INDIAN COLOCYNTH (BITTER-APPLE)
Indian colocynth is a type of creeper which is found in sandy areas all over India. It is grown in the fields. There are three kinds of Indian colocynth- first is small bitter-gourd, second Bitter-apple and third Red bitter-gourd. Each Indian colocynth has about 50 to 100 fruits.
Name in different languages:
English : Indian colocynth, Bitter-apple
Hindi : Endrayan
Sanskrit : Endravaruni, Vishala, Mahaphala
Gujrati : Endravan
Marathi : Endrayan, Endrdaphal
Bengali : Rakhalasha
Arabic : Enjal, Alakam
Persian : Kharbuj-a-talkh
Telugu : Eatipuchha
1. Small bitter-gourd: Small bitter-gourd is known as Endri, Chitra, Gavakshi and Endravaruni in Sanskrit. The leaves of small bitter-gourd are divided and its stalks have tiny pores (rom). Its flowers and a long yarn grow near the stalks of leaves. Its creeper spreads easily on the whole tree with help of this yarn. The flowers of small bitter-gourd are round, yellow and in the bell shape. Its male and female flowers grow separately.
2. Bitter-apple: Bitter-apple is called Mahaphala and Vishala in Sanskrit. Its creeper is bigger than the others. Its leaves are divided into many parts like water-melon. Its flowers are yellow. Its fruits are 4 to 12 centimeters long and round. The small fruit of bitter-apple is covered with hair (rom). Its raw fruits have some white lines which seem completely after ripening. Its ripe fruits are blue and green. The pulp of bitter-apple fruit is red. Its seeds are yellow and black.
3. Red bitter-gourd: The creeper of red bitter-gourd is like the bitter-apple. Its flowers are white and ripe fruits are red like lemon.
Chemical structure: The bud of Indian colocynth contains Colocynthin, Pantene, gum, ash, Colocinthtin and a substance like gum. Its seeds contain stable oil, albumin and 3 percent ash.
Quality: Indian colocynth is purgative and alleviates poisoning. It eliminates bile, gas trouble and phlegm. It is useful for the treatment of jaundice, spleen problems, stomach diseases, asthma, cough, white flecks, tumours, wounds, spermatorrhoea and scrofula. Both Indian colocynths (small bitter-gourd and bitter-apple) have these qualities.
Precautions: Indian colocynth should be taken very carefully because of taking it’s over quantity or alone causes stomach gripping and symptoms like poison.
Note: Indian colocynth should not be given to the pregnant women, children and weak persons or should be given carefully.
Fruits powder : 125 to 500 milligrams
Root powder : 1 to 3 grams
Useful in different diseases:
1. Black hair:
- Mix oil of Indian colocynth’s seeds with equal quantity of coconut oil. After that, apply this oil in the hair, it makes hair black.
- Taking 3 to 5 grams powder of Indian colocynth’s root with cow milk makes hair black. In abstinence, only milk should be drunk during this process.
- Applying oil of Indian colocynth’s seeds on the baldhead grows black hair.
- Apply oil of Indian colocynth on the head, it makes hair black.
2. Deafness: Boil ripe fruit or fruit peels of Indian colocynth with oil and filter it. Drinking this preparation cures deafness.
3. Tooth germs: Burn ripe fruit of Indian colocynth and give its smoke in the tooth, it destroys tooth germs.
4. Epilepsy: Dropping powder of Indian colocynth’s root in the nose thrice a day cures epilepsy.
5. Cough: Make a hole in fruit of Indian colocynth and fill black pepper in this then close this hole and put in the sunshine or near by fire on the earth for some days. Taking seeds of black pepper from this hole with honey and long pepper regularly for one week provides relief.
6. Breast swelling: Grind root of Indian colocynth plant and apply it on the breast, it provides relief.
7. Stomach pain:
- Eating jam of Indian colocynth cures all the diseases of the stomach.
- Fill black salt and caraway in the fruit of Indian colocynth and dry it in the sun. After that, take this caraway with warm water, it provides relief from stomach pain during loose motions.
