Indian plum tree is found easily everywhere. It is a thorny tree. Its fruit is equal to betel-nut. There are many kinds of Indian plum as- Jungle Plum, Jhar Plum and Pevandi Plum. Its shellac (lakh) is very good. The wood of its tree is used for making carts and ploughs. Dry leaves of Indian plum tree are very useful for animals. There is a small kind of Indian plum which is called “Borti” in Maharashtra.
Indian plum’s tree: Its tree is cool, dry and bitter. It eliminates bile and phlegm disorders.
Plum: Its fruits are sweet, sour and vapid.
Ripe Indian plum: It is sweet, sour, hot, small and peptic. It increases phlegm and appetite. It is very useful in such diseases as diarrhoea, blood disorders, loose motions and diseases pertaining to rickets.
Applying the paste of Indian plum leaves on the body reduces fever and burning sensation. Its bark’s paste removes the marks of chicken pox. Applying its fruit’s marrow in the eyes is good remedy to cure all the eyes diseases.
Big Indian plum: It is sweet, cool, tasty, digestible and greasy as well as creates constipation. Its use reduces fatness. It increases the sperm count and stops the stool. Its use becomes the cause of flatulence. It ends the burning sensation and swelling. It eliminates gas and bile disorders. It also ends exhaustation.
Dry Indian plum: It is small and increases appetite. It eliminates phlegm, gas and bile disorders. It quenches thirst and ends the exhaustation.
Small Indian plum: It is sweet and sour. Ripe small plum is greasy and tasty. It kills worms.
Marrow of plum: The pulp of Indian plum is sweet and enhances power. It is useful to provide relief in cough, asthma, vomiting and burning sensation. It quenches thirst and eliminates gas and bile disorders.
Name in different languages:
Hindi : Ber
English : Jujube, Indian Plum
Sanskrit : Badri
Gujarati : Bordi
Marathi : Bor
Bengali : Kul, Bogri
Telugu : Reguchettu
Tamil : Eliendae or Kallari
Malayalam : Elanta or Kol
Persian : Kunar
Arabic : Siderbank
Latin : Zizyphus jujube
Precaution: Plum is a general fruit. Its excessive use becomes the cause of cough. Raw plum should never be eaten.
Useful in different diseases:
1. A pimple because of uprooting hair (Baltod): Grind the leaves of plum tree and apply it on the affected portion. Its use reduces the pain caused by uprooting hair.
- Suck the root of plum tree or toast plum leaves and take with rock salt. Its use provides relief.
- Sucking the bark of plum tree is beneficial in hoarseness. Its use makes the voice clear within 2-3 days.
3. Burning sensation during fever:
- Wash small red plum and grind those plums in there is no hole. Mix 20 grams ground plum in half liter water and prepare a decoction by boiling. Mix sugar-candy in it after filtering and cooling. Drinking this decoction abates the temperature and burning sensation caused by fever.
- Boil 20 grams dry or fresh Chana plum (chana ber) in 16 folds water and boil it to prepare a decoction until it remains one fourth. Filter it through cloth and mix a little sugar in it. Drinking this decoction abates burning sensation during fever, restlessness and fever caused by bile. This decoction is also useful in malarial fever and to quenches the thirst.
- Grind leaves of plum tree with sour water (kanji) and apply its foams and ground paste on the affected part. Its use provides relief in fever.
4. Watery eyes: Grind plum seeds with water and apply it in the eyes twice a day for 1-2 months. Its use stops the water blowing from the eyes.
5. Burning sensation in any body organ: Applying ground leaves of plum tree on the affected part ends the burning sensation of any body organ.
6. Anuria and dysuria: Grind soft leaves of plum tree with cumin seeds. Taking this mixture passes urine out properly.
7. Pimples around the neck: Grind the bark of jungle plum tree and take it twice a day. Its use provides relief.
8. Blood diarrhoea:
- Grind the bark of Indian plum tree with milk. Taking this mixture mixing with honey is beneficial in blood diarrhoea.
- Mix equal quantity of plum root and oil together. This mixture should be taken with the milk of cow or goat. Its use provides relief in blood diarrhoea.
- Eating Indian plum is beneficial in blood diarrhoea and intestines wounds.
