DODDER (AMAR BEL*)
Dodder is a creeper, which depends on others tree that can be called ‘The magic of nature’. This creeper (without root) spreads on the tree, takes juice through this tree. Dodder color is yellow and leaves are very thin like little. White flowers grow in bunches on the dodder creeper as karnaphool in the winter seasons. Its seeds color is light yellow like Indian mustard. Mostly, this creeper grows in January-February and May-June months. It dries in the winter season. This creeper grows on which, that tree becomes dry completely.
Name in different languages:
English - Dodder
Hindi - Amar Bel, Aakash Bel
Sanskrit - Aakash Balli, Aakash Valli
Gujarati - Akaas bel, Amarbel
Bengali - Swarnlata, Aalok Lata
Telugu - Nulu Tega
Arabic - Kasoosehind
Parsian - Afteemoon
Latin - Kaskuta Riflexa
Color: Its creeper is yellow.
Taste: It is spicy and pungent in taste.
Structure: Dodder spreads on other trees as string. It has no root. It is yellow and has white color flowers.
Nature: Dodder creeper is hot and dry in nature. It’s all the parts are used as medicines.
Dosage: About twenty grams dodder creeper can be used.
Quality: Dodder is heavy in digestible, pungent in taste and cures the eyes diseases. It provides relief in eyes inflammation and ends bile disorders, kapha disorders and joints pain too. It increases sperm count and body energy.
Useful in Different Diseases:
1. Itching: Apply a paste of ground dodder creeper on the affected parts to get relief in itching.
2. Stomach worms: Make a decoction by boiling equal quantity of dodder creeper and dried grapes with water and thereafter filter it. After that, take three spoons this decoction at bed time regularly to destroy stomach worms.
3. Alopecia: If any person suffers from alopecia, grind dodder creeper with water and apply it on the affected head twice a day for 4-5 weeks regularly carefully. It provides relief in baldness caused by hair falling.
4. Dwarfism (Children height): If any child suffers from dwarfism, dry dodder creeper (which sticks on the mango tree) and prepare the powder from it after grinding. After that, give 1 spoon this powder to the suffered child with water twice a day for some months regularly to increase height.
5. Stomach diseases: Grind seeds of dodder creeper with water and apply it on the stomach and tie bandage on same part. Using this process provides relief in gas disorders, belching, surfeited, stomachache and spasm of the stomach.
6. Gonorrhoea and Syphilis: Take two spoons juice of dodder creeper thrice a day regularly to get relief in syphilis and gonorrhoea completely within some weeks.
7. Liver problems: If someone suffers from liver hardness or liver enlargement, he should take three spoons decoction of dodder creeper thrice a day for some weeks regularly because it provides relief in liver disorders.
8. Blood disorders: Mix two spoons decoction of dodder creeper with equal quantity of honey and give it to the patient thrice a day, it provides relief in blood disorders.
9. Hair problems:
- Grind dodder creeper with sesame oil and apply it on the head. It provides relief in alopecia and makes the hair root strong.
- Boil about fifty grams ground dodder creeper with one liter water and wash the hair with it. It makes the hair golden and shiny. It is also useful in alopecia and dandruff.
10. Eyes swelling: Mix sugar with about 10 ml juice of dodder creeper and coat it on the eyes to get relief in cataract and eye swelling.
11. Brain disorders: Take about 10-20 ml juice of dodder creeper with water to end brain disorders.
12. Stomach diseases:
- Tie boiled creeper of dodder on the stomach to end belching etc. diseases.
- Mix 500 ml juice or one gram powder of dodder creeper with one kilogram sugar-candy and thereafter cook it on slow heat to prepare syrup. After that, take about two grams this syrup with 2 ml water twice a day to get relief in colic pain and stomachache quickly.
13. Liver diseases:
- Drink 40-60 ml decoction of dodder creeper and coat it on the stomach after grinding. It provides relief in liver enlargement.
