Mostly, guava tree is grown in all the states of India. Allahabadi guava of Uttar Pradesh is famous in the world. It is very delicious. Its tree is 10 to 20 feet high and branches are thin and weak. Its stem base is smooth and brown, which covers with thin and white peel. The wood, which presents under the bark, is smooth. Its leaves are light green, rough, 3 to 4 inches long, rectangle shape and fragrant. Its stem is small.
Guava is green with red and yellow in color. Normally, guavas of seeds or without seeds are sweet and sour-sweet, are present in markets. Red guava is more useful than white guava. The guava of white pulp is sweet. Normally, its fruit is 30 to 450 grams in waight.
Normally, it is seen that when the people are purchase fruits, they think that only banana, apple, grapes and mango are more nutritive and powerful. They think that guava, which is cheap and receivable for everyone, is unused and only eating fruit for poor but it is not reality. Guava contains more nutritive elements than apple, so it is called ‘Apple of Poor’ too. Guava is sweet and purgative fruit. Using guava regularly is helpful for the treatment of constipation, Vatta disorders, Pitta disorders, insanity, giddiness, epilepsy, fever and inflammation. According to Ayurveda, guava is cool in nature and pungent and spicy in taste, which is help to increase sperm count. Here is comparing between the nutritive elements of apple and Guava, so you can imagine that how much nutritive is guava.
|Vitamin- C||About ¼ gram/ 100 grams||Vitamin-C||2 %|
|Carbohydrate||14.6 percent||Carbohydrate||13.4 percent|
Name in different languages:
English - Guava
Hindi - Amrood, Safree, Bihee
Sanskrit - Peruk, AmrooPhal
Marathi - Peru, Jaam
Gujarati - Jaamphal
Bengali - Piyara, Chichara, Goarchafal
Telugu - Goiya
Arabia - Kaamsura
Kannada - Shive
Latin - Sidium Guajawa
Guava contains vitamin C and sugar in enough quantity. It also contains enough quantity of Pectin. Eating guava with seeds is very useful and clears the stomach. Guava is used to make sauces, jelly, jams and cheese (Paneer).
The cold natured people, whose digestive system is weak, should not take guava because it is harmful for them. In the rainy season, white worms like small yarn originate in the guava. Eating this type of guava may be the caused of pain and surfeited in the stomach and cholera. Its seeds are hard, which does not digestive easily. If these seeds enter in the appendix, they can generate appendicitis disease. Therefore, its seeds should not be taken. There are two kinds of guava as- guava of white pulp and guava of red-pink pulp. The white grade is very sweet. Kalmi guava contains good kinds of Guava too. These are very big and have only 4-5 seeds. These types of guava are found in Banaras (Uttar Pradesh).
Useful in Different Diseases:
1. To increase strength and sperm count: Crush ripe, soft and sweet guavas and shuffle it with milk. Filter this mixture and separate seeds from it and thereafter mix sugar (according to taste) in this preparation. After that, take this medicine in the morning for 21 days regularly to increase sperm count.
- Eat ripe guava with salt to get relief in stomachache.
- Grind fifty grams soft leaves of guava and mix water in it. Filter this mixture and give it to the patient to drink. It will provide relief in stomachache.
- Grind fine leaves of guava tree and lick it with black salt because it provides relief in stomachache.
- Mix Fugni of guava fruit (small leaves, which present under the guava fruit) with some black salt and take it with lukewarm water to end stomachache.
- If someone suffers from stomachache, mix ground soft leaves of guava with water and make the patient drink because it provides relief in stomachache. Guava is the best medicine to cure indigestion, anorexia and surfeited. The patient, who suffers from indigestion, anorexia and surfeited, should take 250 grams guava after meals. If the patient does not suffer from constipation, he should take guava before the meal.
- Eat 200-300 grams guavas on empty stomach in the morning regularly to get relief in piles.
- Eating ripe guava is useful to eliminate constipation and piles.
