Congestion in the lungs is called pneumonia or inflammation of the lungs. When there is an attack of illness on the wind pipe of lungs or there is an inflammation, it is called bronchitis or inflammation of the wind pipe. Inflammation in the inner side of the lungs is called pleurisy. Sometimes, there is an inflammation in the inner side of the lungs along with lungs’ inflammation. It is called the inflammation of the lungs and inner side lungs or pleuro pneumonia.
There is an inflammation in one or both sides’ lungs in this disease. When right side lung becomes affected with illness, it is called single sided pneumonia and when inflammation is present in both lungs, it is called double pneumonia. The patient feels no problem except restlessness in simple fever. After that, the patient suffers from such symptoms as pain in the shoulders or below the chest, high temperature, and dry cough, fast breathing; weak and lean pulse like thread, eyes become dry or without mucous; red and scanty urine, foul smell comes mostly in old and weak persons. If all these symptoms are present, it should be considered that putrefaction of the lungs has been started.
There are three stages of pneumonia-
In this stage blood congests in the lungs and fever comes after chilliness. The patient suffers from such symptoms as temperature of the patient’s body rises from 103 to 107; the patient inhales and exhales breath 30 to35 times; the pulse throbs 120 to 130 times; the patient suffers from fever first of all and there is convulsions and stiffness in the body along with fever; scanty greasy phlegm comes along with fever and after that second stage starts. Phlegm like rust or yellow, thick and hard comes before the onset of second stage. There is a contraction in the chest as the patient coughs and the patient suffers from such symptoms as headache, lack of appetite, difficulty in breathing and full pulse.
Lung becomes hard and there is pain as the second stage starts. The patient feels no great problem while coughing and phlegm comes out after diluting. The period of the second stage stays from two to four days and after that the third stage starts.
As the disease aggravates, as fever rises and pain of the lungs reduce; the patient throws out the phlegm and suffers from cough; pus occurs in the lungs after the second stage generally but pus makes in excessive quantity after coughing; pulse becomes weak and the patient also becomes weak as breathing speed increases and the victim dies. Sometimes, the patient is not able to expectorate pus from the mouth and he dies by blocking the breath.
Check up of the patient:
Stethoscope is used to check up this illness of the patient. It is known after checking up the chest that hard voices occurs as the disease attacks and the patient suffers from voice of rubbing hair behind the head. In the third stage of this disease when pus occurs in the lungs, a strange sound (dhap-dhap) occurs. If both sides’ lungs are affected, it should be considered that the disease has become serious.
Cause of pneumonia:
The main cause of this disease is the infection of germs named Pneumococcus. Change in weather, no sweating, weak lungs due to excessive weakness of the body and sensation of cold can be the other reasons of this disease.
Treatment of the preliminary stage of pneumonia with different medicines:
1. Aconite: The use of this medicine is beneficial in the first stage of pneumonia. In this stage, the patient suffers from fever; strange voices like cracking of lead occur in the lungs; these types of sounds are heard when the patient inhales wind and he suffers from cough. This medicine is used in this stage of pneumonia when the effect of this disease reduces to some extant at the regular intervals of 30 minutes. The patient feels cold in the first stage of this disease; temperature rises high; he suffers from dry cough, pain in the lungs while coughing, sometimes blood with sputum and the patient becomes nervous. In this stage, the patient should take Aconite 3x for the treatment.
2. Sulphur: If the patient gets no relief after 3-4 hours of taking Aconite, the medicine Sulphur should be taken. It should be taken at the regular interval of three hours. Keep on taking this medicine for 24 hours. Its use provides relief. It can be taken after 24 hours too.
Treatment of the engorgement of pneumonia:
1. Bryonia: If any substance collects in the lungs, the patient feels difficulty in breathing. The patient feels pain if he lies by that side which is affected with illness because there is no movement due to suppressing it. In this engorgement stage of this disease when both layers of lungs do not touch to each other because of gathering substance in the lungs, the patient should take Bryonia 1x, 200. Its use provides a lot of relief. In this stage the patient suffers from dry cough, pain while coughing; heavy breathing and the patient keeps on lying down without any movement. For the treatment of this disease of the patient, the use of Bryonia 1X at the regular intervals of 2 hours proves beneficial. After getting some relief, Bryonia 200 can be taken.