- Constipation is eliminated caused by fever and liver enlargement by taking about ¼ gram juice of dodder.
- Take 10 ml juice of dodder creeper twice a day to reduce liver enlargement. It cures all the types of diseases of the liver.
14. Sciatica: Giving about ¼ grams decoction of dodder creeper to the progeny woman is useful to cure sciatica.
16. Piles: Shuffle five grams powder of black pepper with ten ml juice of dodder creeper and give it to the patient to drink in the morning. It provides relief in both the types of piles (bloody and flatulence) within three days. It helps in stool clearly and ends the swelling of other parts of the body.
17. Syphilis: Its juice is very useful in syphilis.
18. Joints pain:
- Give the steam of dodder creeper to the patient to end swelling and rheumatism pain quickly. After that, take bath with water and mop the body with any thick cloth. Using this process provides relief in joints pain. The patient should take ghee in enough quantity.
- Testicles’ swelling ends by giving steam of dodder creeper.
19. Tonic (Powerful body): Crush 11.50 grams fresh dodder creeper and tie it with a clean thin cloth. Put this packet in 500 ml cow milk and cook it on light fire until it remains ¼ parts then put it down and mix sugar-candy in it after cooling. After that, take this preparation to end the body weakness. The patient should live with celibacy during this treatment.
20. Blood disorders: Make a decoction by boiling four grams fresh dodder creeper with water and give it to the patient, it ends bile disorders and purifies the blood.
21. Baby diseases:
- Tie dodder creeper with cotton yarns in any holy time and put on throat and arm of the baby. It is useful to cure many types of diseases of the baby.
- If any baby suffers from relapsing fever, put on dodder creeper in the throat fever coming fever. Fever does not occur.
22. Alopecia: Boil 250 grams dodder creeper with three liters water until it remains half water then put it down. After that, wash the hair with this preparation in the morning to make the hair long.
23. Baldness: One should rub juice of dodder creeper on the head regularly because it grows new hair.
24. Sterility: Dry blue dodder creeper (which spreads on the tree as plum like yellow thread) under shadow and prepare the powder from it after grinding. The suffered woman should take three grams this powder with three ml water after 3 days of menses. This medicine should be taken for nine days regularly. By using this process women become pregnant after first sexual intercourse. If someone doesn’t get any success, don’t fear and try again. This is also known as the name of ‘Chhachhkhel’. Taking a decoction of raw yarn of dodder creeper is helpful for abortion.
25. Louses: Grind green dodder creeper and mix it with water thereafter wash the hair with this water, it will destroy the louses. Mix ground dodder creeper with oil and apply it on the head, it grows the new hair.
26. Abortion: By giving 80 to 90 ml decoction of dodder to woman four to three times in a day abortion becomes.
- Wash the wound or itching part with a decoction of dodder creeper to get relief in itching or wound
- Grind green dodder creeper with butter and mix it with dry ginger. Wound is cured by applying this mixture on the affected part.
- Grind 2-4 grams powder or fresh creeper or dodder and mix it with dry ginger and ghee and thereafter coat it on the affected part, it cures chronic wound.
- Mix equal quantity of powder of dodder creeper and dry ginger and thereafter mix it with ghee. Wound is cured by coating this mixture on the affected part.
28. Bile enlargement: Take about half to one spoon juice of dodder creeper to eliminate constipation and all disorders of the liver. It is also useful to reduce bile enlargement and inflammation.
29. Stomach enlargement: Take 20-40 ml decoction of ground green dodder creeper twice a day to control on stomach enlargement caused by liver or spleen enlargement. Keep attention that yellow dodder creeper should not be used.
30. Cosmetics: Another grade of dodder creeper is found in dodder-cast, which is more green than yellow. Grind this green dodder creeper with water and wash head, it destroys head louses. Mix it with oil and rub on the head regularly, it makes hair long.
31. Children diseases: Tie piece of dodder creeper on the throat, hand or hair to cure all the types of children diseases.