CYPERACEAE, CYPERUS SCARIOUS
Nut-grass is found in humid and watery regions. Shrubs like trees of nut grass are found at the height of 6,000. It grows in humid soil nearby gutters and rivers’ banks. Its flower blossoms in July and fruit appear in December.
Names in Different Languages:
English : Nut-grass
Hindi : Nagarmotha
Sanskrit : Mustak, Warid, Kachthrooha, Must Tatha Megh ke sabhi Yaam
Marathi : Nagarmotha, Motha
Gujarati : Nagarmoth, Motha
Bengali : Nagarmusta, Mutha
Telugu : Tugmuste, Nagarmustelu
Parsian : Mushak Zameen
Latin : Saiheras
Kannada : Konnari
Dravidic : Korakkadung
Arabia : Soad Koophi
Tamil : Muthakach, Korad
Botanical : Cyperus Scarious
Family : Cyperus
Taste: It is spicy, bitter, pungent and dry.
Structure: Nut-grass grows nearby water zones all over country. Its tree’s height is 30-60 centimeter. Its leaves are long and thin. Its fruit appear with its stem in half-inch diameter in egged shape. Fruit is yellow from outside and white from inside with a fragrance. An edible root like kaseru is found out from its root, which is called Nagarmotha (nut-grass).
Nut-grass digests easily and quenches thirst. It increases appetite (digest power), cures Kapha, Pitta, blood disorders, fever, and destroys worms. Its application decreases swelling, fever, poison and increases breast milk. It cures the skin diseases and contracts the uterus. It increases memory power and strengthen the veins.
Useful in Different Diseases:
1. Epilepsy: Uproot a nut-grass plant from north side on an auspicious day and drink with one colour cow’s milk. There is condition that calves of this cow do not die. Its use provides relief in epilepsy.
2. Lack of milk in a mother’s breast:
- Grind nut grass with water and apply on the nipples of the mother. Its use enhances the milk in the breast.
- Grind nut grass properly and apply on the breast of the woman. Mix 6 grams ground nut grass with milk and give to the mother to drink twice a day. Its use enhances milk in the breast. Small tumors found in mother’s milk also reduce.
- Boil nut grass with water and give to the mother to drink. Its use purifies and enhances the milk.
3. Tuberculosis: Grind equal quantity of nut-grass, pipal, dry grapes and ripe fruits of big wild eggs plant. After that, take it with ghee and honey, it reduces cough of T.B.
4. Excessive thirst: Grind nut-grass, fine leaved fumitory, cuscus, red sandal, woodfordia flouribunda and dry ginger together and prepare decoction. After that, give this decoction with cold water to the patient, it quenches the thirst and thirst due to fever.
5. Cough: Grind Indian atees, galls, piper and nut-grass together to make the powder. Temperature along with cough cools down by taking this powder with honey.
6. Hunger: Eating the root of nut-grass is useful to increase appetite. Its use is useful also for heart.
7. Stomach worms:
- One pinch of nut grass powder should take with honey.
- Grind properly nut grass, caraway, toasted cumin seed, black pepper, babereng each 2 grams with 25 grams rock salt. After that, take 4-4 grams this powder with whey, it destroys stomach worms. Its use ends stomachache also.
- Taking 10-20 grams powder of nut-grass root destroys stomach worms.
8. Anorexia: Mix 10 grams nut-grass and five-leaved fumitory (Pitt Papda) together and prepare a decoction by boiling these. After that, take this decoction before one hour of having meal. It increases appetite.
9. For vomiting: Grind equal quantity of nut-grass, oval leaved roseway, emetic nut and liquorice together to prepare the fine powder. After that, take this powder with honey, it creates vomiting.
10. Loose-motion and Amoebic:
- Cook 10 grams nut-grass with 30 ml milk until it remains little. Taking 200 ml thrice a day is useful to privents amoebic dysentery.
- Grind nut grass, asafetida, camphor and oval leaved roseway properly. Make small tablets with this preparation. After that, take these tablets 3-4 times a day, ends amebic loose motions.
- Heat the juice of nut grass and mix honey with it after cooling and take, it twice a day provides relief in amebic loose motions.
- Grind ginger and nut grass properly and mix with honey. Licking this paste provides relief in amebic loose motions.
- Taking powder of nut-grass root is useful to get relief in watery loose motions.
- Grind nut grass, Indian gooseberry, ginger each 10 grams, 30 grams myrolelans and 40 grams dry ginger. Sieve it properly and take, it prevents loose motions, spleen, fever and anorexia.
