Five Leaved Chaste
FIVE LEAVED CHASTE (NIRGUNDI*)
VITEX NIGUNDO, VERBENACEASE
Its tree grows itself all over India. Its trees are found mostly more in hot zones. It is also grown on field’s sides, gardens, parks and homes. Its leaves give a special smell by crushing.
Name in Different Languages:
English : Five leaves Chaste
Hindi : Samhalu, Meuri
Sanskrit : Sinduwaar, Nirgundi, Sinduk
Bengali : Nishinda
Marathi : Nigad, Nirgandi
Telugu : Tellagawilli
Tamil : Nouchi
Gujarati : Nagad, Nagor
Malayalam : Indranni
Scientist : Vitex Nigundo
Surname : Verbenacease
Taste: It is bitter, pungent and dry in eating.
Structure: Its bushy plants have a bad smell of which nobody wants to smell. Its plant’s height is 180-360 centimeter. Many thin branches grow from its axis. Whole plant is covered with small hairs. Leaves stem has 3-5 leaves. Each leaf is 5 to 15 centimeter long, white with brown small hair. Its flowers are small, round, small than one inch and they become black after ripening.
Nature: It is hot natured.
Doses: One can take 10-20 ml juice of its leaves, 1-3 grams powder of its root’s skin and 3-6 grams powder of its seeds and fruits.
Quality: It calms Kapha and Vaata disorders. It reduces pain, swelling and increases brainpower. It heals wound, poison and destroys insects. It increases digestive fire and keeps normal digestive system. It excites liver and destroys worms. It decreases plegm and cough, and brings urine easily. It cures leprosy and itching, and cures fever. It prevents ear pus and ends head pain, sciatica, sperm with urine and eye problems. It increases body power and breast milk. It is also useful for anorexia and penis weakness.
Temper: According to Scientists, its fresh leaves have little quantity of light yellow oil. That oil contains 22.5 percent eldihide, 15 percent phenol and 10 percent cineol. Five leaved chaste has alcolides, Nishandine and Hydrocotilon. Fruits have carbonic acid, alkali elements and colours. 100 gm fresh leaves have 14 gram Vitamin C and little quantity of carotene are found in it. Besides, it also has glycoside, flobon, tannic acid and hydroxyl benzoic acid in active form.
Useful for Different Diseases:
1. Hurt and swelling: Grind five leaved chaste leaves and prepare a paste. Apply this paste or tie with bandage on affected parts. It provides relief and recovers wound quickly.
2. Epilepsy: Pour 5-10 drops of its leaves oil into nose. Its use provides relief in epilepsy.
3. Head ulcer: One should wash head with its decoction.
4. Ear diseases: Mix honey with pure oil of five leaved chaste leaves and pour 1-2 drops into the ear. It provides relief in ear diseases.
5. Cough: Take 12-24 ml juice of five leaved chaste leaves with pure milk twice a day, it provides relief.
- One should take 14-28 ml juice of its leaves thrice a day.
- Grind its root and pour into the ear. Its use provides relief.
- Hang the root of five leaves chaste tree in the neck of a child. In this way, teeth appear soon.
- Cut it root into small pieces and tie them in a black or red thread. Hang this garland in the neck of the child.
8. Kapha fever:
- Taking juice or 10 ml decoction of its leaves with one-gram long pepper powder is useful in fever. Toast five leaved chaste leaves and foment the chest, its useends Kapha fever and lungs’ swelling.
- Taking 30-40 ml decoctions of its leaves mixing with half-gram black pepper powder is useful to get relief in Kapha fever.
- Immerse 1-2 buds of garlic and caraway with five leaved chaste oil. Heat it a little. Rubbing with this lukewarm oil provides relief in fever, pneumonia and chest twisting caused by winter.
9. Puerperal fever: Puerperal fever ends by using five leaved chaste. Uterus contracts by its use and internal swelling ends.
10. Easy delivery: A woman gives birth to a child easily if she applies paste of ground five leaved chaste on the abdomen and vagina.
11. Gonorrhoea: Cook five leaved chaste leaves with water and prepare decoction. One should take this decoction in the preliminary stage of gonorrhea. If one has been suffering from retention of urine, boil 20 grams five leaved chaste with 400 ml water until it remains one fourth. Take 10-20 ml this decoction thrice a day. Its use brings urine easily.
12. Elephantiasis: Grind thorn apple, castor root, five leaved chaste, hogweed, drumstick peel and mustard together and prepare a paste. After that, apply this paste, it provides relief in elephantiasis.