2. Bryonia and Antim-Tart: A roaring sound occurs if phlegm gathers in the lungs. The patient should take Bryonia and Antim-Tart after one to another. If phlegm does not come out by taking Antim-Tart but creates roaring sound after diluting, the use of Ipecac provides a lot of relief. If both medicines don’t provide relief, the medicine Cali-Carb should be used. All these medicines should be used in the dose of 6x.
3. Bryonia and phosphorus: In the engorgement stage of this disease, the patient should take Bryonia. But for getting strength, the patient should take one medicine in morning and other in the evening in this stage. Phosphorus 30 can be taken for the treatment of this disease.
4. Iodine: The patient should take lower potencies of Iodine at the regular interval of an hour if the patient suffers from such symptoms as the stage of hepatization reduces; heaviness of breathing also reduces; phlegm comes out easily; and fever comes down. While giving treatment with this medicine some symptoms should be observed minutely. such symptoms are as constant dry cough but scanty phlegm; pinching pain like needle in the chest; lancinating pain, enhancement of pain after breathing, pain in the whole body, great thirst and constipation.
5. Sulphur: The use of Sulphur is very beneficial in the both stages of this disease. When the stage of engorgement of pneumonia is high, the medicine Sulphur should be used for diluting and throwing out the phlegm. Sometimes, the patient suffers from unresolved dysentery after this disease. The use of Sulphur is very beneficial in this situation.
Treatment of stage of dissolution:
1. Phosphorus: In the stage of hepatization of pneumonia or in the dissolution stage after hepatization, the patient should take Phosphorus 30 for getting relief. In hepatization stage of pneumonia, the use of Phosphorus is very useful. If symptoms of typhoid appear along with pneumonia, the use of phosphorus is very beneficial.
2. Hiper-Sulphur: When hardness of phlegm ends and it becomes dilute by the use of phosphorus, the medicine Hiper-Sulph 6 or 30 should be taken. Normally, this medicine is used in the last stage of pneumonia. While taking Hepar-Sulph, the patient should start treatment by considering these symptoms as aggravation of cough in simple cold and unbearable pain in the chest when it is touched.
3. Sulphr: First, second and third stage of pneumonia can be cured by the use of Sulphur 6, 30. The patient gets relief in all the stages of pneumonia. Its 2nd and 3rd potencies can be used if there is inflammation in the lungs or the patient gets no relief from the origin of pus by any medicine.
4. Iodine: In the third stage of pneumonia when phlegm keeps on occurring in the lungs in spite of absorption of phlegm and the patient suffers from hectic fever and becomes weak day by day. The patient should take Iodine 1, 2, 3 for getting relief.
5. Tuberculinum: If the reason of pneumonia is hereditary, the use of Tuberculinum is very beneficial. This medicine should be taken once in a week.
Treatment of pneumonia with other medicines:
1. Senega: If the patient suffers from pleurisy after pneumonia, he should take Senega 30 for treatment. If the patient feels weight on the chest and he feels that lungs have touched to the backbone, the use of this medicine provides a lot of relief. If there are boils on the left side of chest after inflammation and he suffers from dry cough and sneezing while coughing, the use of Senega is very beneficial in this situation.
2. Straphanthus: If there is doubt of heart fail because of heart’s weakness in pneumonia, the use of mother tincture of Strophanthus 6 is very beneficial. This medicine aggravates systolic pressure and heart muscles. Five to ten drops of Strophanthus should be used thrice a day in the chronic stage of this disease.
3. Phosphorus: If symptoms of typhoid appear along with pneumonia, the patient should take Phosphorus 30 for treatment.
4. Rannculus: If there is pain in the chest after pneumonia, the medicine Rannculus 30 should be taken to stop the pain.
5. Acone and Phosphorus: First of all, the medicine Acone should be given and after that Phosphorus in this disease for the treatment. There is no need to take another medicine after using this medicine.
6. Chelidonium: If there is a disease in the liver along with pneumonia, the use of Chelidonium provides a lot of relief.
7. Arsenicum: If any weak or old person suffers from pneumonia, he can take the medicine Arsenicum for treatment. The medicine named Nitric Acid also can be given to the patient for treatment.
8. Ferrum phos: If the patient of pneumonia suffers from light fever, this medicine can be taken for getting relief.
9. Lachesis: If the patient of pneumonia feels stinking breath while breathing, the use of Lachesis provides a lot of relief.
10. Cactus: If blood collects in the chest along with the disease pneumonia, the use of Cactus provides a lot of relief.
11. Vire-vir: If the patient of pneumonia suffers from inflammation at the vertebra of mind, the medicine Vire-Vir can be taken for getting relief.