9. Chest pain and Tuberculosis: Grind 20 grams bark of plum tree or bark of pipal tree with water and mix 4 folds pumpkin juice in it. Giving this mixture to the patient provides relief in tuberculosis and pain of the chest.
10. Scorpion poison:
- Grind the leaves of plum tree and leaves of udumbar into fine paste. Tying this mixture on the affected part provides quick relief.
- Grind equal quantity of plum seeds and seeds of bastard teak with the milk of mudar for 6 hours to prepare a paste. Applying this paste on the affected portion alleviates the poisoning.
- Mix the kernels of plum stones, sprouts of banyan tree, decoction of liquorice root (madhuyashtika), honey and sugar together. The use of this mixture checks vomiting soon.
- Taking 1 gram powder of plum tree root’s bark with rice water twice a day provides relief in vomiting.
12. Loose motions:
- Taking the powder of plum leaves with whey stops loose motions.
- Make a decoction by boiling the bark of plum tree and store it. Drinking 20 to 40 ml this decoction provides relief in loose motions.
- Eating raw plum provides relief.
- Taking half spoon ground leaves of Indian plum tree ground with a few kernels of mango stone provides relief.
13. Leucorrhoea and metrorrhagia:
- Take 5 grams powder of plum tree’s bark with jiggery (gur) twice a day to get rid of leucorrhoea and blood leucorrhoea. Taking the powder of Chana plum’s (chana ber) bark with jiggery (gur) or honey provides relief in leucorrhoea and metrorrhagia.
- Taking 1-3 grams powder of plum tree’s bark with jiggery (gur) twice a day provides relief in white of blood leucorrhea.
- Taking the powder of Indian plum with jiggery (gur) provides relief.
- Grind 10 grams leaves of plum tree, 5 seeds of black pepper and 20 grams sugar-candy together. Mix 100 ml water in the above preparation. Drinking this water provides relief in blood leucorrhoea.
15. Retention of urine: Grind the soft leaves of plum tree and cumin seeds with water. Prepare syrup with the above mixture like Indian hemp (bhang) and filter it through a cloth. Taking this preparation provides relief in retention of urine caused by heat. Its use passes urine out easily.
16. Chicken pox:
- Taking the juice of plum leaves with buffalo’s milk reduces the velocity of chicken pox. Taking 6 grams powder of plum leaves with 2 grams jiggery (gur) cures this disease named chicken pox within 2-3 days.
- Make a decoction by boiling the bark and leaves of plum tree and mix in whey. Give this decoction to animals for drinking to cure their chicken pox.
17. Mouth diseases: Gargling with the decoction of plum tree’s leaves 2-3 times a day ends mouth blisters. Regularly gargling with the decoction of bark and leaves of plum tree removes mouth blisters and gums’ looseness caused by taking any medicine like camphor, etc. Its use checks the discharge of saliva from the mouth.
18. Boils: Heat ground leaves of Indian plum’s tree. Tie this pate with the bandage on the boils but keeps on changing it again and again. Its use maturates the boils and removes them soon after bursting.
19. Chronic cough: Grind about 12 to 24 grams bark of plum tree and fry it with ghee. Mix rock salt in it and take thrice a day. Its use provides relief.
20. Conjunctivitis: Filter the infusion of plum’s stone properly and drop it in the eyes. Its use provides relief in eyes pain and conjunctivitis.
21. Fever caused by small pox: Taking the powder of Indian plum with jiggery (gur) gets rid of all the types of chicken pox caused by vatta, pitta after maturating.
22. Breathing problems or Asthma:
- Boil 10-15 leaves of plum tree and 8-10 nutmeg leaves in half cup of water and filter it. Drinking this water regularly is good remedy of asthma.
- Boil the leaves of plum tree and nutmeg leaves 5 grams each in one cup of water and filter it. Drinking this water twice a day provides relief to the patient of asthma.
23. Eyes pain: Grind the stones of plum properly and filter it. Dropping this preparation in eyes provides relief in eyes’ pain and redness.
- Pluck fresh leaves of plum tree and apply the juice of its stalks on the stye. Its use provides relief.
- Applying the ground leaves of plum tree on the stye provides relief.
- Drinking the decoction of plum tree’s bark provides relief in fever.
- Applying the juice of medium size leaves of plum tree ends the inflammation caused by fever.
- Grind pure red arsenic with water and apply it on the leaves of Indian plum after that dry these leaves. Taking these leaves stops cough.
