Indian sarsaparilla is a creeper, which is found in the states of sea bank to all hills areas in India in enough quantity. It has two kinds as- black and white. These are also known by the names of Gourisar and Kalisar. It is called Shwet saariva and Krishna saariva in Sanskrit language. Its creeper is thin, 5 to 15 feet long and spreads on earth and trees. Its black branches, which spread around, are thick as finger and brown fiber appears upon it. The leaves are like egg shape (which appear on front of each other) and 1 to 4 inches long and with lines of white color. If someone plucks its leaves, a type of milk comes out from it. Its flowers are small and white with greenness from external and purple from internal, which appear in blossom of without smell. Its five flowers with petals (which are like clove) appear in the winter season. Many little and thin pods grow in October-November month, which burst after ripening. Its root has a smell like camphor with sandal. Fragrant roots are the best for medicinal work. By plucking fresh root of creeper milk comes out from it.
Name in different languages:
English - Hemidesmus, Indian-Sarsaparilla
Hindi - Anantmool
Sanskrit - Saariva, Ananta, Gopi, Gop Kanya
Marathi - Shwet Upalsaree
Gujarati - Upalsaree, Kaardiyo, Kunder
Bengali - Shyamlata, Anantmool, Sariva
Punjabi - Anantmool
Latin - Hemidesmus Indikas
According to Ayurveda, the hemidesmus is smooth, cool in nature, heavy in digestible and bitter, sweet and spicy in taste and fragrant. It increases sperm count and normalizes vatta, pitta and kapha. It also purifies the blood and increases anti-biotic power in the body. It causes sweat and helps in urination clearly. It increases appetite and body strength. It cures skin diseases, fever and indigestion. It is also useful for the treatment of cough, bloody disorders, indigestion, inflammation, body foul smell, itching, joints pain, wound and breathing problems. It alleviates poison effects too and quenches thirst.
According to Unani, hemidesmus is cool and wet in nature. It causes sweat and purifies the blood. It increases urine quantity and ends foul smell of the body.
According to scientists, after the chemical researching of Indian-Sarsaparilla, it is found that it contains 0.22 percent flying oil, which eighty percent fragrance part is called Pairanethaksee Salicylic Aldihide. Besides it, it contains Beta Syto Sterol, Saiponin, Resin, Resin acid, Alf and Beta asirins, Lupiyol, Tannins, Resin acid, Glaikaisides, Tetrasicleek Tri spin Alcohol and Kitons in less quantity too. These elements develop skin blood arteries and make blood speed normal. The activity of this medicine excessively appears on the blood.
Structure: Its branches are round and smooth. Its leaves are directed towards (abhimukh) and dark green color of different size. The white lines are present upon its seeds. Its branch is white and fragrance.
3 to 6 grams powder of root and 5 to 10 grams paste of hemidesmus should be used.
Indian Sarsaparilla (Anantmool*) is useful in different diseases:
- Make a paste by grinding hemidesmus root with water and heat it. Headache ends by coating this paste on the forehead.
- Headache ends by taking about 6 grams hemidesmus with 5 grams china root.
2. Rickets: Mix equal quantity of powder of Indian sarsaparilla root and barbering together then store it. After that, give half spoon this powder to the suffered child twice a day to get benefit in rickets. It is useful for the health.
3. Stone and retention of urine: The patient should take one spoon powder of Indian sarsaparilla root with one cup milk twice or thrice day because it ends retention of urine and breaks stone. It is also useful to end urinary bladder pain.
4. Blood purifier: Boil 100 grams powder of Indian sarsaparilla, fifty grams aniseed and ten grams cinnamon with water and thereafter filter it. After that, take this preparation twice or thrice a day regularly to purify the blood. It cures many types of skin diseases.
5. Mouth blisters: Mix fine powder of Indian sarsaparilla root with honey and apply it on the blisters, it provides relief.
- Tying powder of Indian sarsaparilla on the affected part regularly is useful to cure wound.
- Wound is cured by coating paste of hemidesmus on the affected part.
- Boil one spoon powder of Indian sarsaparilla and five pieces of black pepper with one cup of water until remains half water then put it down and filter. This medicine should be taken on empty stomach in the morning for one week regularly because it will cure jaundice.
- Grind 2 grams bark of hemidesmus root and 11 pieces of black peppers with 25 ml water and thereafter give it to the patient to drink for 7 days regularly. It is useful to remove yellowness of the eyes and body. It also cures fever and appetite caused by jaundice.
8. Snake poison: Boil rice with water and thereafter separate water in a pot and mix one spoon powder of indian sarsaparilla root in this water. After that, give this medicine to the patient twice or thrice a day to alleviate snake poison.
- If any woman suffers from abortion again and again, she should take 1 spoon powder of Indian sarsaparilla root twice a day regularly. It will end fear of abortion consequently; a healthy and beautiful baby will take birth and.
- If any woman suffers from abortion again and again caused by syphilis or gonorrhoea, she should take 3-6 ml decoction of hemidesmus in the beginning of pregnancy. It ends fear of abortion and hereditary diseases do not occur in the baby.
10. Eye diseases:
- Grind root of Indian sarsaparilla with water and apply in the eyes as collyrium or filter ash of its leaves with the help of cloth and mix honey in this ash. After that, apply this collyrium in the eyes to cure eyes fully.
- Milk comes out by Plucking fresh and soft leaves of Indian sarsaparilla and thereafter mix this milk with honey. The eye diseases are cured by applying it in the eyes.
- Drip a decoction of Indian sarsaparilla in the eyes or mix with honey and apply it in the eyes as collyrium. It provides relief in the eyes diseases.
11. Asthma: Take four grams powder of Indian sarsaparilla root and four grams powder of malabar nut leaves with milk twice a day to get relief in all the types of breathing and vatta disorders.
