A layer which covers the lungs of our body is called ‘Pleura’. When this layer becomes swell, it is called ‘Pleurisy’. 10% of Pleurisy occurs due to Tuberculosis. Besides it, this type of disease can be also caused by exposure to cold, Vat disease, Typhoid, Influenza, Britus and Pneumonia, etc.
The infection of bacteria is the main reason of pleurisy; this infection is caused by tuberculosis, kidney diseases, improper function of the kidneys and cancer, etc.
In the case of Pleurisy, the patient starts suffering from cough with difficulty in breathing; the chest feels intensive pain which is aggravated by coughing, movement, due to deep breathing and sneeze, etc. Addition to them, the sufferer feels weakness, profuse head sweating while sleeping at night and additional phlegm discharges.
There are 3 stages of this disease:-
1. Dry stage.
2. Diffusion stage.
3. Suppression (decline) stage.
Dry stage (first stage) :-
The first stage of Pleurisy is dry. In this stage, the pleura becomes swell and part near the chest feels pain which is aggravated by respiration. Breathing of the patient becomes fast. When the patient inhales, feels more difficulty. Sometime this type of pain occurs only in the stomach then we consider it as intestinal pain or stomachache. Cough with pain, less discharge of phlegm, patient lies down on that side which is not affected. Pulse rate becomes fast. Fever raised up to 102 -103 degree. If chest pain occurs, pleura becomes swell. When swelled pleura touch the lungs during respiratory process due to rubbing both of these layers, violent pain takes place (starts) in the chest.
Secretion (discharging) from the pleura (second stage) :-
In this stage, lots of discharging (secretion) becomes gathered in between pleura and lungs. Due to being gathered secretion, pleura are not able to rub each other due to which, slight pain starts in the chest. The patient feels heavy breath and if secretion has collected in the left lung, the heart is displaced to the other side. The patient feels fever and the quantity of white blood cells (WBC) are increased in the blood. The body starts becoming weak and thick urine comes out in little volume. This type of condition can persist for a week. If this secretion does not stop within a week, we have to consult a doctor.
Suppression stage (third stage) :-
All the symptoms of the patient start ameliorating in this stage. The sufferer becomes healthy slowly, secretion begins to dry. If secretion does not dry, it has to remove, because it causes pus in between pleura and lungs. If pus is produced (formed) between them, the patient comes in difficult condition.
Use of different drugs in all the three stages of Pleurisy:-
First stage- swelling of the Pleura:-
1. Aconite:- If little dose of Aconite 30 is given to the patient in the initial stage of swelling of the pleura, he gets relief completely within 24 to 48 hours. Giving 15-20 drops of Aconite daily helps to overcome to disease. By the juice of this drug, secretion is also dried. Therefore, this drug can be also used in the second stage of pleurisy.
2. Belladonna:- Pleura feel pain due to suppression of it in the initial stage of swelling and when the patient lies down on the affected part, pain gets aggravated. But this pain occurs only in the initial stage of it. Besides it, the patient feels fever and has pale face. Thus, Belladonna 30 should be taken.
Second stage- accumulation of secretion in the pleura:-
1. Antim-tart:- In the initial stage of accumulative secretion in the pleura, a whirr sound produces from the chest, but phlegm discharges in little quantity. Thus, giving Antim-tart 3x is beneficial in such symptoms of the disease.
2. Sulphur:- If Antim-tart makes no impression, Sulphur 30 should be given.
3. Arsenic:- If Antim-tart and Sulphur are failed, Arsenic 30 should be given.
4. Arnica:- Giving Arnica 3x or 200 is very useful in the condition of pus in the pleura due to taking over exercise or by any injury.
5. Apis:- If Antim-tart, Sulphur and Arsenic are failed, Apis 3x should be given at an interval of every 2-2 hours.
Third stage- pus in the pleura:-
1. Hepar-sulph:- If pleurisy is become chronic, pus begins to form in the pleura and the symptoms of tuberculosis start to appear, Hepar-sulph 30 should be given.
2. Sulphur:- If accumulated secretion became so thick and patient begins to face difficulty even after little movement, Sulphur 30 should be given at an interval of every 2-2 hours.
3. Silicea:- Giving Silicea 30 at an interval of every 2-2 hours is very useful in the condition of forming pus in the pleura.
4. China:- If the patient is become so weak due to pus in the pleura and the symptoms of tuberculosis begin to seen, giving China 3 at an interval of every 2-2 hours provides relief.
5. Tanic-acid:- If pus secretes from the pleura by itself, giving Tanic acid is very useful.
6. Merc-sol:- If the patient is suffering from profuse sweating at night and does not get relief, all the symptoms of disease are aggravated at night, troubles do not end even after reducing fever, Merc-sol 6 or 30 should be given.
7. Antim-tart:- The patient suffers from violent cough, a whirr sound produces in the throat due accumulation of phlegm in it, the patient feels pressure in his chest, nauseates so much, obstacle in his breath, heart beat becomes too fast, etc., thus, giving Antim-tart 3x or 30 or its powder is very useful.
8. Cimicifuga:- The patient feels sharp pain in his chest, cough becomes fast if he speaks even in little loud voice. Thus, giving Cimicifuga 6 is very useful in such symptoms of the patient.
9. Iodine:- If the patient has become too weak due to forming pus in the pleura, feels difficulty in breathing due to chronicle stage of this disease, cough becomes fast due to heat or by lying down on the stomach, etc., Iodine 3x or 6 should be given in such symptoms of the patient.
10. Cantharis:- The patient feels his breathing pipe as dry and weak. Afraid about cough due to deep exhaling or speaks loudly. He faces difficulty in breathing, fast heart beating, coming voices in low tone, etc. thus, Cantharis 3 or 30 is very useful in such symptoms.
11. Kali-mur:- Sticky phlegm comes in the mouth which can not be discharges and is stuck in the mouth. Ribs go on feeling pain, having difficulty in breathing, etc. thus, Kali-mur 6x or 200 should be given.
12. Kali-bicrome:- Sticky phlegm comes in the mouth which goes on hanging with the mouth like a wire while spitting. After discharging phlegm, the patient goes on coughing with short breathing. Heart beat becomes fast, having difficulty in breathing, when the patient lies down, he feels breath less,, etc. thus, giving Kali-bicrome 6 or 30 is very effective.
14. Carbo-veg:- The patient feels as if secretion in the pleura has to become pus. He becomes so weak, remains lethargic all the time, he feels excess burning sensation in his chest, discharges sour or salty and foul phlegm, etc. thus, Carbo-veg 6 or 30 is very useful in such symptoms of the patient.
15. Important notes:-
- Taking Vitamin-A and Vitamin-C daily in his diet in the condition of pleurisy helps to fight with this disease.
- The patient should avoid smoking and drugs (intoxicating things).
- If the patient has even little trouble related to breathe, he should consult a doctor immediately.
- Protect the patient from infected person (those persons who infect other).
- Things related to the patient as- towel, utensils, clothes, etc. should not be used.
- Nutritive diet should be taken and little exercise should be taken also.