Downy grislea tree is found more in the forests of Dehradun (Name of place). Besides it is found in other zones also. Its tree is 6 to 12 feet high, thick and with long braches. Its branches and leaves have special black marks. Its leaves are 2-4 inches long, sharp, thorny with rows and rise in front of each other. Its flowers are shiny, red and with clusters and small than one inch. Its fruit is thin in egg shape, glossy, brown and has small seeds. The flowers come in middle of January to April months and its fruits come in April to May month.
According to Ayurveda, downy grislea juice is pungent, bitter and cool. It ends phlegm and bile disorders, and increases excitement. It checks poisoning. It is also useful to cure sprue, diarrhea, and fever, blood disorder due to bile, teeth diseases and spermatorrhoea (Permeh). It is helpful for conceive.
According to Scientists, after researching of downy grislea is found that its flower contains 24 percent tannin and 11.8 percent sugar. Its leaves contain 12-20 percent tannin and ‘Lason’ named element. Its bark contains 20 to 27 percent tannin. Its flowers are used to make red color and dying to cloths.
Name in Different Languages:
English - Downy grislea, Grislea Outomentoza
Hindi - Dhay, Dhawai, Dhav
Sanskrit - Dhatki, Dhatpushpi, Bahizwala, Tamerpushpi
Gujarati - Dhawdi
Marathi - Dhayti
Kannada - Dhatki
Telugu - Dhatuki
Latin - Woodfordia, Ploreawanda
Precautions: Taking excessive quantity of downy grislea can cause stomach worms.
Dosage: One should take 3 to 5 grams powder of downy grislea flowers and leaves.
Useful in Different Diseases:
1. Abscess (Ulcers): Boil flowers of downy grislea in Persian Manna plant’s (Zwasa) oil. Applying this mixture is useful to cure burnt wound, bacillus, wound, old wound and nerves wound. It also checks poisoning.
2. Diarrhea of pregnant:
- Mix a little quantity of downy grislea flowers, gum of silk cotton (Mochrus) and oval leaved rose way (Indrazav) together to make the powder. Taking two grams this powder with water is useful to prevent diarrhea of pregnant woman.
- Giving about 10 grams powder of Downy grislea flowers with water, honey and sugar candy to the woman is useful to get relief in diarrhea of pregnant.
3. Children toothache:
- Mix downy grislea flowers, piper and Indian gooseberry juice with honey. Apply prepared mixture on dentition, it parts provides relief in dentition pain and toothache.
- Grind equal quantity of downy grislea leaves and flower together and boil it to make a decoction. Gargling with this decoction provides relief in all the diseases of teeth.
4. Blood leucorrhoea:
- Filter 10 grams powder of downy grislea flowers with a thin cloth after that mix this powder with 10 grams sugar-candy. Taking prepared medicine with milk twice a day is beneficial to get relief in blood leucorrhoea. It makes menses active.
- Taking about 10 grams powder of Downy grislea flower with honey or boiled rice water twice a day regularly is useful to get relief in leucorrhoea.
- Lick downy grislea flower with honey, it cures blood leucorrhoea.
5. Fever caused by gas and bile disorder: Mix downy grislea leaves and dry ginger and boil it to make a decoction and mix sugar. Giving this medicine to the patient is useful to cure fever caused by gas and bile disorders.
6. Diarrhea and bloody diarrhea: Grind 10 grams downy grislea flowers and 6 grams cuscus together and then boil with half kilograms water until remain 1/8 parts then put down. Mix two ml honey and one spoon sugar-candy in prepared mixture and give to the pregnant twice a day. It is effective medicine to prevent loose-motion of pregnant woman, small children and weak persons.
7. Bacillary dysentery: Mix one spoon powder of downy grislea flowers with two spoons honey. This medicine should be taken with one cup of whey 2-3 times a day to prevent bacillary dysentery.
8. Hemorrhage: Taking one spoon powder of downy grislea flowers with two spoons honey is beneficial to cure bloody piles, blood leucorrhoea or other types of bleeding.
9. Fever caused by bile disorder: Fever caused by bile disorder is cured by taking one spoon powder of downy grislea flower with Gulkanda twice a day.
10. Teeth diseases: Boil equal quantity of downy grislea leaves and flowers to make a decoction. Gargle with this decoction thrice a day; it provides quick relief in teeth diseases.
10. Burning sensation: If someone has been suffering from burning sensation in the body, should apply a paste made from downy grislea flowers and rose water on the affected parts. It ends body burning sensation.