- Grind nut grass, Bengal quince pulp, lodh, oval leaved roseway, symplocos crataegoides, gum of silk cotton and woodfordia flouribunda properly. Take 3 grams this powder with whey prepared from cow milk twice a day. Its use provides relief in all the types of loose motions.
12. Haleemak: Mix 3 to 6 grams powder of nut-grass root with 1\4 gram iron ash. After that, you should take this preparation and thereafter drink decoction of black catechu. Its use cures the disease haleemak.
13. Menstrual Excretion: Mix ground nut-grass with jiggery and prepare tablets. Taking these tablets is useful to make menses normal.
14. Gonorrhoea: Drinking nut-grass decoction provides relief.
15. Syphilis: Drinking its decoction provides relief.
16. Spermatorrhea: Grind equal quantity of nut-grass, Indian berberin, cedar and Triphala together and prepare decoction by boiling them. After that, take this medicine twice a day; provides relief in spermatorrhea.
17. Blood disorders due to Vaata: The decoction made by turmeric, Indian gooseberry and nut-grass can be used with honey to get relief in the blood disorders due to Vaata.
18. Blood disorders due to Bile: Grind equal quantity of water caltrops, parched rice plant, date, lotus, saffron and nut-grass together and make powder. Taking three grams this powder with honey 3-4 times a day is useful to get relief in blood disorders due to bile.
- By drinking, a decoction prepared by boiling nut-grass and tinospora fever decreases.
- Taking 20-40 ml decoction of nut-grass and fine leaved fumitory (Pitt papra) decreases influenza. It also enhances the digestive power.
- Mix nut-grass, dry ginger and chiretta each 10-grams together and prepare decoction by boiling them. Taking it cures Kapha, Vaata, fever and other diseases.
- Prepare a decoction by boiling nutgrass, fine leaved fumitory (pitt papara), cuscus, white sandal, pauonia odorata and dry ginger. Its use fever inflammation and thirst.
- Prepare a decoction by boiling the fruit of nutgrass and drink twice a day mixing with honey. Its use provides relief in fever and fever because of loose motion and bile. Its use brings sweat and urine. It is excitable.
20. Pain: Grind equal quantity of nut-grass, liquorices, wood apple leaves and red sandal together for preparing powder. After that, apply this powder on the painful.
21. Leech: Sucking nut-grass fruit throws out the leech stuck in the throat.
- Grind nut-grass root and prepare powder. Mix this powder with cow ghee and apply on wound. It recovers the wound soon.
- Grind the fresh fruit of nutgrass and mix with cow ghee and after that apply this preparation.
23. Sweating: Take a decoction made by boiling nut-grass root and its fruit. Its use brings sweat and urine easily. It prevents saliva falling from the mouth.
24. Leprosy: Grind piper, black pepper, myrobalan chebulic (Harar), beleric myrobalan (Bahera), Indian gooseberry (Amla), dry ginger, babreng (Baybidang), nut-grass, sandal, lead wort, false calumba, sona makhi, piper root and cedar each fifty grams and prepare slender powder. Cook mandur with 400 ml cow’s urine until it remains 50 grams. Prepare small tablets like cluster fig’s fruit. Taking these tablets stops belching. It cures leprosy, anorexia, spleen and ends swelling, Kapha, piles, jaundice, fat and other diseases.
25. Urine increase: The use of nut grass powder with whey enhances urine.
26. Testicles Itching: Applying ground nut-grass on the testicles provides relief.
27. Asthma and Cough:
- Grind nut-grass, dry ginger and big Harar together to prepare powder. Take this powder with jiggery for getting relief in asthma and cough.
- Grind dry ginger, Harar and nut-grass with jiggery and prepare 2-2 grams tablets. Sucking these tablets is useful to cure all the types of cough and asthma.
28. Relapsing Fever: Grind nut-grass, piper, helle bore (Kutki), pudding pipe tree and small myrolelans together. Prepare a decoction by boiling this material. Taking it is useful to cure fever.
29. Fever due to Vaata and Pitta disorder: Mix nut-grass, myrolelans, beleric myrobalan (bahera), Indian gooseberry, helle bore, seeds of elloopatree (Mahuaa) and peel of Asiatic greevia (Falsa) together and prepare decoction. Drinking it cures fever caused by phlegm and gas.
30. Sensation of cold in the teeth: Grind nut-grass, callicarpa macrophylea (Phool Priyangu) and Triphala with water and make a paste. Rubbing this paste on teeth regularly is useful to cure this disease.
