Lotus flowers blossom in muddy water and its flowers are very beautiful. Lotus is fragrant, attractive, red, pink, white and blue. Its leaves are green from the upper side and light white from the lower side. Its leaves are very smooth. Water drops do not stay on its leaves. The lower stalk of lotus leaf is called “Lotus pipe (Kamal Nal)”. Its root is called “Vis”. The flowers and leaves of lotus grow on the stalk (nal) which has 5-6 pores. Its each flower has 15 to 20 seeds which are called “Kamalgatta”. Its raw seeds are white and soft but change into black color after drying and ripening. Lotus flowers blossom in the month of March and April.
According to Ayurveda: Lotus is cool in nature and sweet in taste. It eliminates phlegm and bile. It quenches thirst and alleviates poisoning. It gets rid of blood disorders, burning sensation and boils. It is very useful medicine for the treatment of heart problems and improving complexion of the skin. It is used to get rid of retching, loose motions, dysentery, urinary problems, skin diseases, fever, piles, vomiting and bleeding. It also ends the weakness.
According to Scientists: It has been found after analyzing the chemical structure of lotus that its leaves contain Newsiferin and Romerin acid.
The elements, which are found in dry seeds of lotus:
Carbohydrate - 66.6 percent
Protein - 17.2 percent
Vasa - 2.4 percent
Iron - In some quantity
Calcium - In some quantity
Sugar - In some quantity
Ascorbic acid - In some quantity
Vitamin-B - In some quantity
Vitamin-C - In some quantity
Name in different languages:
English - Lotus
Hindi - Kamal, Safed Kamal, Lal Kamal,
Sanskrit - Ambuj, Padam, Pundrik, Nila Kamal
Marathi - Kamal, Tanblea, Pandhre Kamal
Gujrati - Dhola Kamal
Bengali - Padam
Latin - Nilumbo newsifera
Useful in different disease:
1. For head and eyes’ coolness: Boil the root of lotus plant in double quantity of coconut oil and filter. Apply this preparation on the head. This application provides coolness to the eyes and head.
2. Increase the strength of heart and brain: Take 1 spoon powder of lotus root with one spoon sugar-candy regularly to increase the strength of heart and brain.
3. Diarrhoea caused by bile: Eat pudding (Halwa) of kernels of lotus’ seeds if a person has been suffering from loose motions because of excessive bile.
4. For beautiful face: Make a paste by grinding the petals and leaves of lotus’ flower together. Apply this paste on the face before sleeping at night. Its use makes the face soft and beautiful.
5. Blood piles:
- Take 5 grams saffron mixing with 5 grams butter twice a day. Its use gets rid of blood piles.
- Take saffron mixing with butter and sugar-candy regularly. Its use provides relief in blood piles.
6. Wet cough: Take 1 to 3 grams powder of lotus seeds mixing with honey twice a day. Its use gets rid of wet cough.
7. Fever: Mix 1 to 2 petals of lotus flower, powder of white sandal, powder of red sandal, liquorice and mustak together. Take this mixture twice a day. This medicine reduces fever and the weakness of the body.
8. Prolapsus ani:
- Grind lotus’ leaves and sugar 5 grams each together properly. Give this mixture with 10 ml water to the child. Its use gets rid of prolapsus ani.
- Give 1 spoon powder of lotus’ leaves with equal quantity of sugar-candy to the child thrice a day. Its use gets rid of prolapsus ani.
9. Dandruff in the head: Boil lotus, triphala, zataria multiflora (Saatal), flavieria repanda, iron powder and cow-dung in oil. Apply this mixture on the hair regularly. Dandruff disappears by its use.
- Drink the juice of lotus’ seeds to get rid of vomiting.
- Toast lotus’ seeds (Kamalgatta) and bring out green sprouts contained in it from these seeds. Grind these sprouts and give to the patient to lick mixing with honey. Its use stops vomiting.
11. Hiccup: Boil the seeds of lotus in water and drink. Its use stops hiccup.
12. To check abortion:
- Grind 1-2 petals of lotus flower and prepare a decoction by boiling it. Drink this decoction. Its use prevents bleeding in the period of pregnancy and there is no doubt of abortion.
- The woman, who becomes the victim of abortion again and again, should take lotus’ seeds. Take its seeds in the first month of pregnancy. Its use reduces the doubt of abortion.
- Grind equal quantity of lotus’ stalks and cobra saffron together. Take this mixture in the first month of pregnancy. Its use checks discharge from the uterus.
13. Furunculosis of external ear: Grind the fruit of lotus root and apply it on the ear’s pimples. Its use gets rid of this disease.
14. Amenorrhoea: Take ground root of lotus plant. Its use gets rid of all disturbances relating to menstrual excretion and regulates menses.
15. Leucorrhoea: Drink the juice of lotus’ seeds twice a day. Its use provides relief.
16. Disturbances in the second month of pregnancy:
- If there is a doubt of any disturbance in the second month of pregnancy, grind lotus, water nut (kaseru) and water chest nut with rice’s water. Mix rice’s water also in it. Drink this mixture. Its use remains a pregnant woman far from pain and other disturbances during second month of pregnancy.
- Make a decoction by boiling equal quantity of bergenia ligulata (Paashan bhed), black sesame, madder root and asparagus in milk. Drink this decoction. Its use checks bleeding from the uterus and the woman does not become the victim of pain and other types of disturbances in the second month of pregnancy.
17. Breast hardness: Take ground seeds of lotus mixing with 2 spoons sugar candy regularly for 4-6 weeks. Its use reduces the hardness of the nipples.
18. Lack of milk in the breast:
- Eat cooked vegetable of lotus root regularly. Its use increases the milk in the breast.
- Soak lotus’ seeds in water at night. Peel these seeds and throw its internal green leaves out in the morning. Dry these seeds and grind them to prepare the powder. Take about 3 to 6 grams this powder mixing with curd or milk regularly for a few days. Its use increases the milk of breast.
19. For good shaped breast: Grind the kernels of lotus’ seeds to prepare powder. Take this powder with curd once a day. Its use makes the breast good and beautiful.
20. For the contraction of the vagina: Grind the root of lotus’ plant with water and make small tablets of this paste. Take 1 tablet before sleeping at night regularly. Vagina becomes tight by its use.
21. Itching and inflammation of the vagina: Grind the root of lotus’ plant with water properly and apply it on the affected organ. Its use removes the ringworms and ends the itching and burning sensation of the vagina.
22. Urinary problems: Mix one spoon powder of white lotus’s burls, half spoon powder of cumin seeds and 10 grams ghee together. Take this mixture twice a day. Its use provides relief in many urinary problems.