Taste: It is pungent.
Structure: Hulhul is a plant of grass, which is about 3 feet high. Its leaves are small and seeds are black like postadane.
Nature: It is hot and some cool in nature.
Quality: Hulhul is spicy, bitter and tasty in taste, dry and cool in nature and generates bile. It is useful for the treatment of gas, fever, spermatorrhoea, side-effects of spirits, leprosy, skin diseases, intestines pain, ulcer, piles, dropsy and stomach spasm. It brings phlegm out and kills stomach worms. Dripping juice of its leaves in the ears provides relief from ears pain. Its seeds are useful to cure piles. It increases sperm count. Taking a decoction of hulhul leaves is useful to prevent amoebic dysentery and bloody loose motions.
Useful in different diseases:
1. Piles: Grind 30 grams leaves of hulhul and prepare poultice from it. Apply this poultice on piles moles and put on langot, it cures piles within 3-4 days.
2. Ears pain: Dropping light hot juice of white hulhul leaves in the ears provides relief from ears pain.
3. Delivery: Wrap hulhul root with thread and tie it on the hand or head of pregnant women, it makes delivery normal.
4. Tumour: Grind hulhul leaves (which flower is white) and prepare paste from it. Tying this paste on tumour provides relief.
5. Stomach worms: Give 2-4 grams powder of hulhul seeds to the elder and 360-1200 milligrams to the children with water, it ends stomach worms and cures stomachache.
6. Syphilis: Grind hulhul leaves with water on the stone piece. Take it like intoxicating (bhang) and tie it on the affected part, it provides relief in wound caused by syphilis.
7. Achrodynia: Taking 60 ml decoction of hulhul leaves is useful to cure achrodynia.