11. Fire’s burnt wound: Mix the powder of downy grislea flowers with coconut oil. Applying this mixture on burnt wound is useful to end burning sensation and pain. It also recovers the wound quickly.
12. Conceive: Mix the powder of Neelkamal with equal powder of downy grislea flower. Taking this medicine with honey twice a day even before five days of menses starting makes conceive successful. If once time, this treatment is failed, again try this treatment in next menses, now will provide successes.
13. Spermatorrhoea (Permeh): Grind powder of downy grislea flowers, Pathani Lodhra and sandal in equal quantity together to make the powder. Taking one spoon powder with honey thrice a day regularly for some weeks is beneficial to cure spermatorrhoea.
14. Blood disorder due to bile: One spoon juice of downy grislea should be taken with one spoon powder of its flowers to get quick relief in blood disorder due to bile.
15. Chronic wound: Mix linseed oil and powder of downy grislea flowers with honey. One should apply this mixture on the affected part to cure chronic wound them.
16. Nose-bleeding: Grind downy grislea flowers, gums of silk cotton (Mochrus), Pathani Lodhra, juice of mango stone and juice of madder root (Majeeth) with sugar syrup. Filter this mixture with a cloth. Smell it to the patient, it prevents nose-bleeding.
17. Spleen diseases: Take about 2 to 3 gram any one powder with 50 grams jaggery (gur) from these medicines as downy grislea powder flowers, powder of lead wort root, turmeric powder and powder of mudar leaves. It cures spleen diseases.
18. Stomach worms: Taking 3 grams powder of downy grislea flowers with fresh water in empty stomach kills stomach worms within a short time.
19. Bloody piles: Taking syrup of downy grislea flowers cures bloody piles. One should take one spoon powder with two spoons honey 2-3 times a day to get relief in bloody piles, blood leucorrhoea or other types of bleeding.
20. White leucorrhoea:
- Take two spoons powder of downy grislea flowers with approximate three grams honey on stale mouth in the morning and evening before taking meal. It provides relief in white leucorrhoea.
- Taking 1 spoon powder of downy grislea flowers mixed sugar-candy with milk or water twice a day is beneficial to get relief in white leucorrhoea.
- Dissolve 10 grams powder of downy grislea flower or one spoon flour of without paddy boiled rice (arava chaval) in one cup of water. Take it in the morning and evening, it provides benefit in white leucorrhoea.
- Spread the powder of downy grislea flower on the blains, it provides benefit.
- The decoction made from downy grislea flowers should be taken by the patient, and should wash the wound with this decoction too. It cures blains.
- Taking 1-3 grams powder of downy grislea flowers with honey and whey twice a day is useful to prevent loose-motions.
- Cook five grams downy grislea flowers, five grams Lodhra and five grams Smilax officinalis (Sariva) to make a decoction. Diarrhea can be prevented by taking this decoction with honey.
- Grind equal quantity of downy grislea flowers, white common sal (Ral) and beel seeds together to make the powder. Taking four grams powder with lime cold by iron is useful to get relief in diarrhoea.
23. Bascillary dysentery:
- Take 1-3 grams powder of downy grislea flowers with honey or whey twice a day regularly, it provides relief.
- Grind equal quantity of downy grislea flowers, beel fruit’s pulp, lodhra skin, pauonia odorata (Sugandhvala) and pothos officinalis (Gajpipal) together after that prepare a decoction from it. Taking twenty grams of this medicine twice a day regularly checks diarrhea.
24. Menses problems: Grind 5-6 seeds of downy grislea and give to suffered women with milk twice a day. It provides relief in menses pain.
25. Menopause problems: Taking 10 grams powder of downy grislea flowers with honey or rice water twice a day is useful to cure blood leucorrhoea caused by menopause.
26. Hurt: 2 grams powder made by downy grislea can be used twice a day to cure hurt.
- Grind downy grislea flower, black berry, cardamom, madder root (Majeeth), lajwanti, gum of silk cotton (Mochrus) and common sal together to make the powder and filter this powder. Put it in vagina or mix it with ghee and apply on the vagina. It provides relief in leucorrhoea.
- Mix one spoon powder of downy grislea flower and one spoon sugar candy together. Take it in the morning and evening daily for some weeks, it cures leucorrhoea.
- Make a decoction from downy grislea flower and giving it to women for 3 days continuously. It cures leucorrhoea.
28. Herpes zoster: Applying powder of downy grislea flowers on the pimples provides quick relief in pain and swelling.
29. Headache: One should rub with downy grislea leave’s juice over the head or forehead to cure headache caused by bile disorders.