13. In the stage of Slip-disk: Cook 5 grams powder of its peel or its leaves decoction on low flame. After that, take 20 grams this preparation thrice a day, it provides relief in the swelling of sciatic, slip-disk and muscles pain.
14. Sex power:
- Grind 40 grams five leaved chaste and 40 grams dry ginger altogether and prepare eight doses. Taking one dose with milk regularly improves sex power.
- Grind five leaved chaste and apply on the sexual organs. Its use enhances sexual power.
15. Guinea worms: Take 10-20 ml juice of five leaved chaste leaves twice a day and foment with leaves, it provides relief in this disease.
16. All type of diseases: Taking five leaved chaste with bitumen provides relief.
- Applying its leaves oil recovers oldest wound.
- Old wound, pama, itching and chicken pox all are cured by applying the oil extracted from five leaved chaste leaves and root.
18. Closed Tumor: Tying warm leaves of five leaved chaste on affected parts breaks the tumour.
19. Tetanus: Taking 3-5 ml juice of five leaved chaste with honey thrice a day provides relief in tetanus.
- Boil 20 grams leaves of five leaved chaste with 400 ml water until it remains 100 grams. Sprinkle 2 grams powder of long pepper. Taking 10-20 grams this mixture twice a day provides good relief in coryza, fever and head heaviness.
- Boil 10 grams leaves of five leaved chaste with 100 ml water. Give it to the patient for drinking twice a day. Its use provides relief.
- Taking 14-28 militer juice of five leaved chaste with honey twice a day provides required relief.
21. Indigsetion: Take 10 ml juice of its leaves mixed with 2 ground black peppers and caraway twice a day, it makes normal to digestive power. Stomach wind comes out and the patient gets relief from pain.
22. Dysmenorrhoea: Take 2 grams powder of five leaved chaste seeds twice a day, it makes menstrual excretion normal.
23. Liver enlargement:
- One should take 2 ml juice of its leaves with 1\4 gram cow’s urine.
- One should take 2 grams powder of its leaves with half-gram black helle bore extract of indian berberin (rasot) twice a day.
24. Head diseases:
- Grind the leaves of five leaved chaste and make a poultice (Packet). Tying this poultice on temple is useful to get relief in headache.
- Take 2-4 grams powder of its fruit thrice a day. Its use reduces nerves and head problems.
25. Body weakness: Rubbing with five leaved chaste oil ends feet problems and weakness.
26. Throat pain and tongue blisters:
- Gargling with five leaved chaste leave’s decoction provides relief.
- Apply its oil in the mouth, tongue and lips. In addition, mix its oil with lukewarm water and keep in the mouth for some time. Its use provides relief.
- Mix lukewarm water and little ground salt with its oil and make the patient gargle. It provides relief in throat’s irritation, swelling, ulcer and others.
- Rubbing its oil on cracked lips provides relief.
27. Tuberculosis: Prepare juice with its panchang (Fruit, Flower, Stem, Root and Leave) and mix with pure ghee. Taking 12-14 grams mixture with milk twice a day provides relief.
28. For Long life: Cook one-kilogram juice of five leaved chaste on low flame until it changes into thick like jiggery treacle. One should take this mixture regularly for 7 days. Taking regularly for three months this preparation ends all diseases of old age and a person lives long. Use only milk during this treatment. Remember that extra care is necessary before following this treatment for those patients who are the victim of asthma, cough, tuberculosis, vomiting and loose-motions.
29. Vaata disorders, Back pain: Taking 14-28 ml juice of five leaved chaste’s leaves twice a day provides relief in Vaata disorders and back pain.
30. Testicles’ swelling: Tying and fomenting with warm leaves of five leaved chaste provides relief in testicles swelling, head pain, joints’ swelling and pain.
31. Bleeding from the body: One should apply its oil on the wound or cut body parts to stop bleeding. If one has been suffering from wound, sprinkle ground turmeric and tie bandage.
32. Breathing problems: Cook its leaves juice on low flame until it thickens. Taking this mixture regularly for 7 days is useful to cure cough, asthma and tuberculosis.
33. Relapsing fever:
- Grind its leaves and myrobalan with cow’s urine and prepare mixture. Taking this mixture twice a day is useful to get relief in relapsing fever and spleen enlargement.
- Take five leaved chaste leave’s juice with Helle bore and extract of indian berberin twice a day, it provides relief in relapsing fever.
34. Fever due to Kapha and Pitta:
- One should take five leaved chaste leave’s juice or its leave’s decoction with long pepper. Its use provides relief in fever that comes by disordering kapha.
- Foment lungs with warm leaves of five leaved chaste. Its use decreases lung swelling.
