We cannot get easily of chiretta plant. Mostly, it is found in Nepal because Nepal is origin country of chiretta. In India, its plant is found in hilly areas from Kashmir to Arunachal Pradesh in Himachal Pradesh. Chiretta is also cultivated in the hilly areas of South India and Madhya Pradesh. Its 2 years old plant is 2-4 feet high. Its leaves are like spear, pointed, 2-3 inches long, 3-4 centimeters wide, smooth and have 5 edges. Its stem is thick, long and has branches. Its fruit’s diameter is 6-7 millimeters in egg shape. Seeds are smooth, small and have many edges. A fruit contains a large number of seeds. Its flowers appear in the rainy season and fruits in August to September. Its fruits are collected after ripening in the winter seasons.
Name in different languages:
English : Chiretta
Hindi : Chiretta
Sanskrit : Kirat, Kiratikt
Marathi : Kiraet
Gujarati : Kariyatu
Bengali : Chireta
Latten : Swertiya, Chirayta
Color: Chiretta is green.
Taste: It taste is bitter.
Structure: Chiretta is a kind of grass, which is found in Nepal.
Nature: It is hot in nature.
Precaution: Taking over quantity of chiretta may be harmful for hot natured persons.
Bad effects removal: Anisun removes the bad effects of chiretta.
Compare: Chiretta can be compared with saffron.
Dosage: About 6 grams chiretta and 50-100 milliliters its decoction should be used.
According to Ayurvedha, chiretta juice is pungent and bitter in taste, is excitable and hot in nature. It ends fever, burning sensation and kills worms too. Chiretta normalizes tridosa (vatta, Pitta, kapha) and reduces the enlargement of spleen and liver. It is used to cure many diseases as indigestion, acidity, constipation, diarrhoea, jaundice, sprue, heart weakness, bloody bile, blood disorders, amoebic, skin diseases, diabetes and rheumatism. It provides vitality to the person. It quenches thirst and increases appetite too.
Chiretta keeps the brain happy. Taking chiretta helps to discharge urine clearly. It cures swelling and makes the heart strong and powerful. Chiretta is useful to cure dropsy, chest pain and several types of diseases of the uterus. It purifies the blood and cures chronic fever. The bitterness of this medicine is its quality. It is used to cure asthma, malaria, fever, typhoid, kalajar (the liver and spleen become enlarge in this disease) and ends body weakness as well as stomach worms too.
According to Scientists: After chemical analyzing of chiretta it is found that it contains an ofelic acid in yellow colour, two types of bitterness (tikt), glycoside named chirainin and amerogentin, two crutilya finaol named gentiyopicrean, crystals in yellow colour, suarchirin and genthon. It is remarkable that the glycoside named amerogentine is one of the bitterest elements in the whole world.
According to Yunani Medical Science: chiretta is hot in nature and dry of second class. It is a famous medicine in the world to cure fever. Chiretta makes strong to the heart and liver. It removes the swelling of the stomach and liver. It is useful to end retention of urine, uterus pain, anus pain, kidney pain, itching, cough and constipation, and the skin diseases. It increases eyesight, digestive power and appetite. Worse fever comes down by its use.
Useful in different diseases:
Wound after burning: Make a paste by grinding chiretta with vinegar and rose water. Applying this paste on the affected part is useful to cure wound soon.
Eyes diseases: Grind chiretta with water and coat it on the eyes. Its use increases eyesight and also provides a lot of relief in the eyes diseases.
- Soak about 4 spoons chiretta powder in water at overnight. In the next morning, filter this preparation and drink 3-3 spoons 3-4 times a day. Using this process is useful to get relief in normal fever.
- Rub chiretta oil on the whole body, cures jaundice and weakness along with chronic fever.
- Taking one cup chiretta decoction thrice a day for some days regularly is useful to cure all trouble of malaria.
- Mix 10 ml chiretta juice with 10 ml orange juice and give it to the patient thrice a day, it provides relief in malaria.
Chronic fever: Grind equal quantity of chiretta, dry ginger, sweet flag, Indian gooseberry and tinospora together. Taking 1 spoon this mixture 3-4 times a day is useful to cure chronic fever.
Vomiting of pregnancy: Taking chiretta powder with honey is useful to provide relief in vomiting pregnancy.
Swelling: Make a decoction by boiling equal quantity of chiretta and dry ginger with water. Giving one cup of this decoction to the patient thrice a day is useful to end body swelling.
- Chiretta paste is excellent medicine to end itching and cure boils and pimples. The paste should be coated on the affected part.
- Soak chiretta leaves in water at overnight. In the morning, giving this water to the patient is useful to purify the blood and cure the skin diseases.
- Soak 1 spoon chiretta with 2 cup of water at overnight. In the morning, filter this mixture and give it to the patient to drink. Using this process is useful to cure boils-pimples, liver problems, nausea and anorexia. Sugar candy can be mixed with this water for taste if it is not drunk because of bitterness.
