INDIAN BEECH (KARANJ*)
The trees of Indian beech are found in forests. Shadow of its tree is cool and dark. Its pods are long which have long and thick seeds. Its seeds contain bitter and thick oil. This oil contains 27 percent Pongemia oil which is used as fuel (burning). Grind the seeds of Indian beech with lemon juice and apply it on the ringworms. Its use provides relief. Eat the sauce of Indian beech’s seeds to get rid of diabetes.
Pods of Indian beech: Pods of Indian beech are hot in nature and greasy. Its pods are used in the treatment of head problems, leprosy, piles and spermathorrhoea. These bring the phlegm out and destroy worms. Its pods are also useful to eliminate gas trouble. Ripe pods of Indian beech are pungent, hot in nature, bitter and vapid.
Indian beech oil: Oil of Indian beech is bitter, greasy and hot in nature. It checks vatta disorders and destroys worms. It is also useful to cure eye diseases and healing the wounds up caused by boils. It is used in the treatment of scabies, leprosy, wounds, itching, colic pain, piles and vagina diseases. It also eliminates gas trouble.
Name in different languages:
Sanskrit - Karanj
Hindi - Kanja or Katjarnja
Latin - Pongamia glabra
English - Indian beech, Smooth leaved
Gujrati - Kanjhi, Karanj
Marathi - Karanj
Bengali - Daharkaranj
Kannnada - Hulguli, Hongea, Kangyangida
Telugu - Kanjkarnagu
Tamil - Pungamaar, Pongemia
Malayalam - Ponna
Indian beech eliminates stomach gas and brings the phlegm out. It is useful to cure vagina diseases, colic pain, piles, wounds, itching, skin diseases, stomach diseases, and spermatorrhoea and spleen problems. It alleviates poisoning and destroys worms. It also checks bile disorders.
Useful in different diseases:
1. Rat’s poisoning: Grind the seeds and the bark of Indian beech together. Apply this preparation on the bitten part to alleviate rat’s poisoning.
2. Itching and scabies: Mix camphor or lemon juice in the oil of Indian beech. Apply this mixture on affected area. Its use gets rid of itching and scabies.
3. Bile: Take the bark of Indian beech or its juice checks. Its use checks bile disorders.
4. Migraine: Grind the seeds of Indian beech with warm water and mix a little jiggery (gur) in it. Pour this mixture into the nose to get rid of migraine.
5. Vomiting: Toast the seeds of Indian beech and make pieces. The use of these pieces stops vomiting.
6. Skin diseases: Apply the oil of Indian beech on the skin twice a day. Its use gets rid of skin diseases.
7. Toothache: Brushing with the twig of Indian beech tree is useful to end toothache.
8. Erysipelas: Mix lemon juice into the oil of Indian beech and apply it on the affected portion thrice a day. Its use cures the disease erysipelas.
9. Testicles’ swelling:
- Grind the kernels of Indian beech with castor oil and apply it on a tobacco leaf. Tie this preparation on the testicles. Its use reduces the swelling of the testicles.
- Grind the root of Indian beech tree with rice water. Apply this mixture on the testicles. Swelling of the testicles disappears by its use.
10. Asthma: Drink the decoction of Indian beech’s seeds. Its use provides quick relief.
- Take 30 milligrams powder of Indian beech seeds twice a day. Its use abates cures fever.
- Take 60 to 120 milligrams powder of Indian beech’s seeds with equal quantity of black pepper twice a day. Its use gets rid of fever, intensive fever, influenza and malaria.
- Take 10 to 20 ml juice of Indian beech’s leaves or 60 to 120 milligrams its root twice a day. Its use provides relief in fever.
12. Whopping cough:
- Grind 15 grams kernels of Indian beech’s seed and mix water in it. Make tablets equal to black pepper of this above mixture and dry them in shadow. Taking one tablet twice a day provides relief in whopping cough.
- Lick about 120 to 480 milligrams powder of Indian beech seeds mixing with honey twice a day. Whooping cough will disappear by its use.
- Lick the powder of Indian beech’s seeds twice a day. Its use gets rid of whopping cough as well as all the types of cough.
