Indian mustard is cultivated all over India. It is used as spice in all countries of the world. There are three kinds of Indian mustard- white, black and red. White Indian mustard seeds are bigger than red. Seeds of savage Indian mustard are like Indian mustard but little bigger than them.
Red and white Indian mustard:
It is anti-phlegmatic and anti-bilious. It is pungen and hot and dry in nature. It creates blood disorder due to bile. Its use enhances appetite. It destroys stomach worms and ends itching and leprosy. Black Indian mustard also has similar qualities but it is more pungent. Cooked vegetable of Indian mustard leaves (saag) is hot in nature and increases appetite and bile. It eliminates stomach gas, phlegm, stomach worms and cures throat diseases. Its cooked vegetable is useful for the bilious natured persons in the summer season.
Excessive use of Indian mustard may be the cause of intoxication. Its use softens the stomach so much that a patient may feel no pain when stomach is touched. It brings stomach worms out, purifies the blood and ends cold and gas problems.
Note: Indian mustard is hot in nature and brings sweat. The skin becomes red by applying its paste. Taking Indian mustard in little quantity relieves a person from burning sensation. It increases digestion power and makes the body active but its excessive use creates vomiting. Indian mustard is hot natured. It should be used in proper quantity as a spice. There is a doubt of derangement in the stomach and intestines if it is taken in excessive quantity.
Structure: The height of Indian mustard plant is 60 to 90 centimeter. Its leaves are big and 30 centimeter long. Sometimes, leaves are small also. Indian mustard is sown with Rabi crops. Its flowers are bright with yellow colour. Its pod is 1-2 inches long, suppressed from upwards to downwards and small and long at the top. Its seeds are light, red-brown and smaller than mustard.
Name in different languages:
English - Indian mustard
Hindi - Rae
Sanskrit - ajika, Raji, Aasuri, Tikshngandha
Gujarati - Rae
Marathi - Mohri
Bengali - Rae, Sarisa
Telugu - Abalu
Arabic - Khadral, Kubra
Parsian - sharp
Qualities: Indian mustard is pungent and hot in nature. It brings phlegm out and it is anti-bilious. Its use ends burning sensation, leprosy and itching. It destroys stomach worms and increases blood bile. Blood and bile disorders produce by its use.
Note: Taking Indian mustard in little quantity increases appetite and digestion power. Its use brings sweat. Its excessive use may be the cause of vomiting. In Ayurveda medical science, Indian mustard paste is very famous.
Cooked vegetable of Indian mustard leaves: Its leaves’ saag (vegetable) is spicy, hot and tasty. It strengthens the body. It creates bile. Indian mustard is anti Vaata (wind), Kapha (phlegm) and cures throat diseases. Its use destroys stomach worms also.
Chemical Structure: Indian mustard seeds contain myrosin, sinigrin, sinpeen prabharti and oil.
Useful in different diseases:
1. Illusion due to collapsing fever: In this condition apply its paste on the patient’s throat. When skin may change into red colour then remove this paste and apply ghee and oil on the throat.
2. Tumour: If there is a tumour in any body organ of the patient, prepare paste by mixing Indian mustard and black-pepper powder with ghee. Tumor’s growth can be checked by applying this paste. Grind jiggery, Indian bdellium and Indian mustard together into fine powder and prepare paste by mixing water. For suppurating tumour tie this paste. Tumour will dissolve after suppuration.
3. Acute otitis media (Swelling nearby ear): Swelling comes near about the root of the ear if there is pus in the ear or the patient has been suffering from collapsing fever. Mix Indian mustard flour with mustard oil or castor oil. Blood splits by applying this paste.
4. Eye lids’ pimple: If one suffers from pimples upon the eyelids, prepare paste by mixing ghee with the powder of Indian mustard. This paste provides a lot of relief to the patient.
5. Ulcer in the nose (Sinus headache): Prepare a paste by mixing 10 grams Indian mustard flour, 1.5 grams camphor and 100 grams ghee together. Apply this paste on the ulcer. Sores in the nose recover because phlegm and pus come out by sneezes. Prepare a paste by mixing ghee with camphor and catechu. Sore fills by its apploication.
6. Hair fall: Washing head by Indian mustard fant (essence obtained by filtered infusion) prevents hair fall. It removes boils and pimples as well as itching. It also destroys lice.
