13. Testicles’ swelling: Grind the leaves of white oleander with vinegar and heat it slightly. Tie this preparation on the testicles to reduce their swelling.
14. Toothache: Brushing with the twig of white oleander twice a day is useful. A person gets rid of toothache by its use. It makes the tooth strong.
15. Premature greying: Grind the leaves of white and red oleander with milk. Apply this mixture on the head to get relief in this disease. Yellow oleander is more useful in this problem.
16. Hair fall: Grind equal quantity of oleander root, purging nut and bitter luffa together. Boil this mixture in banana juice and oil to prepare a paste. Apply this paste on the head to reduce hair fall.
17. Pain and swelling:
- Make a decoction by boiling the leaves of red or white oleander. Rub this decoction on the affected area. Its use provides quick relief in pain and swelling.
- Grind the root of red or white oleander tree with cow urine. Apply this preparation on the affected part. Its use reduces swelling and pain.
- Grind the root of red oleander tree with water and apply it on the afflicted part or wash wound with the decoction of its leaves. Its use provides relief.
- Grind the root of white oleander tree with water and apply it on the syphilis. Its use heals the wound up and reduces swelling and burning sensation. It also provides relief in ache.
19. Leprosy (white flecks):
- Boil 200 grams oleander leaves in one bucket water. Bathing with this water heals the wounds of leprosy up.
- Grind the root of red or white oleander tree and mix cow urine in it. Apply this mixture on the affected part. Its use gets rid of leprosy.
- Boil 100 grams leaves of white oleander in 2 liters water until one liter water remains then filter it and mix one bucket water in it. Bathing with this water regularly for some months is very useful to get relief in leprosy.
- Apply the juice of oleander root’s bark on the afflicted part. Its use gets rid of leprosy and other skin diseases.
- Grind the bark of oleander’s root in water and apply it on the flecks. Its use removes the flecks caused by leprosy.
20. Sinus: Dry oleander leaves in shadow and prepare the powder by grinding them. Apply this powder on the wounds. This application provides relief.
21. Favus and Fungus: Boil the root of white and red oleander in oil. Rub this oil on the afflicted organs. Its use gets rid of favus and fungus. This oil is also useful to reduce swelling caused by wound. Its use gets rid of leprosy, dry itching and is useful in the crusted stage of the face.
22. Boils and pimples: Make a paste by grinding the bark of oleander root. Apply this paste on suppurated boils. The boils burst within 3-4 hours after this application.
23. Acnes, pimples and flecks on the face: Mix the root of red or white oleander in oil and apply it on the skin. Its use gets rid of all diseases of the skin as- itching, scabies, dry itching, boils and pimples. Rub its panchang’s oil on the skin to get rid of all diseases of the skin.
24. For facial beauty: Apply ground flowers of white oleander on the face after grinding. This paste enhances the beauty of the face.
25. Skin diseases: Make a decoction by boiling the root of white oleander tree and boil it in mustard oil. Apply this mixture on the skin to get rid of all diseases of the skin.
26. Head’s ringworms: Boil the root of white and red oleander in oil. Apply this oil on the head’s ringworms to remove them. It is also a good remedy for the treatment of leprosy, dry itching and skin dryness.
- Mix 240 milligrams sugar candy in about 10 ml juice of oleander leaves. Smell this mixture to stops headache.
- Dry the leaves of white oleander in shadow and grind them to prepare the powder. Take as much this powder as two rice and smell. The patient sneezes by smelling it and headache vanishes. Its use also gets rid of migraine.
- Boil oleander leaves in water and mix mustard or sesame oil in it. Rub this preparation on the head to get rid of headache.