12. Long hair: Alopecia is cured by taking 2 grams powder of Indian sarsaparilla root thrice a day with water regularly.
13. Teeth diseases: Pressing ground leaves of indian sarsaparilla between the teeth is useful to end teeth problems.
14. Breast purifier: Take three grams powder of Indian sarsaparilla’s root twice a day, it purifies the breast and increases breast milk too. The children, who are suffering and weak should take Indian sarsaparilla’s root powder.
15. Stomachache: Shuffle 2-3 grams root of Indian sarsaparilla with water and make the patient drink. It ends stomachache.
16. Indigestion: Take three grams powder of Indian sarsaparilla with milk twice a day to increase activity of digestive system. It also increases digestive power and ends blood disorders caused by bile.
17. Urine problems: Wrap small root of Indian sarsaparilla with banana leaf and burn in fire. When the leaf becomes burn, separate root from and grind it with toasted cumin seed and sugar. Mix this mixture with cow ghee and give it to the patient twice a day. Using this process is useful to end urine disorders and sperm disorder. Applying fine powder of hemidesmus root on the penis is useful to end the inflammation of the penis.
18. Stone: Take five grams powder of Indian sarsaparilla root with cow milk twice a day to break stone. It cures anuria-dysuria.
19. Joints pain: One should take three grams powder of Indian sarsaparilla with honey thrice a day to get relief in joints pain.
20. Blood disorders:
- Boil thirty grams ground Indian sarsaparilla with one liter water until it remains 1/8 part then mix sugar-candy in proper quantity in it. After that, take this decoction is useful to end itching, scabies, leprosy, etc. blood diseases.
- Grind 500 grams Indian sarsaparilla and soak it in 500 ml boiling water. After 2 hours, crush this mixture and filter it. After that, give fifty ml this mixture to the patient 4-5 times a day to cure the diseases of blood and skin quickly.
- Make infusion as tea of peepal bark and Indian sarsaparilla with water. This syrup should be taken to cure itching, scabies, ulcers, pimples and syphilis disorders.
- Make a decoction by boiling one spoon white cumin seed (Jeera) and one spoon Indian sarsaparilla powder with water and thereafter give it to the patient because it purifies the blood.
- 75 to 100 ml decoction of Indian sarsaparilla’s root should be taken thrice a day in the condition of ulcers, pimples, scrofula and syphilis.
- Grind one gram powder of Indian sarsaparilla root and one gram powder of barbering together and thereafter give it to the patient suffered child; it provides new life to the suffered child.
21. Inflammation: Fry powder of indian sarsaparilla with ghee and thereafter take about half to one gram this powder with five grams loaf-sugar for some days regularly. It is useful to end body inflammation caused by typhoid and small pox (Chechak).
22. Fever: Boil equal quantity of Indian sarsaparilla root, cuscus, dry ginger, black hell-bore and cyperus with water until it remains 1/8 part then put it down and make cold. After that, give this decoction to the patient to cure all the types of fevers.
23. Typhoid: To cure this disease, first of all take a betel leaf and apply eatable lime and catechu on it and thereafter put 2 grams powder of Indian sarsaparilla bark in it and take.
24. Fever caused by gas and phlegm: Make a decoction by boiling Indian sarsaparilla, small pepper, grapes, country mallow and desmodium gangeticum with water. The patient should take hot decoction to cure fever caused by gas and phlegm.
25. Baldness (Alopecia): One should take two grams powder of Indian sarsaparilla root regularly because it grows new hair on the head and white hair turns into black.
26. Bloody diarrhoea: Grind one gram indian sarsaparilla, dry ginger, gum or little quantity of opium together. After that, take prepared medicine twice a day to prevent blood diarrhoea.
27. Hematuria (Blood with urine): Taking 50 to 100 grams powder of indian-Sarsaparilla with tinospora and cumin seed reduces inflammation and cures hematuria (Blood with urine).
28. Weakness: The patient should take 20-30 ml syrup of Indian-Sarsaparilla with barbering twice a day because it ends weakness.
29. Leucorrhoea: This disease is cured by giving 50 to 100 grams powder of Indian sarsaparilla to the suffered woman with water twice a day regularly.
30. Syphilis: Take 2 to 12 milligrams powder of Indian sarsaparilla regularly to get relief in all the types of disorders caused by syphilis.
31. Green and black urine or colorful urine: If one suffers from difference colors of urine and kidneys swelling, he should take 50 to 100 grams powder of Indian sarsaparilla with tinospora and cumin seed because it provides relief.
32. Cracked lips: Apply ground root of Indian sarsaparilla on cracked lips and other affected parts of the body to stop bleeding. It provides relief in cracked lips.
- One should take 40 to 80 ml syrup or 20 to 40 ml decoction of Indian sarsaparilla thrice a day regularly in the condition of AIDS.
- Indian sarsaparilla is also known by the names of Kapoori, Saalsa, etc. This is the best blood purifier. Taking powder of Indian sarsaparilla increases double or four folds quantity of urine. Excessive quantity of urine is not harmful for the body. It increases life-power and provides strength to the body. Indian sarsaparilla helps in urination clearly and purifies the blood. It makes the skin clean and purifies the woman breast. It increases body strength and is useful to end inflammation. Fifty milligrams powder of it should be taken in the morning regularly because it cures gonorrhoea.
- Take about ¼ grams Indian sarsaparilla regularly to cure anorexia caused by rheumatism.
- In the condition of rheumatism, the patient should take 40 grams shuffled root of Indian sarsaparilla twice a day because it helps to cure rheumatism.
35. Scrofula: Grind Indian sarsaparilla and barbering together and thereafter boil it with water to make decoction. Give this decoction to the patient and apply it on the tumour too. It is useful to cure scrofula.