7. Head ache: Apply Indian mustard paste upon the forehead. Its use provides a lot of relief in headache.
8. Heart diseases: If one suffers from such symptoms as looseness or trembling of the heart, restlessness or sensation of weakness. Rub Indian mustard powder on the patient’s hands and feet. Its use provides relief to the patient.
- In this disease when a patient suffers from vomiting and loose motions, he should apply Indian mustard paste. Vomiting and loose motions stop by doing this.
- In the preliminary stage of cholera mix 1 gram Indian mustard with sugar. This mixture provides relief to the patient.
- Indian mustard’s paste stops all the types of vomiting and loose motions.
10. Piles: If the patient feels itching in the warts of piles and they appear fat and painless while touching. The patient feels good if warts are touched. Apply Indian mustard oil on the warts. Warts of the piles are faded by its use.
11. Stomach pain and indigestion: Take 1 to 2 grams powder of Indian mustard with sugar. After that drink half glass of water.
12. Flatulence: Take 2 grams Indian mustard mixing with sugar. After that mix half gram to 1 gram lime into half glass of water and give to the patient to drink. The patient of flatulence gets a lot of relief if he follows these formulae.
13. Amenorrhea: In this disease if a woman feels pain during menstrual excretion or her bleeding is abnormal. Mix powder of Indian mustard in lukewarm water and say to the woman to sit in this water. The loin of woman should sink in the water. The woman gets relief.
14. Uterus’ pain: Apply Indian mustard paste below the naval or on the waist if a woman suffers from uterus’ pain or intense pain in the uterus. Regular use of this paste provides relief to the woman.
15. Uterus’ cancer: If there is cancer in the uterus, wash it with Indian mustard lukewarm water with the help of syringe two or three times a week. Immerse 25 grams Indian mustard in a cup of cold water and prepare fine paste by crushing it. Mix this paste into 750 ml lukewarm water.
16. Phlegmatic disorder: When a patient suffers from thick phlegm while coughing which does not come out easily, prepare a powder by mixing half gram Indian mustard with 1\4 gram rock salt and sugar candy together. Phlegm becomes dilute and comes out easily by giving it to the patient twice a day.
17. Sciatica: Apply Indian mustard paste upon the pain affected area. Its use provides relief in sciatica pain.
18. Joints pain or swelling: If there is pain or swelling in joints due to gonorrhea and numbness in any organ due to paralysis, mix camphor in Indian mustard paste and apply on the affected area. Its use provides a lot of relief to the patient.
19. Gout pain:
- Grind Indian mustard and sugar. Put this paste upon a band-aid and tie it on the affected area. The patient gets a lot of relief by doing this.
- If the patient has been suffering from slight pain for some days constantly, grind Indian mustard and peel of horse radish tree with whey into fine paste. Apply this paste lightly on the pain affected area. Its use provides relief.
20. Inner pangs or swelling: Indian mustard paste is useful in the treatment of swelling and burning sensation inside the body. Its paste is very useful in the treatment of lungs swelling, liver swelling, trachea swelling (breathing pipe) and head diseases with swelling (brain). Indian mustard paste is applied on the hands or feet and over the heart in the weakness of heart.
21. Thorn: If a thorn or any metal particle inserts into skin, prepare a paste by mixing ghee and honey with Indian mustard flour. Thorn or particle comes at the bottom side of the skin by applying this paste.
- Prepare a paste by mixing Indian mustard flour with eight fold cow ghee. Marks of leprosy are removed by applying it.
- Indian mustard paste is also useful for the treatment of eczema, ringworm, itching, etc.
23. Otorrhoea or sore:
- Boil 100 ml Indian mustard oil properly. When it begins boiling, stop the stove and cool it. Add Indian mustard or garlic each 10 grams and camphor 1.5 grams in this oil. Filter and keep it into a bottle after cooling well. Pour 4-5 drops ino ear. Its use cures otorrhoea and fills the sore of ear.
- If there are worms in the sore or boils, prepare paste by mixing honey with 24 grams Indian mustard powder. All the worms are destroyed by applying this paste.
- If swelling comes in hand or feet due to an accident and the patient feels pain, rub Indian mustard mixture upon the castor leaf. Heat it a little and tie on the affected portion. Swelling removes by its use.
- Prepare a paste by grinding Indian mustard or salt with water. Apply it on the affected portion. Its use reduces swelling.
25. Poison effect:
- If a person becomes unconscious due to opium or snake biting, apply Indian mustard paste on the patient armpit, chest, thighs and other portions. Unconsciousness breaks by its use. This paste should be kept on the affected portion maximum for one hour. Grind 10 grams Indian mustard powder with cold water and give it to the patient to drink. By taking this mixture the patient vomits the poison out soon.