13. Dry cough: Grind 15 grams kernels of Indian beech’s seed and mix water in it. Make small tablets of this above mixture and dry them in shadow. A person gets rid of dry cough by taking 1-1 tablet daily.
14. Fever caused by breathing problems (swasnak): Make a decoction by boiling the panchang of Indian beech, persian manna plant, orrisa root, root of clerodendron serratum (bharangi), shati-prakand, pistacia integerrima (karkatshrangi) holarrhena antidysentrica wall, sespadula leaves and tuber-root of helle bore together. Drinking this decoction thrice a day abates this fever.
15. Hair fall (Baldness): Grind the flowers of Indian beech and tie it on the head daily at night. Mix lemon juice in water and wash head with this mixture in the morning. Its use prevents hail fall and the victim of baldness gets rid of this disease.
16. Sterility: Grind the fresh root of white Indian beech tree with milk. Take 2 grams this preparation regularly from the fourth day of the beginning of menses. This medicine ends sterility.
17. Womb protection: Cover Indian beech with red cloth and tie it with a red yarn. Tie it on the waist. This formula protects embryo in the womb during pregnancy.
18. Stomatitis: Chew the leaves of Indian beech and suck. Mouth blisters disappear by its use.
19. Blood diarrhoea: Take the seeds of Indian beech mixing with Indian hemp (Gaanja). Its use provides relief.
20. Fistula: Tie the leaves of Indian beech on the fistula. Its use provides relief.
21. Liver enlargement: Take 10-20 ml juice of Indian beech leaves or 60 to 120 milligrams its root after breakfast. Its use normalizes to the enlarged liver.
22. Stomach ulcers: Take 3 ml juice of Indian beech’s root twice a day. Its use gets rid of stomach ulcers and other wounds of the body.
23. Stomach worms: Take 3 grams toasted kernels of Indian beech regularly for 4 days to destroy stomach worms.
- Mix oil of Indian beech’s seeds in lemon juice. Apply this mixture on the affected portion. Its use gets rid of herpes.
- Grind the seeds of Indian beech in lemon juice and apply it on the blisters. Its use provides relief to the patient who has been suffering from herpes.
25. Varicose veins: Spray the powder of Indian beech’s seeds on castor leaf. Tie this leaf on the affected portion. Its use gets rid of the disease named varicose veins.
- Grind five leaved chest (Nirgundi), Indian beech and neem leaves together. Apply this mixture on the wounds. Its use destroys germs and heals the wounds up.
- Grind Indian beech, neem and Indian privet leaves together. Apply this preparation on the wounds. This medicine heals the wounds up.
- Apply oil of Indian beech’s seeds and tie a bandage on poisonous and big wound. Its use heals them up soon.
- Apply the juice of Indian beech’s root on the wound which is full of offensive smell. Tie a bandage on the wound. Its use heals the wound soon.
27. Stomachache: Grind the kernels of Indian beech’s seed with 2-3 cloves. Stomachache disappears by taking or smoking this preparation.
28. Arthritis: Rub the oil of Indian beech’s seeds on the joints. Its use provides relief if a person has been suffering from joints’ pain.
29. Syphilis: Grind 15 grams green leaves of Indian beech and 15 grams neem leaves together. Extract the juice of the above preparation and mix 7-8 grams ground black peppers and 4 grams ground cubeb in it. Take this mixture regularly. Its use provides relief in syphilis.
30. Skin diseases: Apply the oil of Indian beech on the skin to get rid of itching, wounds, leprosy and other diseases of the skin.
31. Ringworms: Scratch ringworms with the help of nails and mix lemon juice in Indian beech seeds’ oil. Apply this mixture on the scratched ringworms twice or thrice a day. Ringworm disappears soon by its use.
32. Ringworm of the head: Mix lemon juice in Indian beech’s seeds’ oil. Apply this preparation on the head’s ringworm twice a day. Ringworm disappears by its application.
33. Acnes: Apply the oil of Indian beech seeds on the face. A person will remain far from acnes after its use.