Swelling of stomach and liver: Half spoon chiretta powder should be taken twice a day to end the swelling of the stomach and liver.
Other diseases: Taking half spoon chiretta powder with honey or pure ghee twice a day regularly is useful to cure rheumatism, asthma, blood disorders, retention of urine, cough, constipation, anorexia, diabetes, acidity, heart problems and swelling of the trachea (breathing pipe).
Fever due to vatta-kapha:
- Make a decoction by boiling equal quantity of chiretta, nutgrass, pauonia odorata, solonum xanthocarpum, solonum indicum, small caltraps, tinospora, dry ginger, sarivan, uraria picta and orissa root with water. Giving this decoction to the patient is useful to cure fever caused by vatta.
- Grind thickly chiretta, tinospora, governor’s plum, pauonia odorata, nutgrass, small caltraps, sarivan, uraria picta and dry ginger together thereafter boil this mixture with water to prepare a decoction. Give this decoction to the woman, cures fever caused by vatta.
- Make a decoction by boiling equal quantity of chiretta, dry ginger, tinospora, wild eggs plant, governor plum, long pepper root, garlic and Indian privet with water. Taking this decoction is useful to cure fever caused by Vatta and Pitta disorders.
- Make a decoction by boiling equal quantity of chiretta, nutgrass, tinospora and dry ginger with water. This decoction should be drunk to cure fever caused by vatta and pitta disorders.
- Boil chiretta, cyperus, tinospora and dry ginger 5 grams each with 150 ml water until it remains 50 grams then filter it. Taking this decoction twice a day is useful to cure fever caused by Vatta and kappha disorders.
- Mix 1/3 cup of water with chiretta juice and give it to the patient thrice a day as well as one cup of milk can be taken. It is useful to cure typhoid fever.
- Taking 1 ml chiretta juice with water twice a day is useful.
Asthma or breathing problems: The patient who suffers from asthma or breathing problems should take chiretta decoction because it is useful medicine.
Uterus swelling: Wash vagina with chiretta decoction as well as grind chiretta with water and coat it on the vagina and abdomen parts. It is useful to end uterus swelling caused by cold.
Hiccup: Taking about 480-600 milligrams chiretta with honey or sugar (shakkar) twice a day provides relief in hiccups.
Retching of pregnant woman: Taking 600 milligrams to 1.80 grams chiretta with honey and sugar twice a day is useful to cure retching of pregnant woman.
- Make the powder by grinding fine chiretta, pierorhiza, tricot (dry ginger, black pepper, long pepper) nutgrass, holarrhena antidysentrica 10 grams each, 20 grams white lead-wort and 1.60 grams peel of kurchi together thereafter filter it. Taking this powder with jiggery syrup is useful to cure sprue (Diarrhoea).
- Make the powder by grinding equal quantity of chiretta, pierorhiza, trikuta (dry ginger, black pepper, long pepper), nutgrass, holarrhena antidysentrica, peel of kurchi and white lead-wort together. Sprue is cured by taking 3-6 grams this powder with curd or whey twice a day regularly.
Indignation: The person who suffers from indigestion should take infusion of chiretta because it. increases appetite
Acidity: Grind chiretta and liquorices with water and mix sugar in it. Taking this preparation provides relief in acidity.
Urticaria: Make a decoction by boiling chiretta, malabar nut, pierorhiza, trichosanthes dioica, trifala (Myrabolam chebulie, beleric myrabolam and Indian gooseberry), red sandal, neem bark 5 grams each with 2 cups of water. Give this decoction to the patient; it provides relief in urticaria.
- Mix chiretta, basil juice, decoction of neem bark and neem oil together. Giving this preparation to the patient is useful to kill stomach worms and end stomachache.
- Taking one cup decoction of chiretta and Indian gooseberry before going to bed kills stomach worms.
To increase breast milk: Make a decoction by boiling equal quantity of chiretta, dry ginger, cedar wood, panchang of cissampelos pareira (stem, fruit, root leaves and flower) mustakmool, marsdenia tenacissima (moorva), smilax zeylanica (sariva), gudduchitana, holarhhena antidysentrica and pierorhiza with water. Taking 14-28 milliliters this decoction increases breast milk.
Cracked nipples: Applying ground chiretta on the cracked nipples is useful to get relief in cracked nipples.
Stomachache: Make a decoction by boiling chiretta and root of castor tree with water thereafter give it to the patient, it provides relief in stomachache.
Head ringworm: Apply the powder of chiretta panchang (root, stem, leaves, fruits and flower) on the head ringworms and its wound. It is useful to cure head ringworm.
Blood disorder caused by vatta: Taking about 480 to 1800 milligrams chiretta powder with honey or sugar twice a day ends blood disorders caused by vatta