BLACK WOOD (SHISHAM*)
ROSE WOOD, SISSOO
Its wood is used in buildings and furniture. Planted trees of black wood are found all over India. Its tree grows itself too. Its wood and seeds have oil which is used in medicines.
Name in different languages:
English - Black wood
Hindi - Shisho, Shisham
Sanskrit - Bhasmgarbha, Shinshpa,
Gujarati - Sisam
Marathi - Shishav
Bengali - Shishugadh, Shisho
Punjabi - Sharei, Sisam
Telugu - Shishupa, Erubudu
Kannada - Biridee
Surname - Febasis
Structure: The trees of black wood are 100 feet high. Its bark is thick, brown and tattered in length. New branches of black wood tree are soft that can fold easily. Its leaves are 1 to 3 inches long, wide and in spinning top shape. There are 3 to 5 leaves at one stem of leaves. Black wood flowers are white and yellow. Its pods are long, flat and have 2 to 4 seeds. Its wood is light yellow and brown. Black wood has another kind also of which wood is dark brown.
Chemical structure: The stem of black wood tree contains oil. Its pods possess tannin acid and seeds contain stable oil.
Quality: Black wood is bitter and pungent. It can be the cause of abortion and purifies the blood. It is antiphlogistic and causes heat in sperm. It is useful in the treatment of white flecks, vomiting, abdominal diseases, boil and pimples. It is expectorant and kills stomach worms. Black wood is hot by nature, pungent, spicy and bitter. It is a good remedy in hiccups, swelling, erysipelas, wound and leprosy. It kills stomach worms and brings the phlegm out. The tree of black wood, Arjuna and sandal are considered useful in spermathorrhoea, leprosy, obesity and jaundice. Fatness reduces by its use. Black wood, triphala, lead wort and bastard teak are useful in such cases as- lack of sperm, hemorrhoids, spermathorrhoea, jaundice, diabetes and obesity. The wood of sissoo (sisham) tree is used to cure leprosy and pimples. It also destroys worms.
Useful in different diseases:
1. Strangury: Drink 50 to 100 milliliters decoction made by boiling the leaves of black wood thrice a day. Its use provides relief.
2. Fluid of sperm with urine: Take 10 to 15 milliliters juice of black wood’s leaves thrice a day. Its use provides relief in this disease.
3. Cholera: Make tablets of black wood with fragrant and spicy medicines. Taking these tablets regularly provides relief.
4. Eye diseases: Mix honey in the juice of black wood’s leaves and drop in the eyes. Its use gets rid of conjunctivitis.
5. Breast’s swelling: Heat the leaves of black wood tree and tie these leaves on the breast. Wash breast with the decoction prepared by boiling its leaves. Thus a woman gets rid of breast’s swelling.
6. Stomach inflammation: Taking 10 to 15 milliliters juice of black wood’s leaves provides relief in stomach inflammation. Take 10 to 15 milliliters juice of black wood’s leaves twice a day. Its use also provides relief in jaundice.
7. Fever: Mix 20 ml juice of black wood, 320 ml water and 160 ml milk together then boil it on low flame until milk remains only then give it to the patient to drink thrice a day. It provides relief in all types of fever.
8. Sciatica (Joints’ pain): Prepare thick powder by grinding 10 kilograms bark of black wood tree and boil it in 23 litre water until it remains 1\8 part. Then cool and filter it. Boil it again to thicken. Take 10 grams this mixture with ghee mixed boiled milk thrice a day for 21 days. Its use gets rid of sciatica.
9. Blood disorders:
- Immerse one kilogram scrap (Burada) of black wood in 3 litre water and boil it until hald water remains then filter it. Thereafter mix 750 grams ground sugar in this preparation (Bura) to prepare syrup. Drinking prepared syrup purifies the blood.
- Drink the syrup of 3 to 6 grams black wood’s scrap to purify the blood.
- Boil 10 lm juice of black wood in 500 ml water until half water remains and mix black wood syrup in it. Drinking this mixture twice a day for 40 days regularly provides relief in leprosy.
- Mix the paste of black wood’s leaves in sesame oil and apply it on the scratched skin. Its use provides quick relief.
- Drink 50 to 100 milliliters decoction of black wood’s leaves or scrap to get rid of boils and pimples.
11. Skin diseases: Apply oil of black wood on the skin to get rid of skin diseases. It is beneficial in itching with blueness, inflammation of the body and chronic wounds.
12. Metrorrhagia: Take 10 to 15 milliliters juice of black wood’s leaves twice a day. The victim of metrorrhagia gets rid of this disease by the use of this medicine.
13. Dysmenorrhoea: Take 3 to 6 grams powder of black wood or 50 to 100 milliliters decoction of black wood twice a day. Its use provides relief.
14. Phlegm: Take 10 to 15 drops oil of black wood mixing in hot milk twice a day. Its use brings the phlegm out.
15. Blood amoebic dysentery: Shuffle 6 grams green leaves of black wood tree and equal amount of mint leaves in water to prepare syrup. Drinking this syrup provides relief in blood amoebic dysentery.
16. Wound: Apply oil of black wood’s leaves on the wounds. Its use heals them up soon. It is also useful in the wounds of leprosy.
17. Leucorrhoea: Grind the leaves and flowers of black wood tree and cardamom 40 grams each, 20 grams sugar-candy and 16 black peppers together. Taking this mixture provides relief in leucorrhoea.
18. Sperm disability: Soak green and soft leaves of black wood tree in water filled in a soil pot then cover it at night. Wring these leaves in the morning and filter this water. Mix sugar-candy in this water and make the patient drink. Its use provides relief and enhances sperm count.
19. Leprosy: Apply black wood oil or its leave’s oil on the affected part. Its use provides relief.
20. Pain in the nerve: Mix the root and leaves of black wood tree with equal quantity of rock salt. Prepare a paste of this preparation mixing with vinegar. Apply this paste on the affected part to get rid of neural pain. Its use provides relief soon.