35. Fever that comes on fourth day: (Chaturthak fever): One should take 14-28 ml juice of its fresh leaves with 5-10 gram honey thrice a day. Its use provides relief.
36. Swelling and burning sensation of the tongue: Mix musle and five leaved chaste fruit together and give to patient to chew. Its use cures cracked tongue, its pain and blisters.
37. Conception: Immerse 10 grams five leaved chaste with 100 ml water at night. Boil this water until remains it remains one fourth and filter it. Mix 10 grams ground caltrops with this mixture. The woman should take this mixture for one week regularly after one day of stopping menses. The woman conceives embryo by its use.
38. Earworms: Dripping fresh juice of five leaved chaste in the ear is useful to destroy earworms.
39. Otorrhoea: Dripping 2-2 drops of five leaved chaste oil into ear provides relief in this disease named otorrhoea.
40. Dropsy: Take 10-20 ml juice of five leaved chaste leaves twice a day, it provides relief. Grind leaves of thorn apple, five leaved chaste, neem and smugh lived pongemia (Karanj). Cool this paste. Apply it on the stomach. It provides relief in stomach swelling.
41. Vaata disorders:
- Take 10 grams five leaved chaste ground with cow’s urine; it provides relief in breathing problems, cough and Vaata disorders in winter.
- One should rub with 10 ml five leaved chaste’s oil mixed with sweet oil. Its use cures all Vaata disorders.
- Tumours of rheumatis suppress by tying its leaves after heating them.
42. Migraine: Heat juice of black five leaved chaste leaves and drip 2-2 drops of lukewarm juice into ear. Its use ends migraine.
43. Mouth palate diseases:
- Chewing root of five leaved chaste tree is useful to cure this disease.
- Chewing root of five leaved chaste and Harsingaar is useful to get relief in tongue diseases.
44. Sperm problems: Grind five leaved chaste, Eulophia campestris (Salem Mishri), hygrophila spinosa (Taalmakhana), asparagus and pueraria tuberose (Vidari Kand) each 40 grams together. Mix 20 grams this powder with 250 ml boiled milk and take it with cardamom twice a day. Its use increases sperm count.
45. Rheumatism (Joints’ pain):
- Cook five leaved chaste, garlic and dry ginger each 25 grams with one-kilogram water for making decoction. Give it to the patient for drinking. It cures rheumatism.
- Rubbing with lukewarm oil of five leaved chaste on affected parts provides a lot of relief in joints pain or rheumatism.
- Taking 10-20 ml juice of five leaved chaste leaves twice a day provides relief. Grind five leaved chaste, smugh lived pongemia, neem and thorn apple leaves together and heat. Apply this paste on affected part.
46. Absces: Grind leaves of five leaved chaste and smugh lived pongemia together and tie on the boil. Its use decreases absces swelling.
47. High blood pressure: Boil five leaved chaste, garlic and dry ginger powder each 10 grams with 400 ml water for preparing decoction. Taking 50-60 ml decoction regularly is useful to make blood pressure normal.
48. Burning hand and feet Syndrome: Grind five leaved chaste leaves and make a paste. After that, apply this paste on hands and feet, it ends burning sensation.
49. Paraplegia: Take a decoction of five leaved chaste leaves mixing with long pepper powder, it makes thigh sensitive and destroys choked Kapha from bones.
50. Swelling of upper membrane of the heart: Take 10-20 ml juice of five leaved chaste leaves twice a day, it provides relief in the swelling of upper membrane of the heart.
51. Leprosy: Grind 10 grams soft leaves of five leaved chaste with 200 ml water and give it to the patient to drink. It provides relief in leprosy soon.
- Cook 20 grams leaves of five leaved chaste with 375 ml water on low flame until water remains only. Filter this water. Take this preparation regularly for 11 days, it provides a lot of relief in this disease.
- One should drink decoction of five leaved chaste leaves twice a day. It cures sciatica.
53. Nerves pain: Take 100 ml five leaved chaste juice with cow’s ghee regularly for three days. Its use provides relief in this disease quickly.
54. Scrofula swelling:
- Taking 10-20 ml juice of five leaved chaste leaves twice a day is useful to get relief in throat swelling.
- Taking juice of croton oblongifolius (Nagdanti) root with five leaved chaste leaves juice and smugh lived pongemia juice twice a day provides relief completely.
- Prepare oil from five leaved chaste leaves and apply. Its use ends the flexibility of bones and cures the disease scrofula.
55. Tonsillitis: A patient of tonsillitis gets relief by Chewing five leaved chaste root, by gargling with neem leave’s decoction and by applying milk-hedge milk on tonsils.