8. Cholera: Taking 5 grams pulp of Indian colocynth’s fresh fruit with warm water or its 2 to 5 grams dry pulp with caraway provides relief.
- Grind colocynth root with water and filter it. Anuria-dysuria is cured by drinking 5-10 ml this filtered water.
- Boil 10-20 grams root of red colocynth, turmeric, bark of myrabalan chebulie, beleric myrabalan and Indian gooxberry with 160 ml water until it remains ¼ parts then mix honey in it. Anuria-dysuria is cured by taking this decoction twice a day.
10. Retention of menses:
- Grind 5 grams colocynth seeds and 5 pieces of black pepper together thereafter make decoction by boiling this mixture with 200 ml water. Filter this decoction and give it to the suffered woman. It makes menses normal.
- Putting root of colocynth in the vagina provides relief in vagina pain and makes menses normal.
11. Intestines worms: Make warm pulp of colocynth fruit and tie it on the stomach, it destroys all the types of intestines worms.
12. Purgative: Boil pulp of colocynth fruit with water and filter it. Make this prepare dark and prepare tablets equal of gram from it. Giving 1-2 tablets to the patient with cold water helps to discharge stool easily in the morning.
- Make empty fruit of colocynth after separating pulp and seeds from it and fill goat milk in peel cup and store at overnight. In the next morning, mix some sugar in this milk and give to the patient to take, it cures dropsy. Decoction of root and pulp of fruit of colocynth are also useful in the case of dropsy, but it’s over quantity is harmful.
- Giving 1-3 grams powder of colocynth root to the patient with dry ginger and jiggery twice a day provides relief in dropsy. Keep attention that over quantity of it works as poison, which is provides harm.
- If someone suffers from stomach enlargement due to liver enlargement, he should take colocynth, because it will provide benefit.
- Dropsy ends by taking powder of bark of colocynth root with rock salt.
- Cook 100 grams colocynth root with 500 ml castor oil until it remains some oil then put it down. Syphilis is cured by taking 15 ml this oil with cow milk twice a day.
- Boil pieces of colocynth root with 5 folds water until it remains 1/3 parts then filter it and mix equal quantity of ground sugar in this decoction. Giving this preparation to the patient is useful to end syphilis and vatta disorders.
15. Easy delivery:
- Mix ground root of colocynth with ghee and rub it on the vagina because it makes delivery easy.
- Immerse cotton piece in juice of colocynth fruit and put it in the vagina to make delivery easy.
- Mix root of colocynth with ghee after grinding fine and put it in the vagina because it makes delivery easy.
- Grind colocynth root with vinegar and apply it on the affected part after making warm, it helps to end swelling.
- If someone suffers from body swelling, grind colocynth root with vinegar and after that coat it on the body. It ends swelling.
- Make a decoction by boiling 50 grams coriander with 200 ml water thereafter mix ground fine powder of colocynth in this decoction. Body swelling ends by coating this medicine on the body.
17. Knee pain due to gas trouble:
- Mix equal quantity of powder of colocynth root and long pepper with jiggery and give 10 grams this medicine to the patient regularly, it provides relief in above symptom.
- Grind 10 grams turmeric, black salt and bark of big hutleena with 500 ml juice of colocynth pulp until it turns into dry then prepare tablets equal of ¼ grams from it. Taking one tablet with milk twice a day regularly ends swelling and pain within some days.
18. Conceive: Grind colocynth root with beel leaves and give 10-20 grams it to the suffered woman twice a day regularly, it exists embryo in the uterus.
19. Scorpion poison: Giving 6 grams pulp of colocynth fruit to the patient alleviates snack poison.
20. Snack bite: Put 3 grams powder of big colocynth root in betel leaf and give it to the patient, it provides relief in snack bite.
21. Rickets: Mix one gram powder of colocynth root with 250 mg rock salt and give it to the suffered child with lukewarm water thrice a day, it provides relief in rickets.
