Ebony trees are high and its leaves are round and smooth like dalbergia sissoo. Its pulp is black and weighty. It is also called Abanus. Its fruit is round like lemon, which turns into yellow after ripening.
Name in different languages:
English : Ebony
Hindi : Tendoo
Sanskrit : Tinduk, Sfurjak
Bengali : Tend
Marathi : Tebhurni
Gujarati : Timbarvo
Parsian : Avanusujhad
Its raw fruit increases digestive power and generates vatta. It is cool in nature and light. Its ripe fruit is sweet and heavy. It is useful for the treatment of bile disorder, spermatorrhoea and blood diseases, and brings phlegm out.
Useful in different diseases:
1. Relapsing fever: Take 240-600 milligrams powder of ebony bark twice a day; it provides relief in relapsing fever.
2. Mouth blisters: Mix powder of ebony fruit with lukewarm water and gargle with it, it cures mouth blisters.
3. Loose motions:
- Taking 120-600 milligrams dried morrow of ebony is useful to get relief in loose motions and dysentery.
- Mix 10-15 drops oil of ebony seeds with milk and drink; it prevents loose motions.
4. Bacillary dysentery: Taking 120-600 milligrams hot pulp of ebony is useful to prevent bacillary dysentery.
5. Hurt: Apply ebony juice on the affected part; it provides relief in hurt caused by any reason.