- If a person becomes unconscious because of fever or Cholera, apply Indian mustard paste on his armpit, chest and thighs. Its use provides relief to the patient.
26. Method of preparing paste:
- Always prepare Indian mustard paste with cold water. Don’t apply this paste directly upon the skin, it may be harmful. Remove this paste when skin may become red. Mop well to the affected portion and apply ghee or oil there. Grind Indian mustard with cold water into fine paste. Apply a thin layer of this paste upon a clean muslin cloth and put it on the patient’s affected organ.
- For internally use take Indian mustard without peels. Shake well Indian mustard into little water. Grind Indian mustard and desiccate after peeling. Grind finely desiccated Indian mustard and put this flour in a bottle.
27. Vatta disorder: Eat pooris or pakodas prepared in Indian mustard oil. Massage the body with Indian mustard oil and take a bath in lukewarm water. Note: Don’t massage with its oil on the head, eyes and other soft organs.
28. Indian mustard paste:
- To prepare a packet (pottly) for a youth person shuffle one gram Indian mustard and 3 grams powder of linseed with cold water.
- For children take one gram Indian mustard powder and 10-15 grams powder of linseed.
- Remove the packet or paste after 10, 20 or 30 minutes when skin may become red.Take 1 gram Indian mustard powder and three grams flour of wheat or rice. Mix this mixture with cold water and use according to need.
- Use Indian mustard paste by the help of a cloth.
29. Phlegmatic fever: If a patient suffers from such symptoms as white coated tongue, no appetite or thirst along with low fever, give half gram Indian mustard flour with honey to lick. Its use provides a lot of relief.
30. Indigestion: Stomach pain ends by swelling Indian mustard after the application of Indian mustard oil. Besides it, Stomach pain and indigestion end by taking 3 grams Indian mustard powder with water.
31. Dead embryo: Give 3 grams mixture of Indian mustard and asafetida with starch to the patient. It eliminates the dead embryo from the womb.
32. Typhoid: If body becomes cold in typhoid, massage with Indian mustard oil to get warmth. If feet become cold in coryza, its massage is useful.
33. Gas disease: Indian mustard oil massage provides relief in the gas disease.
34. Tooth ache: Mix Indian mustard in boiled water and gargle twice or thrice a day. Gargling with this water provides relief in tooth ache.
35. Gas disease: Take 4 grams ground Indian mustard and jiggery with lukewarm water twice a day. Its use provides relief in gas diseases.
36. Night blindness: Grind one gram Indian mustard and mix it in 25 ml water. Drip its 2 drops into the nostrils after filtering before sun rising. Its use provides relief to the patient.
37. Mouth taste: Boil ten grams Indian mustard in little water. Gargle with this water twice a day regularly. Its use recovers mouth taste.
38. Treatment of Sterility: If a woman suffers from pain in the calves, it indicates that there is much coldness in her uterus. Grind Indian mustard, bay berry, myrolealans, beleric myrabalans each 5 grams and keep after filtering. Mix one gram medicine in soap water. Drip some drops of this preparation on a cotton piece and put it at the mouth of uterus. It ends sterility.
- Grind Indian mustard with water and apply this paste on the stomach. It prevents vomiting.
- Spread a wet muslin cloth upon the stomach. Apply Indian mustard paste upon the cloth. The patient should remain in this condition about 15 minutes and after that the cloth should be removed.
40. Emetics (Vomiting medicines): Dissolve 4 to 8 grams ground Indian mustard with water. Give it to the patient to drink. It starts vomiting. The patient does not feel tiredness. It is the main quality of this medicine.
- Mix half gram Indian mustard and 1 gram sugar together. Taking it with little water cures catarrh.
- A patient of catarrh gets a lot of relief by rubbing mustard oil on the nose and feet or by dripping its oil into the nose.
- Mix Indian Indian mustard with honey and eat or smell in the summer season. Catarrh cures by doing this.
- Boil 10 grams Indian mustard in 250 ml water. Cool and take it. It provides relief in all the types of hiccup.
- Boil 5 grams ground Indian mustard in 50 ml water. Its use is useful in hiccup.
- Boil 10 grams Indian mustard in 100 ml water. Cool and filter it. Its use stops hiccup.
- Boil 10-15 grams Indian mustard in 250 ml water. Filter and take it like tea. Its use ends all the kinds of hiccup.
