English - Helle bore
Hindi - Kutki
Sanskrit - Katwi, Katuka, Tikta
Bengali - Katki
Marathi - Kutki
Gujrati - Kadu
Telugu - Karak rohini
Arabic - Kharvak aswad
Colour: Helle bore is white and black in color.
Taste: It is bitter in taste.
Structure: Helle bore is a tuber-root of big root. Its leaves are round like egg. Its flowers are blue and blossom in the clusters. There are two kinds of Helle bore as- black and yellow.
Nature: It is hot in nature.
Precautions: Using over quantity of Helle bore is harmful for the goitre patient.
Comparison: Helle bore can be compared with orrisa root.
Dosage: It is used in 720 milligrams to 6 grams quantity.
Useful in different diseases:
1. Stomachache: Taking 1-gram powder of tuber-root of Helle bore’s with water is useful to cure stomachache.
2. Skin diseases: Take 1 to 3 grams powder of helle bore’s root with water twice a day to cure all the types of skin diseases.
- Hiccups are stopped by taking smoke of helle bore and resin together.
- This disease is cured by licking powder of helle bore with honey.
- Mix equal quantity of gold ash and powder of helle bore’s root together. After that, take 120 to 240 milligrams this powder with 6 grams honey twice or thrice a day to prevent hiccup.
- Give 3-4 grams powder of Helle bore to the patient with honey to cure fever and influenza too.
- Make a decoction by boiling 5 grams powder of Helle bore’s root and 5 grams chiretta with water and mix 10 grams sugar-candy in it. Fever is cured by taking this decoction twice a day.
5. Chronic fever: Make a decoction by boiling helle bore, country mallow, cus-cus, coriander, nut grass and common fumitory with water. Chronic fever is cured by giving this decoction to the patient.
6. Malaria: This fever is cured by taking 5 to 10 grams powder of Helle bore with honey twice a day regularly.
7. Relapsing fever: Take 3 to 4 grams powder of helle bore with honey twice a day to cure chronic fever, influenza and fever along with constipation.
8. Bile fever:
- Grind helle bore and loaf-sugar 6 grams each together and give it to the patient with lukewarm water because it cures fever due to bile.
- Make a decoction by boiling helle bore, nut grass, holarrhena antidysentrica wall (Indrajav), padhi and box-myrtle with water thereafter mix sugar-candy in it. The fever caused by bile is cured by taking this decoction.
9. Relapsing fever: Make a decoction by boiling helle bore, nut grass and cus-cus with water thereafter take it to cure relapsing fever.
10. Prolapsus ani: Give 60 to 120 milligrams helle bore with honey to a child twice a day to cure prolapsus ani and to end intestines flabbiness.
- Take 3 to 4 grams powder of helle bore twice a day to clear the stomach.
- Mix helle bore, myrobalan and jaggery together thereafter give it to the patient, it ends constipation and clears the stomach.
12. Vomiting: The patient should take 3 grams powder of Helle bore with 6 grams honey because it prevents vomiting.
13. Cancer: The patient feels relief in cancer by washing the wound with decoction of helle bore.
14. Mouth diseases: Make a decoction by boiling helle bore, indian atees, turmeric, nut grass, indian berberry, sterospermum suaveolens (Padhal) and holarrhena antidysentrica wall (Indrajav) with water. All the diseases of the mouth are cured by gargling with it.
15. Ears pain: Grind helle bore and purple fleabane together. Heat it on low flame and apply on inside tumors of the ear, it gets rid of ear’s pain.
16. Sprue: This disease is cured by taking 600 to 1200 milligrams powder of helle bore with honey twice a day.
17. Chronic otitis media: Ear pain is cured by washing the ears with decoction of black helle bore twice or thrice a day regularly.
- Grind Helle bore and prepare warm paste from it. Applying this paste on the affected part provides relief in wound. The affected part can be washed with decoction of helle bore too.
- Washing wound with decoction of black helle bore provides relief in pain.
19. Dropsy: The patient feels relief in dropsy by taking 480 to 960 milligrams powder of black helle bore with honey twice a day. Keep attention that over quantity of black helle bore should not be taken otherwise it may be the cause of heart weakness and heart attack.
20. Urticaria: The patient feels inflammation due to urticaria and he suffers from fever. The patient should take 600 to 1200 milligrams powder of helle bore twice a day because it helps to cure urticaria. If someone has been suffering from chronic bilious fever, he should take 3 to 4 grams powder of helle bore with honey twice a day to get relief.
21. Hozkin gland: This disease is cured, if the patient takes 25 ml decoction of helle bore with honey.
22. Arthritis: The patient should take 480 to 960 milligrams black helle bore with honey twice a day to cure arthritis and fever. Keep attention that it should not be taken in excessive quantity.
- Make light warm to helle bore and chiretta together thereafter clean the affected part with it. It is useful to cure eczema.
- Soak helle bore and chiretta 5 grams each in 100 ml water in a glass pot at overnight. In the next morning, filter this water and drink it, it cures eczema and purifies the blood too.
24. Heart disability: The heart weakness ends by taking 500 milligrams to 1-gram powder of helle bore with honey twice a day.
- The patient should take 3 grams powder of helle bore with water thrice a day as well as mix coriander and jaggery together and prepare sweetmeats (laddu) equal of 20 grams from it. These sweetmeats should be taken twice a day. Using this process cures chronic jaundice within 3-4 days.
- Mix powder of Helle bore and powder of sugar-candy together and take it, and drink lukewarm water upon it. It is useful to cure jaundice.
- Grind Helle bore and chiretta 10 grams each together and soak it in half cup of water. Filter this mixture and give it to the patient to drink thrice a day, it cures jaundice.
- Grind Helle bore and myrobalan 5 grams each with water thereafter give it to the patient twice a day. Using this process for 15 days regularly cures jaundice.
- Soak Helle bore and currant (dry grapes) 10 grams each in the water at overnight. In the next morning, grind both together and take it twice a day for 15 days regularly, it cures jaundice.
26. White spots: Make a decoction by boiling helle bore, triphala, orris root, indian berberry, madder root, bark of neem tree and tinospora together. This decoction should be taken for 40 days regularly because it helps to check white spots.
27. Erysipelas: Grind thick helle bore, pomegranate, triphala, chiretta, malabar nut, red sandal and the bark of neem tree 5 grams each together and make 2 packets from it. Soak one packet in 200 ml water at overnight. In the next morning, boil this water until it remains ¼ parts then filter it. The patient should take this warm decoction. Thus, second packet should be used. It is useful to cure erysipelas, swelling, itching and vomiting.
28. Dysmenorrhoea (Menstrual excretion pain): The suffered woman should take 480 to 960 milligrams helle bore with honey because it cures dysmenorrhoea and makes menstrual excretion normal.
29. Children diseases:
- Mix 10 grams ground helle bore with 240 milligrams honey and give it to the suffered children twice a day, it cures all the diseases of the children.
- Grind helle bore with water and coat it on a child’s body to cure fever.
- Mix powder of helle bore and sugar-candy with honey thereafter give it to the children to lick, it cures fever.
30. Vincent angina: Gargle with a decoction of helle bore twice or thrice a day to get relief in above symptom. It cures wound and ends pain too.