Mostly, lodh trees are found on hill areas of North and East India. Its trees are very high and big. Lodh tree grows itself in the forests. Its leaves are 9 to 15 centimeters long and round like an egg. Its flowers are fragrant and white or black with yellowness. Its fruits are in egg shape, half inch long, smooth and black or purple. Its each fruit has 1-3 seeds. The bark of lodh tree is red or dusky which is used as medicine.
Name in different languages:
English - Lodh tree
Sanskrit - Lodhr
Hindi - Lodh, Pathhani lodh
Marathi - Lodh
Bengali - Lodh
Gujrati - Lodhar
Latin - Symplocos recemosa
Dosage: One should take 2 to 5 grams powder of lodh tree bark.
Useful in different diseases:
1. Breast diseases: Make the paste by grinding bark of lodh tree with water. After that, rub this paste on the breast twice a day. It ends breast pain and breast flabbiness. It makes breast hard and beautiful.
2. Amenorrhoea: Take one spoon powder of lodh bark with water thrice a day for some days; it normalizes menses.
3. Acnes and pimples: Make the paste by grinding equal quantity of lodh tree bark, coriander powder and orris root with water. Applying this paste on the face before bath in the morning and before sleeping at night cures face acnes and pimples. It also makes the face glow.
4. Gums problems:
- Gargling with decoction of lodh bark regularly for some days cures gums bleeding and tooth looseness. It also ends gums looseness.
- Make the fine powder by grinding equal quantity of lodh, liquorice, and sappan wood, and laccifer lacca together. Filter this powder and mix honey in it. After that, rub this mixture on the gums wound. It ends swelling and prevents bleeding.
- Gargling with decoction of lodh tree’s leaves prevents bleeding and discharge of pus from the gums. It also ends gums pain.
5. Abortion: Make the powder by grinding equal quantity of lodh and long pepper together. After that, take one spoon of this powder with honey twice a day. It ends possibility of abortion.
6. Eye diseases: Make the paste by grinding lodh and apply it on the closed eyelids then wash eyes after one hour, it cures eyes diseases.
7. White leucorrhoea: Mix bark of lodh tree and bark of banyan tree together and prepare the decoction from it. After that, take 2 spoons of this decoction twice a day for some days, it provides relief in white leucorrhoea.
8. Diarrhoea: Taking one-teaspoon powder of lodh bark with honey thrice a day is useful to prevent diarrhoea within 2-4 days.
9. Otorrhoea: Dripping fine powder of lodh bark in the ears is useful to end ear pain.
10. Erysipelas: Grind lodh and sandal with madder root together. After that, apply this preparation on the affected part, it provides relief in erysipelas.
11. Pyorrhoea: Grind equal quantity of lodh, red sandal, liquorice root and laksha together. After that, rub this mixture on the teeth and gums. It cures pyorrhoea.
12. Wound and pimples:
- Take 1.20 grams lodh with sugar-candy 2-3 times a day. It is useful to cure every types of wound. Washing wound with decoction of lodh provides quick relief.
- Make the paste by grinding bark of lodh tree with water. After that, apply this paste or powder of lodh bark on the wounds 2-3 times a day. It cures wounds, boils and pimples.
13. Elongation of the uvula: Gargling with decoction of lodh is useful to cure elongation of the uvula.
- Make the powder by grinding 20 grams pathani lodh and filter it. After that, take 2 grams of this powder with water in the morning, it provides relief in leucorrhoea.
- Take powder of pathani lodh with honey afterwards drink 250 milliliters milk twice a day, it provides relief in white leucorrhoea.
- Mix sugar-candy in 1200 milligrams lodh powder. After that, take 3-4 grams this mixture daily. It provides relief in metorrhagia and leucorrhoea within 3-4 days.
15. Metorrhagia (Blood leucorrhoea):
- Make the powder by grinding equal quantity of lodh bark and sugar-candy together. After that, take one teaspoon of this powder thrice a day for some days. It prevents excessive bleeding during menstrual excretion.
- Taking 1.20 grams lodh powder 3-4 times a day provides relief in metorrhagia within 4 days. It increases uterus contraction and ends uterus flabbiness. It is also beneficial in leucorrhoea.
- Take 1-2 grams powder of lodh bark with 50 milliliters rice washed water twice a day, it provides relief in metorrhagia.
16. Delivery problems: Apply lodh paste on the vagina; it provides relief in vagina cracks during delivery.
17. Stomach enlargement: Taking 600 to 1200 milligrams lodh powder with 3-4 grams ground sugar-candy cures stomach enlargement. It makes the stomach normal after contracting stomach muscles.
18. Stomach ulcer: Take 600 to 1200 milligrams lodh powder twice a day; it cures stomach ulcer.
19. Ailments caused by vaccination:
- Take 600 to 1200 milligrams lodh; it cures sores caused by vaccination.
- Washing wound with 600 to 1200 ml decoction of lodh cures wound caused by vaccination.
20. Pyaemia (Pus with blood): Taking 720 to 1200 milligrams lodh powder with sugar-candy 2-3 times a day is useful to cure pyameia.
21. Menorrhagia: Grind 10 grams lodh and mix 10 grams loaf-sugar in it. After that, take 2 grams this mixture with water twice a day, it cures menorrhagia.