- Piles are cured by taking 250 grams guava on empty stomach in morning for some days regularly. One should give excessive pressure on left leg while evacuation. By using this process piles do not occur. It also helps in stool clearly.
4. Dried cough:
- Toast guava in hot sand and give it to the patient, it provides relief in dry cough, phlegm cough and black cough. This process should be used thrice a day.
- Separate some pulp from a big guava and fill 6 grams ground caraway and 6 grams black salt in this hole and thereafter fill a cloth piece in it. Coat soil on the guava and toast in ash of cow dung. After toasting, separate soil and cloth from this guava and grind it, and filter. After that, lick half gram this ground guava with honey twice a day to get relief in dried cough.
- Toothache ends by chewing soft leaves of guava.
- Chewing guava leaves is useful to get relief in toothache.
- Boil guava leaves with water and dissolve alum in it. Gargling with this mixture is useful to end toothache.
- Chewing guava leaves is useful to end toothache. If someone suffers from gums pain, swelling and intestines pain, boil guava leaves with water and give it to him to gargle.
- In case of migraine, make a paste by grinding raw guava and coat it on the forehead in the morning. It provides relief.
- Grind raw green guava on stone piece and coat it on the affected part earl yin the morning. By using this process headache does not occur but if the patient suffers from pain, this pain is also cured by using it. This process should be used 3-4 times in a day.
- If someone suffers from blocked catarrh, he should take guava of without seeds and drink one glass of water after closing nose. When catarrh increases after using this process till 2-3 day, 50-100 gram jiggery should be taken to stop catarrh. Keep attention that water should not be drunk after taking this medicine.
- Taking guava for 3 days regularly is useful to cure chronic cold and catarrh.
- If someone suffers from chronic cold, he should take a big guava without seeds and drink fresh water upon it. This water should be drunk with closed nose. Using this process cures blocked catarrh within 2-3 days. If the nose blows continue from 2-3 days, 50 grams jiggery should be taken at night but water should not be drunk.
- The patient should eat guava in Malaria fever. Taking it regularly is beneficial to get relief in Tizara jwar and chauthiya jwar.
- Fever is cured by drinking juice of guava and apple.
- Guava should be taken in the condition of malaria.
9. Intoxicant of Indian hemp: The patient should eat 2-4 guavas or drink 25 ml juice of guava because it ends intoxicant of Indian hemp.
- Chewing ripe guavas on empty stomach in the morning regularly is useful to reduce mentally depression and end symptoms of insanity slowly. It also brings warmth from the body.
- The patient can take 250 grams sweet Allahabadi guava with lemon, black pepper and salt (according to need) in the morning and 5 p.m. in the evening. Using this process increases strength of brain muscles and comes out warmth from the body. It is also useful to end insanity. Brain tension is cured by eating guava.
11. Stomach disorders: One should take ground buds of guava in this disease.
12. To cold: Grind guava and make sweetmeat (Laddoo) from it. After that, take it with rosewater and sugar , it provides cold to the body.
13. Guava jam: Peel ripe, fresh and big guavas and make pieces from it. Boil these pieces with water on light fire until guava turns into soft then put it down and filter with the help of cloth. Mix 3 folds sugar in this filtered water to prepare treacle and put guava pieces in this treacle. Now mix powder of cardamom seeds and saffron according to desire in it and thereafter prepare jam from it. Fill this jam in china pot after cooling pot and cork its mouth for some days. Constipation is eliminated by taking 20-25 grams this jam regularly.
14. Eye diseases: Make poultice of guava leaves and tie it on the eyes at bed time, it ends eyes pain. It is also useful to end redness, swelling and pain of the eyes.
- Eat 250 grams guava and drink hot milk upon it, it eliminates constipation.
- Mix some loaf-sugar with ten ml juice of soft leaves of guava and give it to the patient in the morning. It eliminates indigestion or chronic constipation within 7 days.