- Boil 60 grams ground Indian mustard in 500 ml water until it remains 1\4, mix rock salt (saindha namak) according to taste. Give it to the patient at every hour. Its use stops hiccup.
- Boil 20 grams Indian mustard in 200 ml water and filter it. Hiccup stops by taking it in little quantity.
- Boil 10 grams Indian mustard in 250 ml water and filter it. Give this lukewarm mixture to the patient. All kinds of hiccup stops by taking it.
43. Amenorrhea: Boil 4 spoons ground Indian mustard in two glasses of water and filter it. Wet a cloth in this mixture and foment to the womb. Doing so menstrual excretion comes properly and ends pain during this period.
44. Disorder in menstrual excretion: Take 2 grams ground Indian mustard before meal regularly if there is any disorder in menstrual excretion. Its use provides relief to the lady.
45. Problems concerning to menstrual excretion: Grind Indian mustard, wood of Indian Kino tree, celastrus and sweet flag root each 10 grams and prepare powder. Take 3 grams this powder twice a day. Its use ends the problems of menses and normalizes menstrual excretion.
46. Deafness: Warm Indian mustard oil. Deafness is cured by dripping 2-2 drops of this oil into the ear.
47. Blood amoebic dysentery: Taking three grams Indian mustard provides relief to the patient.
- Eating Indian mustard powder cures constipation and indigestion.
- Mix 1 spoon Indian mustard and half spoon fenugreek together. Taking it with water provides relief to the patient of dyspepsia.
- Drinking ground Indian mustard provides relief in indigestion.
49. Sprain: Grind Indian mustard with water and apply it on the affected part. It provides relief in sprain.
50. Tumour: Grind Indian mustard with hot water and apply this paste on the tumour. It provides relief to the patient.
51. Stomach worms: Grind Indian mustard and prepare fine powder. Mix 1 spoon this powder in 100 ml cow urine and take it twice a day. It kills stomach worms.
52. Hemi crania (Migraine): Grind Indian mustard and prepare paste. Apply this paste on the temple. It cures Hemi crania surely.
53. Sperm disease: Grind Indian mustard and clove 5 grams each and 10 grams cinnamon. Sperm disease is cured by taking one gram this powder twice a day.
54. Sticking blood or milk in the stomach: Prepare a paste by grinding Indian mustard with 10 ml water. Take it twice a day mixing with one cup of water. It provides relief in this disease.
55. Stomach ach:
- Apply a paste prepared by grinding Indian mustard on the stomach. Its use provides relief in stomach ache and vomiting.
- Grind Indian mustard with water to prepare paste. Apply it upon the stomach and wrap a cloth over it. It relieves in stomach pain.
56. Unconsciousness: Unconsciousness breaks by smelling ground Indian mustard.
57. Bed wetting: Give 0.12 grams Indian mustard powder with water to the child who is the victim of bed wetting. Its use cures this disease.
58. Retention of urine: Grind Indian mustard and nitre each 1 gram and mix two grams sugar in it. Give 2 grams this preparation to the patient at the regular intervals of two hours. Its use cures this disease.
59. Eczema: Grind Indian mustard with vinegar and apply. Its use provides relief in the disease eczema.
60. Swelling of heart’s external covering: Apply ground Indian mustard upon the chest. This paste provides relief in the swelling of external covering of the heart.
61. Epilepsy: Grind Indian mustard and give it to the patients. It cures epilepsy.
62. Lips: Grind Indian mustard and pyllitory root each 10 grams. Apply it on the lips three times a day after filtering. White lips become red within some days.
63. Liver problems of Children: Grind Indian mustard at a stone and apply this warm paste. Its use provides relief.
64. Fault in the penis: Filter ground Indian mustard through a cloth and mix staff tree oil in it. Massage penis with this paste. All faults of the penis end by its use. Don’t massage the frontal portion of the penis.
65. Headache: Grind Indian mustard with jangli pigeon dung. Rubbing this paste on the forehead stops headache.
66. Chordee: Soak 20 grams Indian mustard in 200 ml water for 2-3 hour. Wash penis with this water. Its use provides relief. Don’t wash frontal portion of the penis.
67. Neck pain: Mix Indian mustard and mustard oil each 10 gram. Massage it on neck. It provides relief in neck pain.
68. Throat disease: Grind Indian mustard and nigella each in equal quantity. Leech stuck in the throat comes out by smelling this paste.