Carrying the sufferer to hospital on a stretcher
CARRYING THE SUFFERER TO HOSPITAL ON A STRETCHER
When a person is injured in any accident, etc., there is often need of a stretcher for carrying him/her to hospital. The injured person can be carried to the hospital only on a stretcher by making him/her to lie down on it in comfortable position. Well, the stretcher is available in the hospital all the time, but it may be little difficult to get a stretcher on the spot of accident. For this purpose, a stretcher can be made by the use of things and articles present around that place.
The process of making a stretcher-
- First of all, take two strong about 2 to 2½ meters long sticks as cylindrical in shape.
- Then, take a strong piece of canvas about 2 to 3 meters in length for tying it with the sticks.
- Stitch both the long sides of it in such a way so that both the sticks could be put in each side.
- For making it as tight, two sticks are fixed on each wide sides as slanting position.
- The sticks should be made smooth by scratching so that they could not pricked in the palm of holders.
- A pillow can be placed on a side of it, but this type of pillow should be filled with straw or small pieces of clothes, but not with cotton.
- One end of this pillow should keep as opened so that the things filled inside it could be taken out or filled extra of such thing in it according to the comforts of the sufferer.
- For making such type of stretcher, first of all take two thick stick or bamboo about 2½ meters in length and a strong blanket.
- Then after folding it, insert one of the sticks or bamboos in it.
- After that, wrap both the ends of the blanket on other bamboo.
- If the blanket is too wide, wrap one of its sides on a bamboo and another side on the second bamboo.
- The sufferer can be carried to the hospital by making him/her to lie down on this stretcher comfortably.
- In emergency when a thick blanket is not available, a stretcher can be made with the use of 2-3 coats or baskets.
- For this purpose, the arms of the coats are turned inwards.
- Then, the sticks are inserted in both the arms the coat after closing its buttons.
- The arms are absent in bosket, so the sticks are inserted in the holes present at the place of them after closing its buttons.
- A normal stretcher can be also made by tying wide stripes at both the sticks at little distances.
- If the sticks are not available, but blanket is available, the sufferer can be carried to the hospital on it.
- For this purpose, make him/her to lie down in between blanket.
- Then, roll both the long sides of the blanket to the nearest of the sufferer.
- Now, 2-2 people should need to stand on each side of the sufferer and lift the blanket with holding its rolled sides.
- If stretcher or blanket is not available, the sufferer can be carried to the hospital by making him/her as lie down on flat long piece of wood, wooden door or on the seat of a car, etc. spread straw or husk, etc. on the wooden flat piece or wooden door before making him/her as lie down on it.
- You should be very careful and use the right method to carry the sufferer to the hospital who is completely in unconscious stage or who can neither sit nor stand nor change the sides due to getting serious injury on his/her head, chest, vertebral column, etc. otherwise the sufferer may get additional harm. For this purpose, you have also need of three more people who should already know well about the method to carry the sufferer and should follow you only.
- For it, all the three people should need to stand at the side of the sufferer opposite to the affected part.
- Then, they should need to bend from their knees towards the sufferer’s legs and move him/her together as little gently.
- All the three people should need to place their hands under the sufferer’s body and lift him/her little up.
- At this time, you should need to move the stretcher under the sufferer.
- Now, all the three people should need to make him/her as lie down on the stretcher gently.
- After reaching to the hospital, all these manners said above can be repeated to taking out the sufferer from the stretcher.
- First of all, land the stretcher very carefully.
- Then, all the three people should need to lift the sufferer up to their knees together.
- After that, the sufferer can be made lie down on the bed.
1-2 blankets are always present on the stretcher and each of them are kept in such a manner that two folds of them are spread on the stretcher and their free ends are hanged downwards. 2-2 folds of both the blankets are hanged. Later, the sufferer can be covered with these hanged ends. In most of the cases, it is necessary to keep the sufferer warm and two folds of the blankets are enough to keep his/her body warm.
If the blankets are not available on the stretcher, the sufferer can be made as lie down on it. Anything like- towel, etc. can be used for covering him/her.
