The plants of greater galangal are 6 to 7 feet high. Its branches have many leaves. Its leaves are 1 to 2 feet long, 4 to 6 inches wide and sharp from upper side. Its leaves are smooth from upper side and hairy from lower side. Its flowers are small, some curve and white with greenness, which blossom in clusters in summer season. Its fruits are round like lemon. Its root is fragrant, which has burls like potato. Its root is red from external and yellow from internal.
According to Ayurveda, the juice of greater galangal is bitter and spicy in taste and hot in nature, and dry. Its fruit is bitter in taste. It eliminates gas and phlegm. It is useful in the case of cough, asthma, hoarseness, stammering, spermatorrhoea, indigestion, anorexia, impotency, stomachache, vatta disorders and headache. It removes offensive smell of the mouth and checks nerves disability.
According to Greek physicians, greater galangal is spicy, tasty and fragrant. It ends nerves weakness and enhances digestive power. It ends impotence and brings out phlegm. It increases sexual excitement and provides relief in pain of waist, head and throat. It also cures the chest diseases.
According to Scientists, after analyzing the chemical structure of greater galangal, it is found that its root contains Ailpinin, Gelngin and Kempheried substances. Its stem contains fragrant and flyable oil, some quantity of camphor, Sinioil, D-Pienin and Methyl sinement. These all the substances are useful to end breathing problems and urinary disorders.
Name in different languages:
English - Greater galangal
Hindi - Kulanjan
Sanskrit - Malyavcha
Marathi - Koshthi Kolinjan
Gujrati - Kulinjan
Bengali - Kulinjan
Latin - Aelipnia galangal
Precautions: Taking over quantity of greater galangal may be the cause of retention of urine.
Dosage: It is used in 1 to 3 grams quantity.
Useful in different diseases:
1. Excessive sneezing: Make a packet by putting powder of greater galangal in a cloth and smell to prevent sneezing.
2. Retention of urine: Give 3 grams powder of greater galangal’s root to the patient with coconut water twice a day to cure retention of urine. It helps in urination clearly.
3. Children diarrhoea: Grind burl of greater galangal’s root with whey and mix some asafetida in it. Make light this mixture and give half spoon to the suffered child to lick because it prevents loose motions that occurs repeatedly.
- Impotency ends by sucking piece of greater galangal’s root regularly.
- Mix one spoon powder of greater galangal with one cup of milk and give it to the patient twice a day. It is useful to end impotency.
- Take 1.5 grams powder of greater galangal with 10 grams honey and drink cow milk with honey upon it. Using this process is useful to enhance sexual power.
5. Stammering: Make the fine powder by grinding equal quantity of powder of greater galangal, orris root, Indian penny wort and convolvulus pluricaulis (Sankhpushpi) together. After that, give one spoon this powder to the patient twice a day regularly to end stammering within some weeks.
- Make the powder by grinding liquorice, greater galangal, rock salt and pyllitory root together. Hoarseness is cured by rubbing this powder on the tongue.
- Hoarseness is cured by sucking piece of greater galangal.
- Put 1-gram greater galangal in betel-leaf and take it to get relief in hoarseness.
7. Joints pain: Make a paste by mixing equal quantity of greater galangal powder and dry ginger powder with castor oil. Joints pain is cured by applying this paste on the affected parts.
8. Headache: Make a packet by putting powder of greater galangal’s root in a cloth and give it to the patient to smell, it provides relief in headache.
9. Sperm with urine: Grind greater galangal with water and take it to get relief in sperm with urine.
- Rub powder of greater galangal on the teeth twice a day regularly to end toothache. It also makes the teeth strong.
- By brushing with fine powder of greater galangal’ root toothache ends.
11. Asthma or breathing problems: The patient should take about 240 to 480 milligrams powder of greater galangal with honey twice a day to get relief in asthma.
12. Whooping cough: This disease is cured by taking 240 milligrams powder of greater galangal with honey twice a day.
- Mix 2 grams powder of greater galangal with 3 grams ginger juice and lick it with honey because it cures cough.
- Licking 240 to 480 milligrams powder of greater galangal with honey twice a day regularly provides relief in cough.
14. Surfeited: The patient should take 2 grams powder of greater galangal and 10 grams jaggery with water.
15. Belching: The patient should suck 240 to 480 milligrams greater galangal because it ends indigestion and prevents belching and removes offensive smell of the mouth too.
16. Mouth offensive smell:
- Offensive smell of the mouth and body reduces by sucking greater galangal.
- One pinch powder of greater galangal’s root should be sucked to remove offensive smell of the mouth.
17. Furunculosis of external ear: Cook greater galangal and make oil and after that apply this oil on the ear pimples to get relief from pain.
18. Throat inflammation: The patient feels relief in throat inflammation by sucking 240 to 480 milligrams pieces of greater galangal twice or thrice a day.
19. Stomach inflammation: Chewing 240 to 480 milligrams pieces of greater galangal is useful get relief in stomach inflammation, digestive activity problems and acidity too.
20. Acidity (Sour belching): The patient should suck 240 to 480 milligrams greater galangal because it prevents sour belching.
- Grind equal quantity of greater galangal, rock salt, coriander, cumin seed and currant with lemon juice thereafter take it to end stomachache.
- Make the powder by grinding greater galangal, caraway and black salt 10 grams each together. After that, take 3 grams of this powder with lukewarm water regularly to get quick relief from stomachache.
22. Bed-wetting: Mix 50 grams powder of greater galangal with honey and give one spoon to the child to lick twice a day. It ends the bad habit of bed-wetting.
23. Diabetes mellitus: Grind 25 grams greater galangal and store it. After that, give 3 grams this powder to the patient with water twice a day to cure diabetes mellitus.
24. Acnes and freckles:
- Acnes are checked by applying oil of greater galangal on the face.
- Grind root of greater galangal plant with water and apply it on the face twice or thrice a day, it checks acnes and freckles of the face.
25. Excessive sweat: Powder of greater galangal should be rubbed on the body in the case of excessive sweat because it is beneficial.