The trees of Galls are found in Assam, Kashmir, Bhutan, Nepal, Bengal and lower hilly areas of Himalayan. Its trees are 7.50 to 12 meters high. The width of galls tree reduces as it grows. Its bark is black and dusky. Galls tree has a special fragrance. Its leaves are 12 to 16 centimeters long and 1 to 3 inches wide. Its new soft leaves are red. Galls flowers are small and red which blossom in April-June properly. Its fruits are smooth and round. Its ripe fruits are light dusky. The insect named Acif makes its home on the leaves of galls like big horns which are used in treatment. Insect’s home is contracted, 1 to 3 inches long and half to 2 inches wide which is hollow from inside like horn.
Name in different languages:
English - Sterwartics brandis, Galls
Hindi - Kakdasingi
Sanskrit - Karkatshrangi
Marathi - Kakdasingi
Gujrati - Kakda
Bengali - Kankda shrangi
Latin - Pistacia integerrima
Colour: It is red and light black.
Taste: It is spicy and pungent.
Structure: Galls is fruit of a tree, which looks like a horn.
Precautions: Taking over quantity of galls may be harmful for the liver.
Removing side effects: Sterculia urens (Katira) is used to remove all the side effects of galls.
Dose: Galls is taken in the quantity of 1 to 3 grams.
Quality: Galls gets rid of asthma and cough especially in children. It is used for to stop hiccup, vomiting and blood diarrhoea. It quenches the thirst and brings the phlegm out. It also increases appetite. Apply galls paste on the affected part to remove black flecks.
Useful in different diseases:
1. Swelling: Make a paste by grinding galls’ pod with the urine of healthy cow. Apply this paste on swollen portion. Its use reduces swelling.
2. Digestion power:
- Take powder of long pepper and equal quantity of powder of galls mixing with honey before half an hour of taking food twice a day. This medicine enhances digestion power.
- Lick galls and small pepper mixing with honey. Its use enhances digestion power and increases appetite.
3. Gums bleeding:
- Gargle with a decoction of galls’ pods twice a day. Its use prevents bleeding from the gums.
- Make thick decoction by boiling galls and apply it on the gums for a little span of time then gargle with this water. This process should be done twice a day. Its use prevents bleeding and discharge of pus from the gums.
- Take the powder of nut grass mixing with equal quantity powder of galls’ pods and 1 spoon honey. Its use stops vomiting.
- Make the powder by grinding equal quantity of nut grass and galls together. Lick half to 2 grams this powder gets rid of retching and stops vomiting. It also brings the phlegm out.
5. Hurt and bleeding from the wound: Apply fine powder of galls’ pods on the hurt. Bleeding from the wounds is stopped by its application.
6. Sprue: Take half spoon powder of galls’ pods with curd 3-4 times a day. Its use provides relief in sprue.
7. Impotence: Take half spoon of fine powder of galls’ pods with one cup of milk twice a day. Its use gets rid of impotence within a few weeks.
8. Hiccup: Make the powder by grinding asafetida, galls, ruddle, dry ginger and liquorice, and nut grass together. Mix honey in this powder. Licking this mixture gets rid of hiccup and breath problems.
9. Loose motions:
- Make the fine powder by grinding galls and mix honey in 2 grams this powder. Give this mixture to the child for licking. Its use provides relief in loose motions.
- Mix equal quantity of beel powder and powder of galls’ pods together. Take 1 spoon this powder thrice a day. Its use stops loose motions.
10. Bascillary dysentery: Fry galls’ powder with ghee. Take half to 2 grams this powder mixing with sugar-candy twice a day. Its use gets rid of bascillary dysentery.
- Fry galls’ powder with ghee and mix half to 2 grams sugar-candy in it. Take this mixture twice a day. Its use gets rid of sprue.
- Prepare 10 grams powder of galls. Take 2 grams this powder twice a day. Its use provides relief in dysentery.
12. Leucorrhoea: Mix 15 grams loaf-sugar with 15 grams galls’ powder. Take 3 grams this powder mixing with fresh milk daily in the morning. A woman victim of leucorrhea gets rid of leucorrhoea.
13. Stomachache: Make the fine powder by grinding galls, Indian atees and pipal as well as nut grass together. Lick this powder mixing with honey gets rid of stomach pain.
14. Psoriasis: Apply galls’ paste on the affected portion. This application is very beneficial in chronic skin diseases.
15. Scabies and itching: Grind galls and apply it on the affected part. Its use gets rid of itching and scabies.
16. Problems during dentition: If the child has been suffering from fever, cough, diarrhoea and other diseases of the stomach during dentition, grind equal quantity of galls, Indian atees and small pepper together to make the powder. Filter this powder through a cloth and store it in a bottle. Give 60 milligrams this powder mixing with honey to the child thrice a day. Its use provides relief. This medicine become very effective if the powder of nut grass is mixed in it. Its use also stops vomiting.
17. Asthma or breathing problems:
- Make the powder by grinding galls, dry ginger, long pepper, nut grass, orrisa root, long zedoary and black pepper together. Mix loaf-sugar in this powder and take it regularly. Its use gets rid of asthma and breathing problems. Make a decoction by boiling tinospora, malabar nut tree and panchmool (five types of root) together. Mix this powder in this decoction and drink. Its use provides relief in serious stage of asthma.
- Take the powder of bay berry and galls’ pods mixing with one spoon honey twice a day. Its use gets rid of asthma.
- Make the powder by grinding equal quantity of galls, root of clerodendron serratum (Bharngi), dry ginger, small pepper, long zedoary and dry grapes together. Lick 180 milligrams this powder mixing with honey twice or thrice a day. Its use gets rid of cough and other breathing problems.
- Take half spoon this powder of galls mixing with honey twice a day. Its use provides relief in cough. It also can be given to the child to stop cough. Its ¼ spoon should be given to the child.
- Make the fine powder by grinding equal quantity of galls, Indian atees and liquorice together. Lick 1-3 grams this powder 3-4 times a day. It is a good remedy for the treatment of cough.
- Grind equal quantity of galls and black pepper together and make tablets of this mixture. Suck these tablets to get rid of cough caused by phlegm.
- Make the fine powder by grinding galls, dry ginger and long pepper 10 grams each together. Take 1 gram this powder mixing with honey thrice a day. Its use provides relief in dry cough.
19. Whooping cough:
- Grind galls, dry ginger and long pepper 10 grams each together to prepare the powder. Lick 1 gram this powder mixing with honey thrice a day. Its use gets rid of whopping and dry cough.
- Make the fine powder by grinding galls, root of long pepper, rock salt, peels of beleric myrobalan, gum and acacia tree 10 grams each together. Mix a little water in this powder and make tablets equal to gram of this preparation and then dry these tablets in shadow. Suck 1-1 tablet 3-4 times a day if you want to get rid of all types of cough.
- Make the powder by grinding galls, peel of beleric myrobalan, cubeb and liquorice 10 grams each together. Mix ginger juice in this powder and make tablets equal the gram of this above mixture then dry these in shadow. Sucking 1-1 tablet 2-3 times a day. This medicine is very useful in whooping cough.
20. Children diseases:
- Make the powder by grinding galls. Give 120 milligrams this powder mixing with honey to the child for licking. Its use provides quick relief.
- Grind galls, Indian atees and small pepper 5 grams each together. Give 240 milligrams this preparation mixing with honey to the child thrice a day. Its use provides relief.
- Boil galls and Indian teak in milk. Rub this milk on the child soles. Its use ends the habit of teeth grinding at night.