- One should eat guava with black pepper, black salt and ginger in breakfast because it eliminates indigestion and surfeited. It also eliminates gas and increases appetite. Guava should be taken in the breakfast. The patient, who suffers from hard constipation, should eat guava twice a day.
- Take guava for 3-4 days regularly, it helps in stool clearly and eliminates constipation. It also ends eyes inflammation and headache caused by constipation.
- Eating guava increases humid in the intestinal and eliminates constipation. It should be taken before meals because if someone takes it after meal, it generates constipation. The patient, who suffers from constipation, should take guava in breakfast. The patient should take guava twice a day in the condition of chronic constipation. It clears the stomach.
- Constipation is eliminated by eating guava or dried grapes with guava.
16. Whooping cough:
- Toast one guava in hot sand and take, it provides relief in whooping cough. Guava should be given to the suffered child after grinding or dissolving with water. Eating guava with salt and black pepper comes out phlegm. 100 grams guava contains about ¼ grams to half gram Vitamin-C. It provides strength to the heart and increases humid in the intestinal. The patient, who suffers from chronic constipation, should take guava in breakfast. It helps in stool clearly and eliminates indigestion and gas too. One should eat guava with black salt to increase digestive power.
- Make a hole in a raw guava with the help of knife and separate some pulp from it. Fill 6 grams ground caraway and 6 grams black salt in this hole and thereafter warp a cloth upon this guava and coat wet soil upon it. This guava should be toasted in heat. Separate soil and cloth from the guava and grind it. After that, give half gram this ground guava to the patient with honey twice a day to get relief in whooping cough.
- Toast a guava in hot sand and give it to the patient to eat twice a day. It is useful to cure whooping cough.
17. Pimples and ulcers caused by blood disorders: The patient eat 250 gram guava at noon for 4 weeks regularly because it clears the stomach and ends body warmth. It also purifies the blood and cures pimples, ulcers, scabies and itching of the body.
18. Chronic cold: This disease is cured by taking guava for three days regularly.
19. Chronic loose-motion: Boil soft leaves of guava with water and give it to the patient to drink because it stops chronic loose-motion. If someone suffers from amoebic dysentery, intestines swelling and wounds, he should take 250 grams guava for 2-3 months regularly because it provides relief. Guava contains tannic acid, which is useful to cure wound. It also cures intestinal wounds and keeps the healthy too.
20. Phlegm cough: This disease is cured by eating toasted guava.
21. Brain disorders: Infusion of guava leaves is used in the condition of brain disorders, liver enlargement and disorders of the physically and mentally.
22. Unconsciousness: This disease is cured by rubbing juice or tincture of guava leaves on the rib bones of children.
23. Heart disorders: Separate seeds from the guava and prepare small pieces from it. Mix loaf-sugar in these pieces and cook it on fire to prepare sauce. This sauce is very useful for the heart and eliminates constipation too.
24. Heart weakness:
- Crush guava and squeeze half juice from it and thereafter mix some lemon juice in this juice. Heart weakness ends by taking this mixture.
- Guava contains vitamin-C. It provides strength to the heart and generates new energy in the body. It should not be taken in the condition of asthma and cough.
25. Cough and Kapha disorders:
- If someone suffers from dry cough and phlegm does not discharge, break a guava without knife and give it to him to chew early in the morning. It is useful to cure cough within 2-3 days.
- Squeeze juice with the help of bhavak machine and give it to the patient with honey. It also provides relief in dried cough.
- If someone suffers from excessive phlegm and cough, constipation and fever, he should eat fresh and sweet guavas according to desire because it provides relief.
- If someone suffers from common cough caused by catarrh, toast half ripe guava and give it to him with some salt. It provides relief in common cough.
26. Vomiting: Give ten ml decoction of guava leaves to the patient, it prevents vomiting.
27. Excessive thirst: Put small pieces of guava in water. After sometime, drink this water to get relief in over thirst caused by diabetes.
28. Diarrhoea (Loose-motion):
- Boil fifteen grams root of guava tree into 150 ml water until it remains half water then put it down and make cold. After that, give 6 grams this medicine to the suffered child twice or thrice a day to cure chronic diarrhoea.
