Color: Gathivan is yellow and black.
Taste: It is bitter.
Structure: There are three kinds of gathivan as- yellow, black and crass. Yellow is not best but it can be used in work. Black is the best, so it is used in enough quantity. Crass gathivan is used in less quantity. Gathivan means sweet basil (Ban tulsi).
Nature: It is hot in nature.
Quality: Gathivan is bitter and pungent in taste and increases appetite. It brings phlegm out and eliminates gas. It is a fragrant mineral which alleviates poisoning. Rubbing it on the body generates dryness on the skin. It cures fever and ends the bad effect of ghost.
Useful in different diseases:
1. Bronchitis: Taking a decoction of gathivan panchang (root, stem, leaves, fruit and flower) twice a day is useful to get relief in bronchitis.
2. Asthma (Breathing problems): Take 20-40 ml decoction of gathivan panchang (root, stem, leaves, fruit and flower) twice a day, it ends breathing problems.
3. Blisters: Coat ground leaves of gathivan on blisters, it provides relief.
4. Relapsing fever: Taking 20-80 ml juice of gathivan root twice a day is useful to cure relapsing fever.
5. Whooping cough: Take decoction of gathivan panchang (root, stem, leaves, fruit and flower) twice a day, it brings phlegm out and cures cough.
6. Loose motions: Taking juice of root or panchang (root, stem, leaves, fruit and flower) of gathivan twice a day is beneficial to get relief in chronic loose motions.
- Coat ground leaves of gathivan on the abdomen, it provides relief in dysentery.
- Mix 40-80 grams seeds of gathivan with water and take, it provides relief early in dysentery.
8. Hurt: Make a paste by mixing powder of dried root of gathivan with water and coat it on the affected part, it cures wound and provides relief from pain.
9. Wound: Wash seeds of gathivan and tie it on the affected part, it cures wound early.