The trees of mountain ebony are found in all countries. Specially, its trees are grown in the gardens for decoration. The trees of mountain ebony are 15 to 20 feet high, bended with weak branches. Its bark is about 1 inch thick and brown which is rough in length here and there. Its leaves are 3 to 6 inches long, 2 to 5 inches wide, joint in starting and open from tips. Its heart shaped leaves have 9 to 11 veins. The buds of mountain ebony’s flowers are green. Its flowers are white and red or yellow. Mountain ebony has three kinds according to its colours. Its flowers blossom in autumn viz in the months of February-march. The fruits of mountain ebony grow in the month of May. Its pods are 6-12 inches long, 1 inch wide, smooth and flat. Its each pod has 10 to 15 seeds. Its fruits are bitter in taste.
According to scientists: It has been found after analyzing the chemical structure of mountain ebony that its bark contains Tannin, Sugar and a brown Gum. Its seeds contain 16.5 percent yellow oil. Its seeds are nutritive and increase sexual excitement.
Name in different languages:
Hindi : Kachnar
English : Mountain ebony
Sanskrit : Kaachnar
Marathi : Kaanchan, Koral
Gujrati : Champakati
Bengali : Kaanchan
Latin : Bauhinia variegate
Colour: Mountain ebony is white.
Taste: It is pungent.
Structure: Mountain ebony is a tree which is grown in gardens and in the raw of flowers. Its leaves are like the sebestan but in 1 or 2 pairs. Its flowers are white and red. The pods of mountain ebony are 6 to 12 inches long.
Nature: Mountain ebony is dry.
Precautions: Mountain ebony takes time in digestion so it may be the cause of constipation.
Bark powder : 3 to 6 grams
Flowers juice : 10 to 20 milliliters
Bark decoction : 40 to 80 milliliters
Useful in different diseases:
Swelling: Make a paste by grinding the root of mountain ebony tree with water. Heat this paste on fire and apply it on the affected part. Its use reduces swelling.
Stomatitis (Mouth blisters): Mix a little catechu in the decoction of the mountain ebony’s bark. Apply this mixture on the mouth blisters to get rid of them.
Piles: Take 1 spoon bark of mountain ebony tree mixing with 1 cup of whey thrice a day. Its use stops bleeding from the warts of piles.
Spermathorrhoea: Mix sugar-candy in the powder of green and dry buds of mountain ebony tree. Take 1 spoon this mixture thrice a day for a few weeks regularly. Its use provides relief in spermathorrhoea.
Scrofula: Make a decoction by boiling the bark of mountain ebony tree and mix dry ginger powder in it. After that, drink half cup this decoction thrice a day, it gets rid of scrofula.
Anorexia: Fry the petals of the mountain ebony flower with ghee and then take this preparation twice a day to get rid of anorexia and its use increases appetite.
Gastric: Make a decoction by boiling the bark of downy mountain ebony. Take 20 milliliters this decoction mixing with half spoon ground caraway after the meals twice a day. A person gets rid of flatulence. It eliminates gas trouble too.
Cough and asthma: Take 2 teaspoons decoction of downy mountain ebony’s bark mixing with honey thrice a day. Its use provides relief.
- Burn bark of mountain ebony’s tree and grind it finely to prepare ash. Brushing with this ash after the meals twice a day cures toothache and prevents bleeding from the gums.
- Burn bark of mountain ebony tree and prepare powder from it. Brushing with this powder regularly cures toothache and prevents bleeding from the gums.
Tooth problems: Boil the bark of mountain ebony tree with water and filter it then store it into a bottle. Heat its 50 grams quantity daily and gargle with it thrice a day. Its use gets rid of tooth looseness, toothache, tooth bleeding, gums’ swelling and pyorrhoea.
Surfeited: Drink the decoction of downy mountain ebony’s root. Its use gets rid of flatulence.
Numbness of the tongue and skin: Take 2 to 4 grams powder of downy mountain ebony’s bark twice a day. Its use fits the activity of skin and juicy glands. It also gets rid of skin numbness.
- Make syrup by grinding the flowers of mountain ebony with sugar. Drinking this syrup twice a day breaks constipation and sets the motions.
- Take 2 spoons jam (Gulkand) of mountain ebony’s flowers before sleeping at night regularly for a few days. Its use breaks constipation.
Cancer: Drink the decoction of mountain ebony’s bark gets rid of stomach cancer.
Loose motions: Take a decoction of mountain ebony’s bark twice a day. Its use stops loose motions.
Hematuria (Blood with urine): Drink the decoction of mountain ebony’s flowers twice a day. Its use gets rid of hematuria and metrorrhagia.
- Take 3 grams powder of mountain ebony’s bark with one glass whey twice a day. Its use provides relief in piles and blood piles.
- Take 5 grams powder of mountain ebony with water daily in the morning. Its use gets rid of piles.
Blood diarrhoea: Take a decoction of mountain ebony’s flowers twice a day to get quick relief.
Disturbances in blood caused by bile:
- Lick 1 to 2 grams powder of mountain ebony’s flowers twice a day. Its use gets rid of this disease. The saag (cooked green vegetable) of mountain ebony should be taken. Its use also provides relief.
- Take 6 grams juice of mountain ebony’s leaves. Its use prevents bleeding from the mouth.
- Make powder by grinding the dry fruits of mountain ebony and store it. Take one spoon this powder mixing with honey thrice a day to get relief. Eat cooked vegetable of mountain ebony’s flowers if you want to remain far from this disease.
- If the child is the victim of hunchback, scatter the flowers of mountain ebony under the child’s back. Its use gets rid of hunchback.
- Give 60 to 120 milligrams mountain ebony and Indian bdellium mixing with honey to the child. The child gets rid of this disease named hunchback.
- Give the decoction of mountain ebony to the patient of hunchback. This medicine provides good relief in this disease.
Wound: Drink the decoction of mountain ebony’s bark twice a day to heal up the wound. Washing wound with this decoction also provides relief.
Breast tumour: Make powder by grinding the bark of mountain ebony tree. Take 240 to 480 milligrams this powder mixing with dry ginger and rice water. Apply this preparation on the nipples of the breast. The tumors of the breast will disappear soon.
Syphilis: Boil the bark of mountain ebony tree, bitter-gourd root, pods of acacia tree, root of small wild egg plant with its leaves and 125 grams old jaggery in 2.80 kilograms water into a soil pot until a little water remains then put it down and filter it. The patient of syphilis gets rid of this disease by taking 1-1 dosage of this preparation twice a day.
Head boil: Make a decoction by boiling the bark of mountain ebony, root of holy garlic pear and dry ginger together. Take 20 to 40 ml this decoction twice a day. Its use maturates boils and heals them up. Apply this decoction on the boils. Its use also provides relief.
Chicken pox: Mix golden ash in the decoction of mountain ebony’s bark. Take this decoction twice a day. Its use provides relief in chicken pox.
Adenoids: Take dry ginger mixing with 20 ml decoction of mountain ebony’s bark twice a day. It is good remedy for the treatment of adenoids.
Scrofula: Grind the bark of mountain ebony and mix rice water in it. Mix sugar-candy in this mixture and take. Its use gets rid of scrofula.
Acute pharyngitis: Make a decoction by boiling catechu fruits, flowers of pomegranate and the bark of mountain ebony together. Gargle with this decoction twice a day. Its use reduces throat’s swelling. This disease also can be cured by smoking the leaves of five leaves chaste.
Hoarseness: Chew or suck mountain ebony to make the throat and voice clear. Its use sweetens the voice. It is very useful for singers.