In many cases, you do get 3-4 people on the spot of accident. In such condition, the sufferer can be carried to the hospital easily after making him/her as lie down on the blanket with the help of only one person. for this purpose, first of all the long side of the blanket is rolled to the nearest of him/her and then by moving him/her little, the blanket present under him/her is removed out and his/her side is changed.
In case of hurt or injury on the vertebral column (spines), make him/her as lie down on his/her stomach.
Most of the sufferers are made as lie down on their back and in the same posture; they are carried to the hospital. The posture (position) of the sufferer on the stretcher while carrying to the hospital depends on affected parts.
If the sufferer has gotten hurts or injuries on the upper parts of his/her body like- chest, head, stomach, arms, etc., it is more comfortable for him/her to sit instead of making him/her as lie down. If his/her legs are fractured, it is better to tie a pillow or towel on his/her legs before carrying him/her on the stretcher. If pillow or towel, etc. are not available, the affected leg is tied with the healthy one.
In case of getting hurt or injuries on the neck, place a small pillow under his neck after making him/her as lie down on his/her back on any hard surface as well as place the bag of sands in both the sides.
Make the unconscious person as partial lie down on the stretcher, it will allow the bleeding or vomiting as smoothly from his/her nose or mouth, but will not trapped in breathing pipe. The condition of unconscious person also depends on his/her other injuries or hurt.
If a person has gotten hurts or injuries on his/her chest, he/she should be made as lie down on the stretcher as just he/she had lied down on the spot example- if he/she has lied down on his/her back, he/she should be carried to the hospital as lied down on his/her back only, etc.
If a person has gotten hurts or injuries on his/her vertebral column or his/her vertebral column has been fractured, you should be very careful while carrying him/her to the hospital and do not allow him/her to move or get jerk even little.
While carrying the sufferer on the stretcher, keep the feet of the stretcher ahead. The stretcher can be move or turned at a height or slope. According normal principles, the sufferer’s head is kept ahead while carrying him/her on the stretcher passing through slope in case of getting hurts or injuries in the lower parts of his/her body. while climbing to the height, the head of the sufferer is kept ahead. While climbing the sufferer into ambulance too, the head side is put first.
If the sufferer has been lied down in any mine, pits or on any narrow place, etc., follow ways can be adopted for taking him/her out from that place.
In case of two people for carrying- Both the two people should need to stand facing towards the sufferer- one is on the left side and other is on the right side of him/her. First person should bend towards the sufferer’s head and bring his/her forearms under his/her shoulders and the second person should bring his/her left arm under the sufferer’s thighs and right arms under his/her knees after bending. After that, both the people go ahead together as bending posture. They should not lift the sufferer too up. After coming to the stretcher, both the people should need to put 1-1 steps on each side of it and place the sufferer on the stretcher gently and carefully.
When three people are present for carrying the sufferer- keep the stretcher towards the sufferer’s head. One of the people should stand on one side of the sufferer and other on another side. They should stand with facing to each other. the first people should need to sit near the sufferer’s legs by putting his/her left knee on the floor and with bending his/her right knee and then put both the hands under the sufferer’s knees.
The second and third people should also sit like that of first one (in the same posture) near the sufferer’s head. Now, they should need to bring out their hands through the under of the sufferer’s head and hips and hold them together.
Now, all the three people should need to stand together and walk slowly towards the stretcher. At this time, they should be careful and should not allow his/her body to move even little and he/she remains in the same posture. After coming to the stretcher, they should need to make the sufferer as lie down on it gently.
When the sufferer is present at any height or upper floor, it is very difficult job to bring him/her down after giving primary treatment. it becomes more difficult when the sufferer is unconscious.
For bringing down the unconscious person from upper floor, the bed can be also used after turning it as reverse. Make him/her as lie down on it after spreading blanket, etc. on it. Tie him/her with the bed at 6-7 points with wide stripes. Tie a strong rope in both the long side of it at their four ends tightly and then tie the other ends of all the four ropes together resulting the whole system will be made like a swing. Now, the sufferer can be brought down easily with the help of rope.