NEROLIBD SEPISTAR, SEBESTAN
Sebestan trees are long height. Its leaves are very smooth. The people who belong to South, Gujarat and Rajputana states use it as betel-leaf. It taste is like a betel-leaf. There are 3 to 4 kinds of sebestan but two kinds of it is main which are called Lameda and Lasoda. These kinds are also famous as the names of small and big Lasoda. The wood of its tree is very strong and smooth. Its wood is used to make furniture and guns butt. It is also used in building works. Its wood is also used to make other useful things.
Sebestan fruits are like betel-nut. Raw sebestan is used to make saag (green cooked vegetable) and pickles. Ripe sebestan is sweet. It has sweet and oily juice like gum which increases fat.
Name in different languages:
English - Nerolibd sepistar, Sebestan
Sanskrit - hleshmatak, Laghushleshmatak
Hindi - Gondi, Nisora, Bahuvar lasoda
Marathi - Gondhdi, Bhokar, Shelvat
Gujrati - Gudi or Moti gundi
Kannada - Doddchallu,Bikeged, Manadikealle-Mara, Saranchalu
Telugu - Poddnakeru
Tamil - Koriyanaruvili
Persian - Sifistaan, Dabak
Latin - rdiyoegistfolia, Cordiya myxa
Colour: Raw fruits of it are green and ripe fruits are pink.
Taste: It is vapid and ripe are sweet.
Structure: Mostly, its trees are found in jungles. Its leaves are round and some long. Its flowers are round like plum (alucha). Its flowers are juicy and blossom in clusters.
Nature: It is cool in nature.
Precautions: Taking over quantity of it is harmful for the stomach and liver.
Removing side effects: Mix rose flowers and jujub seeds together. This mixture should be used to remove side effects of it.
Comparison: It can be compared with althaea officinalis roxb (Khatmi).
Dosage: 20 seeds of sebestan can be taken.
Quality: Sebestan makes the stomach and chest soft. It ends throat irritation, swelling and blood disorders. It brings phlegm out and eliminates bile disorders with the motions. It checks bile and blood disorders. It quenches thirst and ends chest pain. It cures anuria and dysuria, fever, asthma and dry cough. Eating soft leaves (Kople) of it cures gonorrhoea and ends burning sensation of urine.
Sebestan is bitter, cool, pungent, easy digestible, sweet and oily. It kills stomach worms and ends pain. It alleviates all types of poisoning. It cures chicken pox, boils and erysipelas. Its fruits are cool, sweet, bitter and light.
The ripe fruits of sebestan are sweet, cool, nutritive, dry and heavy. These are useful to checks vatta disorders.
Useful in different diseases:
1. Diarrhoea: Grind the bark of sebestan tree with water and drink; it cures diarrhoea.
2. Cholera: Grind the bark of sebestan tree with gram bark and give it to the cholera patient, it provides relief.
3. Toothache: Gargling with decoction of sebestan bark is useful to end toothache.
4. Body strength: Dry sebestan fruits and prepare powder from these. Mix sugar treacle in this powder and make sweetmeats (Laddo) from it. Eating these sweetmeats increases fat and makes the back strong.
5. Swelling: Make the paste by grinding bark of sebestan tree. After that, apply this paste on the eyes, it ends eyes pain and pain caused by small pox.
6. Relapsing fever: Take 20 to 40 ml decoction of sebestan bark twice a day; it provides relief in this disease.
7. Leucorrhoea: Grind soft leaves of sebestan tree and extract juice. After that, take this juice, it cures spermatorrhoea and leucorrhoea.
8. Ringworms: Grind kernels of sebestan seeds and apply it on ringworms, it cures them.
9. Boils and pimples: Tying poultice (Potli) of sebestan leaves on the boils and pimples cures them quickly.
10. Throat diseases: Gargling with decoction of sebestan bark is useful to cure all the diseases of the throat.