NIGHT SHADE (MAKOY*)
BLACK NIGHT, NITE SEED
Night shade is a small plant. It is found in shady places of India. Its flowers and fruits grow in whole year.
Name in Different Languages:
Hindi : Makoya
Sanskrit : Kakmachi, Rasayanwara, Kakini, Sarvatikta
Marathi : Kuda
Gujarati : Piludi
Bengali : Kakmachi, Gudkamai
English : Black night, Night shade, night seed
Punjabi : Kechumuch, Mako
Telugu : Kaachi
Kannada : Garikesoppu
Arabic : Inbussa-Lab
Parsian : Angoor, Robaah
Scientist name : Solanum Nirgroom
Surname : Solanas
Color: Raw night shade is green and after ripe it changes into red, yellow and black colors.
Taste: Raw night shade is bitter and spicy. Ripen fruit is sour and sweet.
Structure: Night shade has one and half feet long branches. These branches have upper lines. Its leaves are green, in egg or rectangle shape, divided in parts, 2-3 inches long and one and half inches wide. Its flowers are small, white color and with 3 to 8 clusters on branches. Fruits are small, oily and round but raw fruits are green. Its ripe fruits are blue, purple, yellow and red colors. Its seeds are small, glossy, yellow color and like brinjal seeds but seeds are smaller than brinjal seeds. Ripen fruits are sweet.
Temper: Night shade is glossy and hot. Its leaves have 5.9 percent protein, 2.1 percent grease, 8.9 percent carbohydrate and 100 grams night shade has about ¼ grams calcium, ¼ grams phosphorus and 20.5 milligrams iron. Besides it, it has 0.59 mg. /100 grams riboflavin, 0.92 mg. /100 grams nicotinic acid, 0.11 mg. /100 grams vitamin C, and 0.74 milligrams/100 grams carotene. Raw fruits have four type A.R.B sole nigrins- Steroid, Alkaloid, Solamarzin and Cloisonné. Its ripen fruits have glucose, fructose (15-20 percent) and vitamin C. Oil (green and yellow colors) is made from its seeds.
Removing bad-effects: Honey and night shade removes its bad effects and saves its qualities.
Precautions: The people who have been suffering from abdomen disorders they should not take it, because it may be harmful for their health. Taking over quantity is harmful for penis.
Comparison: It can be compared with Kaknaz.
Qualities: Night shade is very hot, bitter, and sour, and ends gas, bile and phlegm (Vaata, Pitta and Kapha) disorders. It eliminates swelling, pain, wound swelling and improves body color. It increases appetite and provides excitement to liver. It makes digestive process fast. It checks hiccups and cures breath-diseases and cough. It increases urine, brings sweat, and cures leprosy, fever and ends poison. Night shade is bitter and nutritive. Taking it ends swelling, and cures piles, diarrhoea, coryza and skin diseases caused by liver disorders.
Useful in Different Diseases:
- Take 10 to 20 ml decoction of night shade’s root mixed with a little jaggery; it provides relief.
- Tie night shade roots on the forehead with thread made from cotton or keep lemon (bijora nimboo) on the head of a bad, it provides sleep early.
2. Eyes Diseases (pill rog): Apply ghee on night shade’s fruits and burn resulting fume turn out. Give it fume on the patient eye; it kills bacteria that cause this disease.
3. Ear Pain: Dripping 2-2 drops juice of night shade’s leaves in the ear and nose provides relief.
4. Mouth Blisters: Chewing 5-6 leaves of night shade provides relief in mouth and tongue blisters.
5. Teeth Diseases: Mix equal quantity of night shade leave’s juice and ghee or oil together. Rubbing this mixture on teeth makes dentition easily without any pain.
6. Heart Diseases and Dropsy: Prepare syrup from night shade’s leaves, fruits and branches. After that, take 2 to 6 ml quantity of this syrup 2-3 times in a day. It cures dropsy and all diseases of heart.
7. Vomiting: Mix 10 to 15 milliliter juice of night shade and 125-250 milligrams borax together. Drinking it prevents vomiting.
8. Vegetable: Night shade’s leaves and soft branches are used to make vegetables (sabjee). Its fruit is used to eat.
9. Dyspepsia: Drink 50-60 ml decoction of night shade, it cures the disease. Washing eyes with its decoction increases eyesight.
10. Liver Enlargement: Drink one and half ml juice of night shade regularly; it decreases liver enlargement. Heat night shade’s juice in a soul pot until it changes into red or pink then put down and take it. It provides benefit in liver enlargement.