12. Arnica: If the patient suffers from pneumonia due to any hurt or by doing hard labour, the use of Arnica proves very beneficial.
13. Lycopidium: If the patient of pneumonia suffers from severe pain in the trachea, he should take Lycopidium for getting relief.
14. Hyoscyamus: If the patient of pneumonia suffers from these symptoms as coughing; patient dreams horrible sights, weeping and shrieking, crying, sensation of excitement; scratching to the bed sheet at the last stage of pneumonia, he should take this medicine. Its use provides a lot of relief.
15. Cuprum: If the patient of pneumonia has a doubt of paralysis attack, he should take the medicine Cuprum 3 for treatment.
16. Carbo- veg: If the patient of pneumonia suffers from such types of symptoms as complexion of the body, hands and feet has been changed into greenish colour; body has become chilled; cold sweating from the body; patient desires for fanning near about the mouth and ameliorating the symptoms of disease; the patient should take the medicine Carbo Veg for getting relief from such types of symptoms.
17. Ammonium-Carb: If the patient of pneumonia suffers from excessive laziness, he should take the medicine Ammonium- Carb for getting relief.
18. Baselinum: The patient of pneumonia should take Baselinum once in a week along with other prescribed medicines. The patient gets a lot of relief by its use. While taking this medicine the patient should have such symptoms as inflammation in the lungs of the patient who suffers from cough due to tuberculosis and bleeding.
19. Acalica indica: The medicine Acalica Indica 3 is given to the patient of pneumonia in that condition in which dark colored blood flows from the body and suffers from excessive cough.
20. Hemamalis: If the patient of pneumonia suffers from excretion of dark colored clotted blood, he should take the medicine Hemamalis 1x for treatment.
21. Milifolium: The patient should take the medicine Milifolium 1x if he suffers from excretion of red colored frothy blood.
22. Gelsimium: If the patient of pneumonia suffers from such types of symptoms as inflammation in the right side lung and pain in the liver, yellow colored loose motions, difficulty in breathing, flushed face, headache, sensation of lifeless body, laziness, unjust job of the brain and shivering of the body, the patient should take the medicine Gelsimium 3x or 6 for getting relief.
23. Lycopodium: In the third stage of pneumonia if pus occurs, the patient should take Lycopodium 12 or 30. This medicine provides a lot of relief if the patient suffers from pneumonia in the right side and the patient expectorate excessive phlegm because of liver disturbance. This medicine provides relief if the patient suffers from these symptoms as yellow and brownish phlegm, offensive smell from the phlegm, blood along with phlegm, pneumonia of typhoid and ups and down of the nostrils as the patient takes breath.
Inflammation in the lungs on the appearance of collapsing fever symptoms:
The medicine Lycopodium 12 should take if the patient suffers from wet and constant cough. The medicine Arsenicum 3X should take if the symptoms are as fever, laziness, delirium, dry tongue and drowsiness. If the symptoms are as excessive laziness with the sensation of bursting heart while coughing, blueness upon the tip of tongue and drowsiness, he should take Rhus-Tox for treatment.
What should be done or what not in the condition of pneumonia:
1. Chest and back should be covered with cotton.
2. It should be mentioned that home is airy but the patient should not come in the contact of cool air.
3. The patient of pneumonia should accept the exercise of breathing to normalizing breathing system.
4. The patient should not wear heavy weight clothes.
5. Avoid such foodstuffs which are the source of the origin of phlegm.
6. The patient should live in a silence mood.
7. Steam should be taken if there is swelling in the nose.
8. The patient of pneumonia should take fresh fruits and vegetables for some days. Corn and protein should also be taken along with fruit and vegetables.
9. Patient’s towel and other article should not be used by others.
10. Arrowroot, kidney beans, lentil, milk and sago should be taken.
11. Gargle should be adopted with lukewarm water to provide relief to the throat.
12. A healthy person should not go near about the patient.
13. Don’t go at crowded place.
14. For enhancing prophylactic power, (fighting power) Zink, Vitamin A, Vitamin C should be taken.
15. Birds should not be tamed because they may the cause of infection.
16. Avoid drinking and smoking because their use can aggravate symptoms.
17. Onion and garlic should be taken in meal because both reduce swelling.
18. Chest pain reduces by fomenting it with hot water or hot pad of cloth.
19. Fresh fruit juice and vegetable soup should be taken in adequate quantity. Their use dilutes to the phlegm in the lungs which will come out easily with cough.
20. The patient should take complete rest.