31. Keratitis: Toast eatable root of nut-grass with ghee and grind. After that, apply its collyrium regularly for 3-4 days; it provides relief completely.
32. Tongue and Skin Senselessness: Mix milk with 3-6 grams ground nut-grass. Taking it twice a day provides relief.
33. Vagina Burning Sensation and Itching: Wring ground fruits of nut-grass and prepare juice and apply it in the vagina, it provides relief in vagina itching and burning sensation.
34. Hiccups: Take one-gram powder of nut-grass with honey, it provides relief.
35. Blood with urine: Dissolve 3-6 grams ground nut-grass with milk and drink twice a day. Its use cleans the urine.
36. Spitting: Drink 20 to 40 ml decoction of nut-grass fruit twice a day, it decreases mouth blisters.
- Grind nut-grass, Indian atees, kernel of bael and oval leaved roseway for preparing fine powder. Taking this powder with honey is useful to cure the disease named sprue.
- Grind equal quantity of nut-grass, Bengal quince pulp, oval leaved roseway, pauonia odorata and gum of silk cotton together and prepare the fine powder. Cook this powder with nanny goat milk. Taking one spoon regularly is useful to cure sprue.
- Grind nut-grass, ailanthus excelsa (Arlu), dry ginger, woodfordia flouribunda, symplocos crataegoides, pauonia odorata, Bengal quince pulp, gum of silk cotton, Indian aloe, colocynth, peel of conessi, mango stone, Indian atees and biophytum sensitivum together to prepare the fine powder. After that, take this powder with honey or rice’s water, it cures the disease named sprue.
- Grind equal quantity of nut-grass, oval leaved roseway, Bengal quince pulp, symplocos crataegoides, gum of silk cotton and woodfordia flouribunda together and prepare the fine powder. After that, take this powder with whey, it cures sprue.
- Taking 3 to 6 grams ground nut-grass with ginger juice, twice a day is useful to cure sprue.
38. Blood Diarrhoea: Take one-gram yellow nut-grass and one-gram sugar-candy with butter twice a day. Its use prevents blood diarrhoea.
39. Amenorrhoea: Take 3 to 6 grams nut-grass’s eatable root 2-3 times a day regularly, it provides relief in Amenorrhoea. One should take only fresh fruit of nut-grass.
40. Leucorrhoea: Grind equal quantity of nut-grass root, Triphala (myrabalan chebulie, beleric myrobalan and Indian Gooseberry), lodh and flowers of elloopatree (Mahuaa) together and prepare the fine powder. After that, take 5 grams this powder with honey regularly, it provides relief in leucorrhoea.
41. Bleeding after delivery: Give 6 grams nut-grass ground to the woman with milk twice a day, it prevents bleeding after delivery.
42. Dropsy: Grind nut-grass and Murdashankh together and make powder. Prepare a decoction with this powder and give to patient. Its use reduces dropsy.
43. Breast-size Enlargement: Grind white nut-grass’s flower with milk of black cow and prepare a paste. After that, apply this paste on the nipples, it provides benefit to increase nipples size.
44. Rheumatism: Take 3 grams powder of caltrops with three grams nut-grass; it ends joints pain.
45. Cholera: Grind 10 grams nut-grass, asafoetida, camphor and 6 grams piper each 6 grams with water and prepare tablets equal to half gram. Taking 1-1 tablets at the regular interval of one hour in first stage of cholera provides relief surely.
46. Children Blood Diarrhoea: Mix 3 to 6 grams oval leaved roseway, with nut-grass and prepare s decoction. After that, give this decoction to children with honey twice a day, it privents blood diarrhoea of children.
47. Nerves Pain: Grind Indian atees, nut-grass, clerodendron serratum (Bharangi), dry ginger, piper and beleric myrobalan (Bahera) each 25 grams together and take 5-5 grams of this powder with water twice a day regularly, it ends nerves pain.
48. Childe disease:
- Grind nut-grass, seed of the ash gourd, cedar and oval leaved roseway with water. Taking this mixture is useful to end children’s swelling.
- Grind nut grass, Indian atees, pistacia integerrima each 5 grams. Give 1\4 gram mixing with honey thrice a day to the children.
- Mix nut-grass, woodfordia flouribunda, lodh, Bengal quince pulp, madder root and pauonia odorata (Netrawala) together and prepare decoction by boiling them. Give this decotion the child to drink. Giving this mixture to children to lick is useful for the treatment of diarrhoea completely.
- Grind nut-grass, pistachio integerrima and Indian atees together and prepare the powder. Giving this powder with honey is useful to get relief in fever, cough and vomiting.