22. Ears wound: Grind fruit of red colocynth and make warm it with coconut oil. After that, apply it on the affected part, it cures wound after cleaning.
- Boil fruit juice or root bark of colocynth with sesame oil and coat it on the forehead, it ends forehead pain or relapsing pain of the forehead.
- Cook fruit juice or decoction of root bark of colocynth with oil and filter it. Using 20 ml this medicine twice a day is useful to cure migraine, headache, pinus (chronic catarrh), ears pain and paralysis.
24. Breathing problems: Put colocynth fruits in hubble-bubble and smoke with it, it helps to end breathing problems.
25. Gonorrhoea: Make a decoction by boiling trifala, turmeric and root of red colocynth with water. Gonorrhoea is cured by taking 30 ml this decoction twice a day.
26. Pimples: Make a paste by grinding equal quantity of root of red colocynth and big colocynth together thereafter coat it on the affected parts, it checks pimples.
27. Plague: Grind last or 7 number burl of colocynth root (its burl is present in root) with cold water and apply it on the affected part twice a day as well as give about 2-3 grams to the patient with water. Using this process suppresses plague tumour quick and brings out plague poison with diarrhoea and also ends giddiness.
28. Piles moles: Make a paste by grinding colocynth seeds with water and apply it on the moles twice a day for some weeks regularly, it provides relief.
29. Glands swelling: Tying paste of colocynth leaves on the tumor suppresses tumour. Keep attention pregnant woman, children and weak person should not take it or take it carefully.
30. Malaria fever: Malaria and cold fever are cured by taking 1-4 grams powder of toasted colocynth wit honey twice a day. Make a decoction by boiling tinospora and colocynth and give to the patient. It is also useful.
- Constipation is eliminated by taking 1-3 grams powder of colocynth root with dry ginger and jiggery twice a day. Keep attention that over quantity of it should not be used because it works as poison.
- Apply ground fruit of colocynth on the navel and give 2 grams powder of its root to the patient with water at bed time. It is useful to eliminate constipation.
- Giving 2-4 tablets of colocynth vati to the woman with sesame decoction twice a day destroys the embryo.
- Putting roll of colocynth root in the vagina causes abortion.
33. Disorders of pregnant woman: Coat paste of colocynth root on the affected part provides relief in breast pain and fever due to fever.
34. Deafness: This disease is cured by dripping oil of colocynth fruit in the ears twice or thrice a day.
35. Ears pain: Cook raw fruit of colocynth in sesame oil and fill it in a bottle after filtering. Dripping 1-2 drops this medicine in the ears twice a day destroys ears worms.
36. Amenorrhoea: Putting colocynth root on the uterus mouth is useful to make menses normal.
37. Ulcer: Grind colocynth, shankhahuli, danti and neli with cow urine and give about 25 grams to the patient in the morning regularly, it provides relief.
38. Stomach enlargement: Giving 120-240 mg powder of colocynth root to the patient with dry ginger and jiggery twice a day is useful in the case of stomach enlargement due to dropsy and liver or spleen enlargement
39. Stomach worms: Grind colocynth root with water properly and apply it on the outer and inner of the anus, it destroys worms.
40. Whitlow: Grind root of colocynth and vishala together and apply it on the affected part. It is useful to end swelling and pain of the fingers.
- Dissolve 5 grams fresh root of colocynth, 5 grams fresh root of rushi and 10 pieces of black peppers in 200 ml water then filter it. Giving this medicine to the patient for eating for 7 days regularly is useful to cure syphilis.
- Make a decoction by boiling 50 grams colocynth root with 400 ml water and give it to the patient after mixing sugar candy. Syphilis is cured by taking it.
42. Ulcer: Grind colocynth root and vishala (mahakal, a kind of colocynth) with water on a stone piece thereafter coat it on the ulcer. It is useful to end swelling and pain due to ulcer.
43. Carbuncle: Grind root of colocynth and vishala with cold water and coat it on the affected part, because it helps to end swelling and pain due to carbuncle.