Indian valerian trees are found in Kashmir to Bhutan and in the Himalaya regions. Its root is zigzag, which is known as “sugandbala” (Pauonia odorata). It affects on the central nerves system badly, so it is useful in the condition nadi sanchhop due to hysteria, stomach gas and bleeding of the woman.
Name in different languages:
English : Indian valerian
Hindi : Tagar
Sanskrit : Tagar, Vakra and kutil, Nahusat, Nat, Shath
Gujarati : Ganthoda and Tagar
Marathi : Tagar mool
Punjabi : Suganbala
Arabic : Sarun
Bengali : Tagar paduca
Parsian : Asarun
Telugu : Gandhi tarag, Kuchetatte
Outer structure: Indian valerian plant is about 7-15 inches high which spreads on the land as creeper. Its leaves are 1-3 inches long, one inch wide and the shape of top like heart shape. Its flowers are white, some pink and unisexual. Its fruits are hairy.
Chemical structure: Indian valerian contains 0.5 to 2.10 % fly oil, which is main element of it. This oil contains Balearic acid, rapine, alcohol, arecidic acid, fat and sesiqbitrpin elements.
Useful in different diseases:
1. Paralysis: Taking ¼ to 1 grams fresh fruit of Indian valerian 2-3 times in a day is useful to get relief in diabetes and diabetes mellitus caused by disorders of the head and majja fibs. It is also useful for the treatment of insanity, epilepsy, diabetes and disorders of poison.
2. Menstrual excretion disorders: Take 1-3 grams powder or 50-100 milliliters decoction of Indian valerian; it makes menstrual excretion normal. It also generates sleeping and cures chronic leucorrhoea.
3. Eyes pain: Applying ground leaves of Indian valerian on outer of the eye, it provides relief from the eyes pain.
4. Heart: Taking little quantity of Indian valerian makes activity fast of blood circulation. Mix fine powder of Indian valerian with lukewarm water and filter it. Taking it increases power of the heart and navel. Taking it in over quantity may be harmful.
5. Nerves system: Boil ground root of Indian valerian and 4 parts sesamem oil with 4 parts water on light fire thereafter filter it. Taking it cures nerve pain and weakness of the veins.
6. Rheumatism (Joints pain):
- Taking Indian valerian with yashad ash cures rheumatism, paralysis, throat diseases, joints pain, etc.
- Grind 3 grams bark of green root of Indian valerian with whey there after give it to the patient, it provides relief from the joint pain of the chest bones.
7. Wound: Coating Indian valerian on the affected part is useful to cure chronic wound and ulcer.
8. Delusion: Taking about 25-900 milligrams powder of Indian valerian twice a day is useful to cure delusion.
9. Vagina diseases: Boil Indian valerian, rock salt, wild egg plant, costus root and false calumba with sesamem oil. Immerse a cotton piece in this preparation and put it in the vagina, it provides relief from the vagina pain.
10. Nervousness: Taking about 250-900 milligrams powder of Indian valerian with honey twice a day is useful to cure nervousness and mentally restlessness (tiredness or fatigue) too.
11. Achrodynia: Taking about 150 milligrams Indian valerian is useful to get relief in achrodynia.
12. Hysteria: Hysteria is cured by taking about 250-900 milligrams powder of Indian valerian.
13. Senselessness caused by bleeding of the brain: Mix about 2-5 drops oil of Indian valerian with gum and take it with cinnamon decoction, it cures senselessness caused by bleeding of the brain.
14. Epilepsy: Grind about 2 grams Indian valerian with cool water and give it to the patient for one month regularly, it cures hysteria and epilepsy.
15. Thundering of body: Taking about 250-900 milligrams powder of Indian valerian with yasad ash twice a day is useful to prevent thundering of the body.
16. Fatigue: Taking 250-900 milligrams powder of Indian valerian with yasad ash twice a day is useful to end fatigue.