- Diarrhoea is cured by taking boiled fruit of guava.
- Make a decoction by boiling bark and soft leaves of guava tree with water. After that, give 20 ml this decoction to the patient to get relief in the first stage of cholera.
29. Sprue: Taking guava jam is very useful in the condition of sprue and diarrhoea.
30. Prolapsus Ani:
- Coat a decoction of bark of guava root on the affected parts to get relief in prolapsus of children.
- If someone suffers from prolapsus ani in fast diarrhoea, he should tie poultice of guava leaves on the affected parts because it reduces swelling and cures prolapsus ani.
- Grind fine guava and cobra saffron together and thereafter prepare tablets equal of kidney bean from it. These tablets should be taken in the condition of prolapsus ani.
- Mix equal quantity of bark, root and leaves of guava. Grind 250 grams this mixture and boil it with one liter water until it remains half quantity then put it down and wash the anus with this decoction again and again and push the anus. Using this process is useful to cure prolapsus ani.
- Grind bark, root and leaves of guava fifty grams each together and thereafter boil it with 400 ml water until it remains half water then filter it. Washing the anus with this water is useful to cure prolapsus ani.
- Make a paste by grinding leaves of guava and tie it on the anus after pushing the anus. It is useful to cure prolapsus ani.
31. Knee pain: Coat ground soft leaves of guava on affected parts. It provides relief in the knee’s pain.
32. Malaria fever: Eating guava is useful to get relief in malaria.
33. Fever: Grind soft leaves of guava and filter it. Fever is reduced by giving it to the patient to drink.
34. Bile inflammation: Grind guava without seeds and rosewater and sugar-candy in it. After that, take this medicine, it provides relief in increased bile and inflammation.
35. Indian hemp and thorn-apple Nausea: The patient should drink juice of guava leaves or eat guava according to capacity because it ends the intoxicant of Indian hemp and thorn-apple.
36. Stomach gas: Mix one spoon ginger juice, half spoon lemon juice and honey together and thereafter give it to the patient; it provides relief in stomach gas slowly.
37. Mouth blisters:
- The mouth blisters are cured by taking guava after eating meals.
- Mix catechu with guava leaves and chew it as betel leaf. It cures mouth blisters.
- Boil soft and new leaves of guava with water and filter it. After that, give a little of this water to the patient, it cures diarrhoea.
- Diarrhoea is cured by taking guava with sugar-candy.
- Make a decoction by boiling ten guava leaves, two lemon leaves and three leaves of basil with one cup of water. Diarrhoea is cured by taking this decoction.
39. Mouth diseases: Burn acacia arabica leaves, guava leaves and barley together and thereafter fill its smoke in the mouth. Using this process is useful to cure throat diseases and mouth blisters.
40. Indigestion: Chew two leaves of guava and drink water upon it. It provides relief in indigestion.
41. Over thirst: This disease is cured by eating guava, strawberry, mulberry and cucumber (Kheera).
42. Diabetes: Toast ripe guava in fire and prepare bharta (paste) from it. Mix salt (according to taste), black pepper and cumin seed in it. This medicine is very useful in the condition of diabetes.
43. Inflammation and itching of the vagina: Boil 25 grams ground root of guava tree with 300 ml water and filter it. Immerse a clean cloth in this water clean the vagina with it. Using this process is useful to inflammation and itching of the vagina.
44. Rheumatism: Grind 5-6 new leaves of guava and mix some black salt in it. After that, take this medicine regularly to get relief in rheumatism (joints pain).
45. Ulcers and Pimples: Boil some leaves of guava with water and grind it. After that, apply this paste on the affected parts to cure ulcer and pimples.
46. Erysipelas (Group of pimples): Eat 250 grams guava in noon for 4 weeks regularly; it clears the stomach and bring out warmth form stomach. It purifies the blood and cures pimples. It also ends itching.