11. Spleen Enlargement: Drink 50-60 ml decoction of night shade mixed with rock salt and cumin seed. Or drink juice of ripen mango mixed with honey. It cures spleen diseases.
- Mix nitre with 4-6 drops of sal-ammoniac in 50 to 60 ml decoction of night shade’s leaves. After that, drink this mixture twice a day, it recovers liver enlargement. Mix 40-60 ml decoction of night shade and 2-5 grams powder of turmeric. Drinking it cures jaundice.
- Mix decoction of night shade and turmeric together and take this preparation, it provides relief in jaundice.
- Make lukewarm to four spoons juice of night shade and take regularly for one week, it provides relief in jaundice.
- Apply warm paste of night shade’s flowers; it eliminates swelling of whole body.
- Toast night shade, wild asparagus, white goose foot (Bathuaa) and salt with ghee and Mansrus. Take it according to capacity. Drink milk of cow, buffalo and goat after the meal. It eliminates body swelling.
14. Kidney diseases: Drink 10-15 ml. juice of night shade regularly; it creates loose-motions and increases urine quantity. It also eliminates pain and swelling of kidney and urinary bladder.
15. Leprosy: Grind 20-30 grams leaves of black night shade and apply on affected part. It cures leprosy.
16. Red flecks: Drinking a little juice of night shade is useful to remove the red and old flecks from body.
17. Testicles swelling: One should tie hot leaves of night shade on painful and swelled testicles and hands-feet.
18. Constipation: Drink juice of night shade; it makes motions normal and eliminates constipation.
19. Vomiting: Mix juice of night shade and borax together. Drinking it checks vomiting.
20. Ear Swelling: Mix 10-20 ml juice of night shade’s branches and leaves with honey. Take it twice a day. Or eat its leaves vegetable, it provides relief in swelling. Applying its juice on ear is useful too.
21. Foreign Body in the Ear: Dripping juice of night shade’s leaves in ear throws ear worms out.
22. Piles: Mix juice of night shade with water and drink thrice a day, it cures bloody piles.
23. Liver Diseases:
- Warm light 25 ml juice of night shade and apply on the liver. It helps to decrease liver enlargement.
- Take five ml juice of green night shade regularly 4-5 day, it provides relief in liver diseases.
- Take 20 to 100 ml juice of night shade thrice a day, it gives relief in liver and stomach diseases.
- Eating cooked vegetable of night shade’s leaves cures dropsy.
- Take 2 to 8 ml syrup of night shade’s panchang (Root, leaf, fruit, flower and bark) 1-2 times a day; it cures dropsy.
25. Stomach Enlargement: Drink 10 to 20 ml juice of night shade twice a day; it decreases stomach enlargement.
26. Blood bile: Drinking 10-20 ml juice of night shade twice a day is useful to check blood vomiting.
27. Eczema: Grind telebide alu ritis (ankol) seeds with night shade’s juice. Applying it removes marks of eczema.
28. Inside and outer swelling of heart: Drinking 10-20 ml juice of night shade’s leaves twice a day is useful to get relief in this disease.
29. Rickets: Drink juice of night shade’s leaves regularly twice a day; it provides relief in rickets of child.
30. Children Liver Diseases: Mix 20 ml juice of night shade and 20 ml juice of radish together and take this preparation, it twice a day cures liver diseases.
31. Blood Disorders: Drinking 10-20 ml juice of night shade twice a day provides relief. It eliminates constipation and throws out all poisons. It also recovers liver activities. It purifies blood and cures all the diseases of skin. Taking it creates urine and outs the poison. If anyone has been suffering from chronic disease, give it to him with cooked vegetable of leaves and branches. Applying ground leaves is useful too.
32. Children Diseases:
- If anyone has been suffering from dentition pain, boil water of green night shade and gulrogan together and make it lukewarm. Now rub it on the gums by fingers and drip 1-2 drops oil in the ear. Or put-on Sambhalu root in throat. This treatment provides benefit in children diseases.
- Dripping juice of night shade’s leaves kills ear worms.
33. Throat Diseases:
- Grind equal quantity of night shade, black cumin seed and chalk (Khadiya soil) together then mix water in it to make paste. Apply it on the affected parts, it provides relief in throat diseases.
- Mix neem leaves, dried night shade and honey together then boil with water until it remains half water then put down and make it light cool. Gargling with this preparation eliminates throat pain.