Sanskrit : Hanpadi
Hindi : Maiden hair
Marathi : Hanspadi
Colour: It is green and brown.
Taste: It is pungent.
Structure: Maiden hair plants are found near by cool places of water and ponds. Its root is soft and red. Its leaves are small and green.
Nature: It is cool, but it is soft and hot in nature according to some people.
Precaution: Taking over quantity of maiden hair may be harmful for the spleen.
Removing bed effects: Mastagi and wild violet remove the bad effects of maiden hair.
Compare: It can be compared with gulbanfasa and liquorice.
Dose: Maiden hair should be taken in 10 grams quantity.
Maiden hair is heavy digestion and cool in nature. It is useful for the treatment of blood disorders, ulcer, diarrhoea, epilepsy, swelling and burn part of the body. It is useful for the heart. It eliminates gas and brings phlegm out. It cures asthma and cough, and ends retention of urine and provides relief from chest pain. It helps to discharge urine easily. It brings out phlegm and flatulence by loose motions. Mix ghee with ground leaves of maiden hair leaves. After that, coat it on the head, it cures alopecia. If the woman has been suffering from retention of menstrual exertion, she should take maiden hair, because it makes menstrual excretion normal.
Useful in different diseases:
1. Erysipelas: Taking 120-360 milligrams powder of maiden hair root with honey twice a day is useful to get relief.
2. Fever: Taking 120-360 milligrams powder of panchang (stem, root, leaves, fruit and flower) of maiden hair with honey twice a day is useful to get relief in fever.
3. Conception: Taking fine powder of maiden hair helps in conception.
4. White leucorrhoea: Take powder of maiden hair with curd, it cures white leucorrhoea.
5. Head ringworm: Grind maiden hair (Black maiden hair) with cool water and apply it on the head, it cures ringworm and wound of the head.
6. Pyaemia: Take 120-360 milligrams maiden hair or its panchang (stem, root, leaves, fruit and flower) with honey, it purifies the blood and increases blood quantity too.