- Taking 250 grams gum of plum tree with pudding (halwa) of jiggery (gur) regularly for 7 days is good remedy of cough.
27. Corneal ulcer: Applying ground stone of Indian plum in the eyes like collyrium to get rid of corneal ulcer and stop blowing water from the eyes.
28. Over eating:
- Make the powder by grinding plum stones. Taking 3 grams this powder with fresh water twice a day ends the disease named over eating.
- Grind 20 grams seeds of plum stones with water. Taking this mixture is a good remedy of over eating.
- Taking 0.3 gram powder of plum stone twice a day is also beneficial in this disease.
- Grind the kernels of plum stone or bark of plum tree with water. Taking this mixture is a good remedy of over eating.
29. Stomatitis: Make a decoction by boiling 50 grams leaves of plum tree in 300 ml water. Gargling with this decoction is an efficacious medicine to remove mouth blisters and pimples.
30. Blood vomiting: Mix plum kernels in syrup of pear and drink to check blood vomiting.
- Taking equal quantity powder of plum seed’s kernels, toasted rice and ash of collyrium provides relief in hiccup.
- Taking about 120 to 360 milligrams powder of plum stone twice a day provides relief.
32. Amoebic dysentery: Make fine powder by grinding equal quantity of dried plum, old jiggery (gur) and black pepper together. Take 10 grams this powder provides relief in amoebic dysentery.
33. Diarrhoea: Taking 3 to 6 grams pulp of beel fruit with 100 to 250 ml whey 3-4 times a day cures diarrhoea.
34. Blood amoebic dysentery:
- Grind 1 gram Indian plum, cabbage with its stalks and sugar-candy together. Taking this mixture on empty stomach once a day provides relief.
- Mix the leaves of plum tree, woodfordia flouribunda, juice of wood apple, lodh and honey together. Taking this mixture with curd stops blood amoebic dysentery.
35. Wound: Apply the powder of plum tree’s bark on the chronic wounds. Its use heals up the wounds.
36. Obesity: Boil the leaves of plum tree in water for a long time to prepare a decoction. Drinking this decoction regularly reduces obesity.
37. Sperm disability: Take the kernels of plum seeds with jiggery (gur). Its use thickens the sperm and increases its quantity.
38. Epistaxis (nose bleeding): Grind the leaves of plum tree without water and apply it on the head; it prevents epistaxis.
39. Cholera: Make a decoction by boiling beel seeds, dry ginger and nutmeg together. Drinking this decoction daily is beneficial in cholera.
40. Boil (head boil): Apply the powder of plum tree’s bark on boils. Its use heals up the wounds quickly.
41. Achrodynia (Spasm of the hands and feet):
- Apply ground leaves of plum tree on the hands and feet. Its use reduces the burning sensation of the hands and feet. It also reduces excessive sweating.
- Excess sweating: Applying the ground leaves of plum tree on the hands and feet reduces excessive sweating on the hands and feet.
- Burn the soft leaves of plum tree and garlic flakes together and mix ghee in it. Apply this mixture on the ringworms to remove them.
- Erysipelas: If the patient has been suffering from pimples in and out of the nose, apply the pulp of Indian plum on pimples or smell Indian plum. Its use provides relief.
- Grind the soft leaves of Indian plum tree with curd and apply it on burnt portion. Its use removes the mark appeared by burning.
- Apply ground sesame on burnt area whether by fire or hot water. Its use will provides relief.
44. Body strength: Dry about 15 grams peel of Indian plum in the shadow. Make the powder by grinding dried peels of plum, long pepper, black pepper, dry ginger and triphala together. Mix about 75 grams ground gum guggul in this powder. Taking 10 grams of this powder with water daily in the morning provides strength to the body and cures all the diseases.
45. Medicine of infants: Make the powder by grinding the leaves of plum tree, leaves of Indian sorrel (chaungrae), garden nightshade leaves and wood apple leaves together. Apply this powder on the child’s head to get relief in vomiting and diarrhoea.
46. Throat diseases:
- Boil the leaves of Indian plum tree in water and filter it. Mix a little rock salt in this water and drink. Its use provides relief.
- Toast the leaves of Indian plum tree and mix rock salt in this paste. Taking this preparation is an efficacious medicine to get relief in hoarseness. Its use makes the voice clear.